Stuck on "retrieving character list"

Got disconnected from the game yesterday, coudln’t log back in due to “Character with that name already exists” prompt.
Decided to let it solve itself.

When tried to log in today the game gets stuck on “retrieving character list”.

Deleted cache, wtf, scanned and repaired wow, changed IP addresses - the result is always the same. Any ideas how to fix it?

1 Like

I have this exact issue. Yesterday I had to force quit game, and when trying to login again I kept getting disconnected. Today it’s just looping stuck retrieving character list. I’ve messaged blizz with information and tried all the troubleshooting steps and they just replied ask the community.

same problem here yesterday disconnects and today stuck on retrieving character list

same problem

Same problem. Got an ask the community response from customer support which I sassed back to. “Ask the community” on a server side issue is f-ing ridiculous as a response. I can’t…

Same issue for me too.

Hi guys,

Since im here i obviously have the same issue.

Here is what ive tried sofar with no luck to save you some time.
Guildies have noticed that i have two characters logged in at the same time which i assume is the crux of the issue.

Character Unstuck - Retail Characters are not visible as a Character unstuck option
Logging in to a Different region - Stuck on Retrieving Character List
Logging in on Classic / Cata / Beta - I can login but it does not fix retail.
Deleting WoW Data files AKA realmlist and repairing WoW - Had no effect.
Deleting WTF and recreating
Deleting all Add-ons
Resetting WoW Settings from Bnet launcher
Network Reset
Logging in from a different machine
PC Restart

It really does just appear to be Blizz Server side. I can’t even make a ticket about this properly because the AI Automatically redirects me to character stuck feature and they have made it a hell to navigate.

1 Like

Hello there,

Thanks for the reports, and especially for the detailed information about troubleshooting steps you’ve tried already!

We’re looking into this now, so please keep the reports coming and let us know if anything changes.

2 Likes

It started when I was on druid in Emerald Dream, I did an event then I couldn’t interact with anything, so I force closed game, tried logging back in, character already exists. So I logged my main which worked fine, then tried logging druid again same error, then couldn’t log into anything after that. I just keep getting disconected from the server error. I can’t even change realm.

I’ve tried;

• Repairing all files through battle.net client
  • Deleteing cache, interface, WTF folder
  • Logging on other computer.

I still can’t log into any of my characters.

The disconnect error is: 51900319

EDIT: Today I’ve logged in and get retrieving character list and it just sticks there. Blizzard ticket said ask the community. Still can’t access anything.

2 Likes

Personally this happened to me after doing Stonevault M0 with a mate.
We were just hanging out in Dornogal afterwards. Then, only I, got Thanos snapped out of existence.
Seems like this happened alot to people around 14-15 hours ago.
I also got booted from the game, then got the error wow51900319.
Then i decided to run a repair of the game only to get upgraded to the “Receiving Character List” screen of infinity. I have done litterally everything possible to fix it, only to conclude the issue cant possibly be on my end. :slight_smile:

Pretty much same as the post before me.

Finished a delve, got stuck while exiting the delve.
Couldn’t HS, Portal out, even log out.

Killed the game, upon restart couldn’t log in “character with this name already exists” or smth like that.

Today can’t retrieve character list.

Changed IP adresses, deleted wtf folder, tried logging in from another PC, repaired the files - result is the same.

1 Like

Exactly the same issue.

Was forced to force quit the game. Got “Character with the same name exists” at first, tried login via another toon, got the reliable 51900319. Tried to unstuck too. At first I got several “oops something went wrong” but as of now the unstuck service shows a list of characters which does not mirror my account … so I stopped trying.

Since this morning I am stuck at retrieving character list.

Tried it all:

reboot PC
reboot router (connected via ethernet)
release, renew ipconfig and flush dns
delete login data cache via battle.net
remove wtf and cache folder
unstuck service
update windows
run the scan and repair functionality
capped and uncapped FPS
changed network setting to use and not use IPv6 / network optimization

Quite honestly, the fact that the unstuck service can not even load my account properly makes me strongly assume it’s on Blizzard’s side anyway.

Quote from the other thread that was closed in favor of this one.

I want to point out once more that the unstuck service is unable to fetch any retail character. It does not find any character on any retail server. The only available characters for me to unstuck are classic characters.

Same for me, just my classic characters.

Hi Tyrskorn, thanks for the reassurance. Fingers crossed its an easy fix and i can make raidnight :raised_hands:

Some additional info on how i even ended up in this situation.

Last night the Delve bug happened where i was stuck between 2 fog walls trying to exit the delve. I didn’t feel like waiting inside until the issue gets fixed again so i logged over to a different character played for a bit then called it a night.

When i tried to login today im stuck on the Retrieving Character list and the 2 characters that get displayed to my guildies as online are the last two i played with.

Exact same issue as me, none of my retail characters are available.

Classic WoW/Cata characters do work though.

This also happened to me.

I tried to Hearthstone, but it didn’t teleport me, so decided to fly to the zone i wanted to get to.
Hit the barrier wall, then just a load of lag.

Exit the game. Tried to log back in, but when i tried, it was saying that A character with this name already exists.

Tried logging into other characters but the loading bar would only reach about 75% before kicking me out back to the main menu.

I tried everything from, deleting all the appropriate files, the stuck button the blizzard has. deleted all my addon’s and the addon provider.

Tried logging in again this morning, now im stuck on the Retrieving Character list with a 75% progression bar at the top of the screen.

Currently re-installing the game, but since i can log in when the installation is past say 20%, its still giving me the retrieving character screen still.

1 Like

Same issue here. Logged out on one of my characters and wanted to log back on on my main. Got Disconnected while still in loading screen and couldn’t log in on any other characters. Today iam stuck at “Retrieving charakter list”. Tried all the troubleshooting for Connection Problems.

Same issue here, disconnected yesterday and now Im stuck on retrieving character list.
Stuck Character service just showing my classic toons.

Update : Still facing the same issue however my characters do appear to be logged out in guild.

I let Retrieving character list go for a while and i got a disconnected message once that brought me to select a realm list but unfortunately nothing else has changed.

If i wait for it long enough a loading bar appears but waiting for half an hour it goes nowhere

Any ETA? I am supposed to be raiding in a couple of hours. It’s a bit frustrating as this is gearing up week ahead of mythic raiding/M+.