[Spoilers] Anduin ❤ Wrathion - Let's get physical!

So… there it is, the first 8.3 cinematic.

It was quite refreshing to see an angry and frustrated Anduin lashing out! Could the Wonderboy have flaws? But alas…

Erm… and could somebody tell me how Wrathion is supposed to be responsible for Varian’s death? I didn’t get that.

3 Likes

Whoops, crossed threads there.

Well, this one seems to be more about the cinematic itself.

Anyway, what I said in the other one: I think it’s fairly obvious that Anduin blames Wrathion for creating the situation that snowballed into Guldan managing to arrive to Azeroth (by allowing Garrosh to escape, him forming the Iron Horde, creating the portal to Azeroth, etc.).

Now, I’ll repeat that given the state of things, I do feel like Blizzard has left most of Wrathions actual involvement quite lacking. And that Anduins reaction requires quite a LOT of meta knowledge not even us players are completely sure about.

Edit: A little side note: Does the first humanly flawed reaction Anduin has REALLY need to be washed with Nzoths subtle interference? Holy f** :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Ahh… I wouldn’t call that obvious (obviously, since I didn’t see it), but I guess it… might be the only thing we have. Well, he is supposed to be irrational in that moment, so… shrug

Is it? I mean, didn’t he knock out Anduin when he freed Garrosh, making his involvement in his escape kind of obvious?.. To readers of the books, at least… Or readers of the summaries, like me, in this case (I just couldn’t make it through Warcrimes…).

Wrathion also introduced him to Kairoz so that they could escape to AU Draenor together and get as many Orc armies as possible to fight the demons. Which backfired and turned into a self fulfilling prophecy. Trigering an even faster return of the burning legion. Leading to AU Gul’dan killing Varian.

Pretty much this. Ye Wrathion helped Garrosh but from that time many things happened and I don’t think he had any direct involvement in this. The amount of stuff that that could’ve go differently was too big, and it just makes this thing artificial.

Another waste of cinematic on two mediocre characters imo.

Anduin requested that Garrosh’s legs be unshackled so that Garrosh could face the verdict standing like a warrior so the mental gymnastics he’s doing to blame Wrathion are partly the result of his own guilt. Whether that actually made a difference or not I don’t know but ostensibly he made it easier for Garrosh to make his getaway.

EDIT: Is this seriously the cutscene that the Horde get too? Baine you are an absolute loser and I hope you die soon.

4 Likes

Don’t be silly. It was N’zoth that made him punch Wrathion. Anduin would never.

4 Likes

We are to assume that he played a significant role in the whole thing, but were left hanging regarding how much of it was actually part of his plan, how deeply was he involved, and most importantly, what were his reasons to do so.

Because the only thing that hinted to any of the above, was removed with the Alpha of the previous expansion, and his character sat out the “Biggest Demonic Invasion in history” doing the absolute nothing (which supposedly, was the sole thing he was working against).

The line drawn by Anduin in this cinematic is absurd. He blames Wrathion for causing Varians death, even if it was Kairoz the one that took a more active role to facilitate his escape to the AU.
He blames him for Gul’dan, even if his escape goes against what theoretically Wrathion wanted (the unification of the AU orc clans against Fel under Grommash).

Anduin somehow came to know much of the above, even if given what we have so far, said information isn’t exactly widespread knowledge.

PS: Also, he somehow holds Wrathion more accountable than, for example Khadgar who literally freed Gul’dan, or Shaw that had his own organisation infiltrated and used as a bait to draw his father to the Broken Shore.

1 Like

We are not to assume that Anduin’s accusations are reasonable, though, considering the rest of the cinematic, so do we really have to think through the depth of his involvement? That there is any connection is enough to explain what’s happening, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Personally, I think that even if we assume he is to be taken as acting unreasonable, the conclusion he reached in his reaction hinges on a rather forced premise.

At least given the lack of information he supposedly has regarding those events (if we assume he has the sort of Meta knowledge we have, then the thing makes more sense…but drifts dangerously towards a more severe issue.)

He knows that Wrathion helped in freeing Garrosh. He is causally partially responsible for bringing the Legion to Azeroth. That’s not meta knowledge.

1 Like

I ship them but only because it’s funny :rofl:

I would react the same as Anduin. No one can approach me like that.

We all hope that my friend. 8.2.5 was a wreckage and Baine is to blame for all of it.

Fully agreed on that. You know what is my impression why this fight was done? Because Golden was upset with Wranduin shippers and thrown the most farfetched reason to make them fight and supposedly end this ship lol.

I really dislike Wrathion to me he can be punched and kicked all day long, but if we have to take story seriously it needs to make sense and be coherent. And it doesn’t make one, from in-Universe and meta point of view it’s not really a reason. Too farfetched.

Also last giggle from me - why the ook dragons shapeshiht to humanoids when they’re so much more vulnerable? They’re much easier prey there as Kairoz shown who was choked to death by Garrosh.

Anduin is also responsible for Garrosh escape. And Wrathion wanted to stop Legion not enforce it. Lastly, it was Khadgar who ordered to free him. It would be a non issue if Gul’Dan was stabbed by PC when imprisoned under portal right at the start of WoD. It is meta af.

So what? No one says that Anduin is acting rationally here. Indeed, the implication is that his emotions are being severely manipulated. The point is, that there is some rationale to make Wrathion the bad guy, flimsy as it is.

1 Like

Well I don’t buy it at all. Freeing fugitive means nothing, it was Kairoz that opened portal, and too many other people were involved to make any basis for this claim.

If they wanted to intentionally make Anduin act irrationally they had entire BfA to use. He was acting irrationally nost of the time, and could use other NPC to trigger conflict. This feels super artificial and not earned at all. Feels like it was thrown for whatever reason.

…it’s supposed to be something new in 8.3. Because… you know, N’zoth.

1 Like

I… like how Anduin is angry at Wrathion. His punch is a manifestation of the Old God corruption, but his anger is well-placed. Even if Wrathion did not kill Varian, he did set Garrosh free.

I personally do not agree with Anduin when he blamed Wrathion for Varian death. It seems too far-fetched. Then again, he did pin Arthas and Daelin on the Alliance.

So I am conflicted. On the one hand, Angry Anduin is hot. On the other, I think his mental gymnastics belong in the WoW forum, not in the WoW story.