[Spoilers] Shadowlands Alpha

Monkey paw curls a finger

Binding the Covenant abilities to a specific Covenant is a bad design move that should be changed.

They should do it that when you level through all 4 zones you get to experience each Covenant ability and later at max level you choose which ability you want from the Covenant without it being restricted to the Covenant you going to ally with later.

So the main ability wont be restricted to the Covenant and they can go a bit mayhem on those abilities but keep the soulbindings restricted to each Covenant and keep them more in line with eachother instead.

I mean make so you go to a place in Oribos and you align yourself to a power statue or something similiar to the Zandalari Loa buff or even you speak with a NPC from the specific Covenant to gain their ability but not in the actual Covenant.

I love Revendreth and most likely plan to make it the Covenant I choose and I would hate to have to pick another Covenant only to feel like I am not losing out on the PVE/PVP Scene massively.

1 Like

I literally said this during Blizzcon. Shadowlands looks great but so far the only thing that MAY curb it is the covenant system. And it looks like that’s exactly what’s going to happen- Unless, they make it into essence style as Angelus suggested (e.g. You can change the covenants like you can change essences in rested zones), or they just delete most of the abilities and give all the covenants the same class abilities.

1 Like

https://pics.me.me/thumb_gaming-1-hour-ago-gamers-are-upset-yep-58613700.png

What if you just don’t care about optimal choices according to a graph and instead pick the ones that are optimal to your heart?

3 Likes

Someone took it away from me, and an AoE purge couldn’t fill the hole Ion left behind.

2 Likes

Unironically an impossible proposition.

If this approach worked we’d seen that in WoD with Garrisons, in Legion with legendaries and sockets for weapons, or indeed in BFA with azerite armor.

Truth is, most people want to be optimized for the game- Sure, you can have the choice to choose wrong, but that’s not really a choice anybody sensible wants to make- As the history proves us.

That’s why I inherently really dislike systems like these. Sorry, it’s been tested and tried a hundred times over, and the answer is always the same.

1 Like

Okay well I didn’t optimise any of those according to graphs and I quite like mutually exclusive RPG choices so…

1 Like

And good for you then, but the fact is that most people do seem to care about their performance over anything else , as the feedback has shown- And I don’t blame them. Building and optimizing your character’s a huge part of MMO’s.

I don’t much care for the aesthetic elements of the covenants so I personally will just pick whatever’s the “best” for my class.

But most people care for both, so they are put into this awkward ground where they have to pit two choices (Aesthetics vs gameplay) against one another. And history’s shown us that the latter almost always wins- Which, consequently, only makes people unhappy that they are “forced” into a choice.

4 Likes

I’m quite happy with Assassination rogue currently that im maining and im curious to see how it goes in Shadowlands.

With warlocks however, from a thematic viewpoint, demonlogy has always appealed to me, but ever since Legion(& in BfA as well) they made the spec feel incredibly…clunky to play. It’s very boring, slow & usually performs quite badly compared to alot of other specs, especially when BfA put alot of emphasis on mobility being important.

Im very much a “both” person. When I find something, a spell or option etc that I find incredibly cool and something I feel attached too, I feel really bummed out if it’s like…so bad of a pick that its non-viable compared to another one.

1 Like

To be honest when it comes to class identity I feel like Monk in Mists of Pandaria was a very good level on how spellbooks should be handled.

I feel like Monk had the perfect mixture of combo to use basic abilities, they had decent amount of defensive and offensive CD’s and just minor things that was also bit ‘‘fun’’ too.

In the end I feel like Blizzard should try to reach for that balance that Monks had back in Mists of Pandaria for all classes.

1 Like

Who’s most people? The vocal forum minority (blizz’s words)? The majority of people don’t even raid Normal mode, nevermind anything where optimisation might actually matter?

And under your direction I’m being made unhappy by it not being a choice. Shouldn’t Covenants matter? They said there’s a way to change (presumably a resource sink) if you’re unhappy but them being part of your expansion’s character seems important. Saying “actually, it doesn’t matter, just trade out whenever you want lol!” is really lame and babying.

None of them will be non-viable.

2 Likes

I hope not! And I meant more to explain how I feel about stuff in rpgs overall, not specifically these covenants.

This is also why I think & hope we dont get any new classes for WoW. THey’re already struggling with not just balancing like 35 diffrent specs & also making them feel somewhat unique and have an identity to their own(or the 12 classes to have)

Piling more things on that wont go well I believe, so I hope DH was the last we got.

I am choosing covenant based on their transmogs.

As i said in another thread; Expansions are fleeting, transmog is forever.

12 Likes

Unless it’s holiday stuff :smiley:

we’re getting there! Maybe in 10 years time they’d have made it so all holiday items can be mogged all year around.

1 Like

WoW in 2030, imagine it…

Yeah, we gotta be patient. The technology just isn’t there yet.

Nah, it’ll be; “oh no! sub numbers are dropping! Quick, which seasonal event is it? Oh X? Time to make ONE of the items be able to be mogged all year around. That’ll get the subs back”

1 Like