Solo rating reward!

Played quite a few solo’s got to 1800 fairly easy then got a 2 win - 70 rating ! 3-3 0 rating then won 5 in a match I got +20 rating, WTF seriously how does this not create a toxic frustrating system solo shuffle seemed to be the answer to everyone’s prayers. But honestly only good for certain classes and 9min average wait ends up to be 36min queue!

5 Likes

who cares about solo shuffle, it should never have had rating, ppl care about it as if it mattered, no1 cares, 3s is where you get rewards, any1 who got a reward from solo shuffle is never taken seriously in real 3s and will never be invited if he links his ‘‘rank 1 solo shuffle achievement for a glad push team in 3s’’ and the reason is simple, the playstyle in solo shuffle is NOT the same as in real 3s, you just go in pop cds and hope something dies, in the chaos, you dont ever play it like a cordinated game, and that kind of skill does NOT belong in real 3s when pushing,

5 Likes

Alright, let’s break down the way the rating system works.

It always tries to get to the average

If you’ve got, let’s say 1800 personal MMR, but you’re teamed up with two players on 1600 personal MMR, then it uses that initial MMR to determine your team’s MMR which in turn decides the opponents’ average team MMR. This is how it works in the normal ladder, we all know that, yeah?

So with it working like that, it keeps matching you up with opponents to increase the certainty of your rating as a team. Meaning if you played a team with 1700 average MMR, and won that, then it’ll try to match you up with something slightly higher, let’s say 1725 average team MMR, but your own average team MMR also increased by 25. If you win that too, then it’ll try to increase the MMR even more, even though the difference in the MMR between your team and the opponents’ didn’t change.
This effect is from the GlickoRD systems, because it tries to place people “where they belong” faster and faster if the win/loss rate shows you really don’t belong where it’s matching you.

In the Elo system this wouldn’t change from streaks, but the Glicko systems are all about stabilized ratings and destabilized ratings, to ultimately increase the theoretical accuracy of the system compared to the Elo system.

Anyway, so this rating deviation function is very unclear about how it works in the shuffle system, since it doesn’t give out wins and losses rating-wise until the shuffle has ended and then it gives 'em out all at once, so it’s kinda weird.

But anyway, so going back to the example, that’s what it normally does in the normal ladder. It’ll keep throwing opponents your way as a team, MMR being affected by your wins and losses, with the ultimate goal of making all of your ratings equal. With every win, the ones lower rated than you win more than you do, and with every loss, you lose more than they do, and eventually you all end up on the same rating.

Fun, right?

Anyway, so that part about winning and losing more, is 100% present in shuffle’s system as well. It’s trying to do the same thing there, the lower rated ones wins more than the higher rated ones, because it’s designed that way, which serves more of a purpose in the normal ladder than in the shuffle ladder.

So how can this be improved for the shuffle?

There is a way to improve it, but Blizzard kinda copypasted way more than they should have from their normal rating system. Also, to be clear, the rating system Blizzard uses is an “original adaption” of the Glicko system, which Blizzard has been using ever since wotlk started (not the classic wotlk that’s up now). They’ve also further developed it ever since then as well, so it’s not entirely the same as Glickman’s systems anymore, but the core functions are still similar.

So the way to improve it, is to slow it down. It may sound counterintuitive, but slowing it down allows for functions like putting in a maximum rating lost & won when you do either, as well as a minimum rating won when you win a round.

Through the function that puts a maximum as well as a minimum, it would let the shuffle ladder reward the win rates more “appropriately” for the game mode. It’d make people reliably win rating from 4+ wins, and lose rating from 4+ losses, but without being punished by the insane MMR matchups the game is forcing players into in shuffle.

1 Like

This is not new, Arena rating has been this way since TBC. Win 3 games get 20 rating each, lose one game lose 50 rating. It never changes.

1 Like

h ttps://ibb.co/KDWGd55

its never been about matching 0cr into 1550cr tho

tell me exactly why two 1550mmr heals would care play with 3x 0cr dps

Actually, back in TBC I used to gain 0-2 rating depending on who I met, and would lose 30-32 per loss. A lot of the matches were essentially ‘play not to lose’ since you wouldn’t gain anything.

In solo shuffle, thankfully you will at least gain MMR, but I do find the system is more punishing than it should be. 50 difference from average can have very negative consequences to your rating, as if they forgot that not your entire team is above that average in each match.

Incidentally I have also never actually played in a lobby where my MMR wasn’t equal or higher than the total average. Not sure what that’s about.

h ttps://ibb.co/GcNWRsz

this dh took 40k starsurge on round 5 and left and none gained anything :slight_smile:

tbf the guys darkness never goes on cd no matter whose team he is on

Players who don’t have long-term partners and don’t have time or don’t want to sit for 2+ hours in lfg every day? Btw that’s about 80% of pvp players.

Maybe it didn’t occur to you that players who play shuffle are not interested in 3s and don’t care what 3s players think about them? The same applies to 2s players. Not everyone is a sweaty 3s player who plays 6 hours a day. Most players log in have some fun and log out you know? Your amazing video game achievements are mostly of no interest to anyone but you.

For example 2s was more popular than 3s during SL. Maybe it happened before too, I didn’t follow the statistics, and it will probably be the same now with shuffle and 2s again. Players who don’t have gladiator ambitions, which usually means a well-coordinated skilled team and playing with voice have nothing to look for in 3s unless that game mode is really fun for them, and that’s the majority of pvp players.

4 Likes

No, it really hasn’t. Blizzard used the Elo system in TBC, with everybody starting on 1500 rating when creating a new team, and people had something called “personal rating” in the team. But the matchmaking wasn’t separate from the CR, your CR was your matchmaking. Another big difference was that you always lost what the opponents gained, and vice versa. Which is why people started on 1500 rating when creating a new team, since that was the only source of inflation back then.

But people complained that “it was an exploit to create new teams” and that it led to “uncontrolled inflation” (even though it didn’t provide any benefit other than resetting the ratings of the matches people would play, and it wouldn’t increase the meaningful inflation i.e. there’d be no change in how many rating points would “swap owners”), and also about how it took a long time to climb in the rating, so that’s why they brought in their adaption of the Glicko system in WotLK, and they’ve developed that ever since.

^ That’s why it became like that.

To be fair, there’s no wait time if you plan ahead when to play with predetermined people. It’s a shame that some people go back to the group finder after finding others to play with, but if you’re short on time you’d really benefit a lot more by sticking with the same people and scheduling when to play. (It doesn’t mean you’re limited to just 1 or 2 people, it’s still possible to have a social circle of people to play with, but the key is to schedule ahead when to play with predetermined people.)

just like scheduling raid times or something work related irl

not into that at all tbh

Put too many years of my life to something scheduled and then “forced” to be there

I stick to lfg and soloq type content and the occasional 2s with friends that type gaming suits me most

theres plenty of things in life once older that cant just find the interest on doing job interview type applications with raid guilds or sticking to raid or arena scheduled calendar times

Arena is great when it can be treat like any game that u just pick up when ever u feel like and play bit nhl and then go do something else

2 Likes

The ability to plan ahead is considered an expected part of life for many people in the world. You say you’re not into it, but in the normal ladder, people going back to the group finder every time and then complaining it’s taking forever to find people, it’s a problem that can be avoided entirely by planning ahead.

I like to play healer into lfg as it is like 5x dps to healer ratio

Dont rly have to wait at all anything if want to play and log in heal

Was a easy choise to make rly what is the most beneficial to play for lfg after experiencing some of the 2-3 hour ques for group as dps in sl

people complain about dps ques in df for soloq have no clue of real ques from sl as dps when the seasons got dry and zero casuals left and its just full on sweatlords everywhere and people excepting u to be r1 to play with them

Unless the person has ever sat staring lfg window for 3-4 hour straight on his pc absolutely bored then week later roll a healer and start playing the game then I can relate

and you think anyone that like shuffle cares about you or your sweaty neckbeard 0 in life achievement in video game arena?

5 Likes

I like watching high rated streamers doing shuffle, how they react and play when they can’t coordinate everything with their friends.

You pretty much have to watch what’s going on around you and make decisions by yourself.

2 Likes

idk but did they change something tonight?
my healers mmr seems to be beter again but didnt play many games to be sure
i got some rating for 3/3 not much but still something was the first time before that i got only +0 or +2 max

yet here you are, with 44 shuffle games played, and 11 3v3 games played this season.
You have 700 ARENA RATING in 3v3 and 1700 in soloshuffle.
And are complaining about soloshuffle not being relevant.

I can’t even say anything anymore. like what. :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

3 Likes

look at tool in prime time how many ppl looking for others to play normal arena in entire EU
compare that to other expansion like wod there was more even on one fraction then now both
soloshuffle is going to kill normal arena if they fix mmr and other problems its exactly the oposit then what he say

1 Like

yes, my only problem with soloshuffle right now is the insane wait times. It’s still better then lfg sitting, but they should really fix this already.
Give healers whatever extra benefits they want: GOLD, chance for mounts, cosmetics, extra honor, extra conquest, RATING GAIN EVEN IF they go 3-3, WHATEVER THEY WANT.
Just make the queue time lower, and really do something about leavers.

yes if they fix this problems which actually should be fixed allready then healers going to play it even without extra gold or stuff like that i think the biggest problem is that they gain 0 rating+ (im not sure) the mmr system calculates only heal vs heal for healers and not all players
thats why so many matches end with 3/3 because there is always one dps that is by far beter then the other dps so the healers cant do anything to win more then 3 except they play much much beter
this is a big problem imo

yes why not who cares all this bs about inflation … if they go up okay what is going to happen? they going to drop if they cant heal there
but with the system right now they never going to see at all xD
if you lose and get - ok you know your enemie was beter but if you win same amount as the enemie healer idk and you see one dps with 6 wins you know you as a healer its not because of you why should your be punished for that with waisting you time

but the problem is not only for healers i posted some screenshots which cant be right and this happen to many ppl
you win even 4 or 5 against higher ppl and you still get 0cr who created this system?