Speculation: WoW Classic has more players than retail in the EU and the US

No, that was a separate change. You can fix it with a couple of edits to the lua - specified in the top comments on the Curseforge page.

2 Likes

@Destruct: Wrong comparison. The quote in Zabalita’s post reads:

’ WoW Classic drives a huge jump in subscribers. World of Warcraft subscription revenue grew an estimated 223% in August compared to July.’’

So, they are only speaking about subscription revenue. And to expand on my previous answer… Because they are only talking about that, the change does not require huge numbers of people… and most certainly does not require over 4 million extra people in US + EU as wordings of some posters’ posts would indicate.

because on some servers it is very bad, and it LOOKS like absolutely no one is playing. this coupled with TERRIBLE sharding technology means that there will always be a backlash from players (like me) on dead servers when other players, or blizz, say “everythings fine, games as healthy as ever, l2p.”

also, if you look over time, you can see SIGNIFICANT drop off. like my server, 143 guilds were doing HM/BRF in WoD, compared to now where only 35 guilds are doing EP. but then the number of horde is tiny. was 43 in HM/BRF, is 9 now none of which are doing mythic, and out of those 9, 6 worked together at the start of the year to keep themselves alive, and to help others stay afloat, of which 4 still do occasionally. not to brag, but a situation that only started because i kicked it off in november. if i had not started that and had all the help i did from other players and guilds, maybe we would be down to 6-7 guilds instead of 9, not that 9 is anything to shout about!

and one final bit to look at, just look how many alliance guilds have done mythic EP WORLDWIDE?

STILL only 52.

and when they are reduced to counting a servers characters on their fingers :frowning:

2 Likes

It’s weird discussing this so short after classic was released. Now the hype is going on, but I also experienced plenty of players leaving in the first month. Many players will also play both retail and classic.

All the last couple of weeks, i have doing /who on the “The Sha’tar” RP realm. Medium population. There has not been a single person on /who on any zone on Eastern Kingdoms, Outland and now Northrend Howling Fjord.

Yesterday Orgrimmar was full of people though, but today it was quiet like a tomb before Arthas came.

Be it Classic or something else, even while it is RP realm… Something is wrong when you see nobody anywhere unless the major capital. I have seen less than 10 passer bys on the all zones combined and im sure there has been more, but couple of days i even harassed some Alliance NPC’s and killed them, but noone came to kick me in the butt… I was low level (30-60).

Anyways. If Classic is taking people, i can easily understand it. The Retail feels like a mess when leveling the old fashioned way. I am sure the new BfA areas have some more activity and it feels like game is intact there, but i have yet to touch any BfA content.

If the messing up continues, the game needs major reset on all zones and expansions to make timeline correct and story feel coherent again or WoW 2.

Heck… Maybe we colonise some totally new planet soon after someone makes a too big of a manabomb that destroys the whole Azeroth… Killing all the current characters and erasing everyones bank accounts of gold… All mounts and pets go too with Azeroth. Yay.

Anyways… Important issue on the following link. Please help :slight_smile:
´https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/text-to-speech-for-warcraft/86978/22´

1 Like

It’s not bank alts. Census couldn’t count them.

I guess they will not be able to ignore their playerbase anymore. I think we will see all sorts of gradual change in retail trying to cater to the Classic playerbase starting with the next expansion. It’s obvious by now that the amount of people that came back for it is huge.

I am sorry, but who exactly was your Math teacher? The janitor?

A 223% increase in SUBSCRIPTION revenue means exactly that 223% more people subscribed for Classic.

Funny how you INTENTIONALLY removed the “subscription” from your reply.
Stop defending a dead game mate. Retail is probably 3 times smaller than Classic, considering that a ton of Retail players changed from BfA to Classic, adding to that 223% NEW players.

Maybe you need a more basic explanation of what 223% increase means. Imagine that WoW had 100 subs. To have a 223% increase, this mean that there HAVE TO BE an additional 223 new subs ON TOP of the old 100 ones.

What exactly, in your opinion, means 223% subscription revenue increase, so it will prove that there aren’t at least, AT LEAST, 2.23 Classic player for every 1 Retail player?

And try with math, even if it’s hard for you.

1 Like

Maybe you shouldn’t be so rude to one of the nicest and most helpful people on the forums just because his views doesn’t match your’s .@ Hellion

Yeah it stopped working or rather it went in a massive loop soon as it hit level one chars .As of an update last week classic census no longer works no idea why .

1 Like

Not exactly. It means they billed 223% more money through the subscription in August. It could, in theory, mean that Classic players have a vastly different subscriber behavior compared to retail players, as in e.g. most retail players subscribe for a month at a time, while most Classic players subscribe for 6 months.

Obviously however, there is nothing to indicate that the different subsets have vastly different subscription behavior, and the onus would be on the person claiming that to prove that they do. Furthermore, it is actually retail that offers incentives to subscribe for a longer time (the mounts tied to 6 month subs), and the funny thing is the 223% increase in subscription revenue comes compared to the month when that promotion was launched. If anything, it’s actually possible that the difference in player numbers is even greater than 2:1 in favor of Classic.

Indeed. The issue is that the /who function, that used to be used by the Census addon, is now protected and cannot be accessed without manual input, so the addon is practically broken now.

1 Like

I think the addon was in classic in 2005 aswell so no idea why they want to break it and yet retail version as far as I know still works :confused:

I imagine it’s because too many queries strain the servers. :slight_smile: Retail populations have been long known, only Census enthusiasts still use the addon there, whereas everyone is curious about Classic populations, so it’s highly probable there were too many players using it.

Either that or there hiding the fact that classic has the bigger player base atm which isn’t a bad thing I love both games .
I’m slowly levelling another lock on classic she is gathering rested XP ready for another assault this weekend.

Haha, yea that’s a possibility too, but I didn’t want to assume malicious intent as my go-to explanation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean why do you think they are getting rid of factions in retail ? It is because playerbase gotton so small they have to merg horde and alliance to sustain the game.

But … why hide it ? I mean - it’s not that Classic is a competitors game. It is their own game.

As someone, who cannot care less which edition of game has more players, I am glad when Warcraft as whole does well, it means only that I as player win.

Amusing.

Exactly only time I get annoyed is when either playerbase try and push there wants onto others for example

Retails players trolling classic forums with “we need mog and flying”
Classic players trolling retail forums with “remove flying and remove lfr/lfg/lfd”

Why can’t people just get on and have fun like a lot of us do in both games .

1 Like

Exactly. I feel its modern social media influenced internet behaviour thing. There are people like you, I, many in this thread, who are glad when Warcraft does well, we enjoy whatever we do in this game and likely do not worry too much what others do in this game and outside of it.

And then we have the classic * social media-typed of people, who insist that somehow to validate their own actions and enjoyment they need others to approve it. So to have fun, they must convince themselves that they are where trends are i.e. for them is important to point out they play more popular version of the game as if popular=better. “Look I play this version of game, it is better, and its more popular, this means I am better player than you!” - typed of approach.

It is pure Instagram/reddit/Facebook typed of posting - you must collect likes and approval to feel worthy and good.

For me it is same sub, same developer, same world, just two different timelines. For me classic is like playing “yet another alt in another realm”. More warcraft gets attention - be it films, games, books etc - more I as fan/gamer benefit form it. It is as simple.

* here i mean the word classic not the game version.

2 Likes

Retail is dying and the only ones left are in denial. Blizzard refuses to listen.

2 Likes

who cares what people play more. retail is doing 100times the amount of money thanks to lfr heroes who like to buy shopmounts and wow tokens for their +10 weekly

@Hellion: To begin with, I would highly appreciate it, if you could skip the pointless ad hominem, especially since your post has several severe mistakes.

First of all, because we are talking about monthly figures now, people who pay less often than every month do not count for all months, even if they do not take breaks at all.

Secondly, the type of subscription impacts how much money it brings in the months it is paid for.

Third, due to the two things above, it is possible to have an increased player count and get (a lot) less money in a given month OR vice versa.

Fourth thing… Revenue is NOT divided between Retail and Classic. It is not possible to see how large portion of the revenue came from players who exclusive play Classic.

You asked for an example… I will make a very, very simple one:

In January, player A pays 64,95 for six months.
In February, there are no new players and no extra revenue is generated. Revenue drops to zero.
In March, player B pays 12,99 for a month. Revenue increases from zero to 12,99.
In April, player B pays 12,99 again. Players C and D each buy three months at 35,97 each.

April’s subscription revenue totals 84,93. Player count has gone up 100% from March (from 2 to 4), but subscription revenue has increased by almost 500%! :slight_smile:

223% increase (estimated) subscription revenue means approximately 223% more money… But it does NOT in any shape or form tell us that the player count went up 223%. In fact, given the fact that different players use different payment options, I can guarantee the player count change was not 223%. :smiley:

On a purely speculative note: Because those who intend to stick with Classic for long haul probably were more likely to buy longer than one month subscriptions, reaching a 223% revenue increase does not require millions of people. Each person who paid for six months in August paid the equalent of 5 people buying a single month.

@Daestra, Redoctober: On the topic of CensusPlus. This is also highly speculative, but rumours suggest that CensusPlus was not the target, but rather collateral damage as Blizzard wanted to prevent the creation of LFG addons for Classic. Bringoutyourdead (who has been taking care of CP for many years) has been looking into things and his research suggests that Blizzard made alterations to “Hardware Events”, which are NOT accessible for .lua users. In other words, the worst case scenario is that both CP and CPC are gone, forever.

I have not yet checked, whether I can manually insert data into the relevant .lua file uploads and force very, very limited updates (basically, my own characters) into WCR databases.

EDIT: Changed “over” to “almost” to correct an error in one phrase.

4 Likes