Speculation: WoW Classic has more players than retail in the EU and the US

Let’s look at the facts. Even 2,5 weeks after launch:

• All major WoW streamers on Twitch are streaming Classic.
  • 2.5 times as many people are browsing r/classicwow compared to r/wow as we speak.
  • I play on the Silvermoon realm, the most populated EU server. But you’ll find noone talking. Even in Stormwind AH half the people are sharded in from other realms.
  • Using dungeon finder, you often have to wait a long time even when queued up as a tank or healer, at levels below 110. And this is cross-realm!
  • LFR raid queues are loooong outside the first couple of days of reset.
  • Almost all the Classic servers are full to the brim, with layer upon layer upon layer, while a lot of the retail servers must be dead. Even Silvermoon, one of the “fullest” one, seems a bit dead.
  • I’m in a small guild, but all the other members haven’t been logged in for 17-20 days. Coincidence?

What do you think?

35 Likes

Fact: this is on the wrong forums.

Fact: this is low quality bait.

42 Likes

Argent Dawn feels the same. Queue times and all. A bit less toxic though…wonder why?

25 Likes

It’s the hyped game rn why do you think people whose livelyhood depends on popularity are playing it.

Reddit isn’t exactly a measurement.

I’m pretty sure the AH only has realm specific stuff.

M+ on alliance feels more alive and low level queues are quite short.

Dunno I don’t play LFR

Gonna be a yikes from me, nothings dead and some of the 6 full servers don’t even have queues at noon lol.

Coincidence that people interested in classic are playing classic?
No, not really.

I think you’re tripping.

9 Likes

I play on a low-pop EU realm and after reset day it’s a ghosttown. The darkshore warfront has never took longer than a minute, minute 30 to pop after accepting it. First one today gave me “7 min estimated queue” altho granted I was ported halfway into an ongoing one as I assume someone was kicked or ?
The second Warfront took almost 10 minutes to pop.

May not seem like that much but that’s the first time ever I’ve seen those kinda times on this realm, and I play an unhealthy amount tbh lol.

Don’t get me wrong, I love them both (have a lvl20 Hunter on Pyrewood) but to say one isn’t having an effect on the other is just wrong.

3 Likes

Questie has been downloaded more than 4mio times

8 Likes

Yet the number has gone from 1.2 million down to 80 thousand.

And how many forums and how many alts you going to post this one ?

No it is not that’s a total lie I play on silvermoon .

1min for tank from 10 to 120 still and 1 -2 mins for healer 10-120 still you are yet again posting un truths .

had no problem at all doing them max wait 20mins tops

No they are not people are saying on classic forums there servers are ghost realms you do understand people read all forums right ?

If this was true it wouldn’t be showing as “full” in the realm list it would drop to med/high so yet another lie by you .

Can you blame them when they have somebody so untrustworthly as you in the guild .

I think you should be perm banned from the forums for posting on so many alts and doing so many bait threads .

5 Likes

You do undertand when its updated and people download the update it adds to the total right ? Or do you think DBM has been downloaded by 243.7 million classic players ?

9 Likes

If you speculate that, then do a Census on all the Classic realms and on the 20 largest Retail realms, during peak time, and produce numbers. If you’re not prepared to do even that much, keep your speculations to yourself.

4 Likes

not a good measurement gauge.

i dont know if this is true or not. it could favor your case, cause 8.2 needs LOTS of wowhead searching cause of all the random item drops you dont know what they’re for.

i am sitting on an alliance toon right now in silvermoon. there are lots of people here, i would say 25-40% are from other realms. hard to tell as they keep moving, but yeah none are talking. and /2 is just boost spam you couldn’t see anyone talking even if they were.

why would anyone bother with dungeons from 90-111? so much faster with invasions or WoD treasures. but 80-90 is slow, whatever role, however it has been like this for all of BfA (for me).

i only queue for last wing of BoD for mount chance, but yeah, usually 30-60 minute queues. i feel sorry for anyone needing Uldir for whatever reason.

cant use that either. classic is only 3 weeks old so yes it feels full. HOWEVER, this does not mean that BfA servers are not in a bad state. out of 260~ servers, only 60 of them i presume to be healthy as they are listed as high/full. the low/medium servers are in very bad shape, as mine is listed as medium, but is basically dead horde side, and not much better alliance side by all accounts.

possibly not for that case. but its not just classic. ALL the people i met for my season 1 pvp team are offline and have been for months :frowning:

for classic EU/US to have more players than retail EU/US they would need to have 2.5M~ players. tbh, i dont think this is a hard goal because you will have a lot of curious BfA players, loads of private server players, and a lot of retired players. is that more than 2.5M i dont know, but i would not be surprised. however, the question is will it be like that throughout classics 2 year span.

only time will tell and we wont really know until 2021.

where are you getting those numbers? how can a classic server be FULL and have queues 10’s of thousands long? when silvermoon/draenor dont have any queues when you’re saying they are like 600K more players there?

2 Likes

Numbers slightly off going by wowprogress

# Realm Type Lang Score Population* Horde* Alliance*
4 Draenor (up) PvE en 57500.00 45402 43447 1955
16 Silvermoon (up) PvE en 45500.00 44694 3774 40920

Retail’s got upgraded server capacity and sharding to support hundreds of thousands of players. Classic probably has the old hand-me-down servers. Layers are in single digits according to Blizzard. It’s a pretty niche game at this point and layering is enough to make it accessible to all who want to play.

It’s true queues were in the 10’s of thousands the first week on Gehennas and Shaz, now it’s practically queue free except 2-2.5k in the evenings. Some might say that the big exodus has begun.

1 Like

Oh the one about mythic progress. My numbers are from wowpop, a site dedicated solely to tracking server population.

drops mic

I wasn’t being rude to you at all I’m sorry if you thought i was but i think wowpop includes low level alts that is all .

1 Like

A couple of points, LFD/LFR always took long especially on horde, I actually was surprised I was able to get into a raid group today fairly quickly.

As for classic servers it depends on which one you are on. I was there the other night and hardly saw anyone and the people I saw were not interested in talking or grouping up.

As for the guild, was your guild having events? I am not disputing you but yes I will admit classic is busy but I think it is slowing down. There is nothing ongoing with retail WOW right now. No new patch and most people have moved on from 8.2 once they got flying.

8.2.5 will not be enough to bring people back, I would say maybe 8.3.

Someone post the low quality bait meme picture. It sums up some of the people in this thread perfectly.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/290643339831934976/621875846877151262/e9d.jpg

17 Likes

tbh, i dont know how wowpop works, i’ve never heard of it. i use wowrealmpopulations. i have been able to count on my fingers nearly 30K players on ghostlands/dragonblight. (yes i have 30k fingers). where as wowrealmpopulatins has ghostlands/dragonblight at 3.5k active. now yes, my tally counted ANY toon that existed, and some of them have been abandoned since at least the time of cata i believe. that means ghostlands only has 460 active horde toons (that is sad. REALLY sad)

the same site says that Silvermoon has 22.5k active toons. so i am not sure where wowpop is getting 618022. thats like… … … more than Half of ALL accounts suspected to be in the EU atm. on one server? no, i think you have misread that, or wowpop is wrong. wowrealmpopulations site says Silvermoon is 22.5K, and while they might also be wrong, their number sounds far better than wowpops.

why would they use totally different servers for classic and retail? are you saying they purposely created 15 year old rubbish servers JUST to run classic instead of using one they are using as standard? if the numbers are that low, wouldn’t it have been better just opening 4 classic servers (pvp, pve, rp, & rppvp) with bfa capacity. that way its almost certain they would never have had the issues that we have had since launch, and STILL have, and would never have had dead servers once drop off hits. no, i would hedge my bets that the servers for classic are not old rubbish ones. it makes no sense.

2 Likes

I think you need to learn to get your facts from more reputable sources. Using twitch, which follows current trends, but then watches them trends die after the hype is over, is a terrible source. I think reddit is a terrible source as that also follows current trends, which never last.
I think that my server hasn’t changed at all. If anything, it feels like there’s more action than ever in wPvP, and dungeon queue times are shorter.
I think speculating things like this are a complete waste of time.

But that’s just what I think anyway.

1 Like

How I wish forum had a block option so I would not need to read your constant bs anymore

4 Likes