I like this idea! and it’s going to be a very long and detailed post…
But not sure about complexity, because every complex system bring rules, regulations and limitations with it, and that is not what WPvP needs, imo.
No need for separate sharding, etc - everybody in the same world without rules, everything fair and not fair the same way for everybody.
Rating should increase from any kill of your lvl opponent or higher, not lower.
Not sure about rating decrease.
I understand why - player needs and incentive to push further and have something to loose plays in it just right. But it should be only in 1v1 situations, otherwise, when you get killed by 2+ players and one of them have similar to your rating or higher and you loose points because of that - it prevents system from working.
Not because something is not fair or other bs like that, but because it will promote alt+f4, logging off, abusing toys and phasing, queues… to prevent rating loss in corpse camp or any other camp situation. Or even before something has started at all.
We have already a lot of it, and I don’t think it would do any good if there is more of it, because realistically - there is no way to battle this behavior.
To try and still battle this, system would need something like timers to make players not loose rating on repeated kills, or diminishing returns on loses/gains from same player, or … etc, and we are coming to rules / regulations / limitations zone.
Solo/Group/Raid - totally agree, biggest gain should be from solo, less with group, and very little in raid. But we also have situation like now - instead of a raid players get in 5-man groups and stay together to cheat the system.
Maybe it would be better if not only a type of group was in effect, but also overall number of players of your and opposite faction in player’s vicinity.
With all that, I think rating system itself should be different from Arena/BG rating system, mostly because Arena/BG system is more spots-like, and I don’t think it’ll work in chaotic War Mode. Maybe something like this:
- When player kill another player they can get some-kind of temporary points/ears/heads.
- To get rating, player needs to cash out those points/ears/heads at NPC in Boralus/Dazar’alor.
- To prevent situation like “go cash out after each kill”, system should award more rating based on amount of points/ears/heads turned, and almost no rating when it’s only 1-2.
- When killed by another player, there is a chance to drop 1-5 of those points/ears/heads that player is carrying, that are awarded to the player who won, or randomly distributed in their group. (Or the more you have the more could drop).
- Higher rating increases a chance of them dropping. If player killed by someone of a higher rating - chance is smaller the higher difference is. If by similar of lower rated player - chance increases. As incentive to search for higher opponents.
- Just as with solo/group/raid - the smaller the group the higher chances of them dropping, and it’s always awarded randomly to players in a group. Mostly to prevent raid farms.
- On reset day, if players didn’t cash out any points/ears/heads or if an amount of lost (dropped) is more than turned, then player loose rating.
- If at least one turned and it’s more than lost, players rating doesn’t change, and they keep all rating they got from a previous week.
- and then - rating brackets, titles, seasonal rewards, etc.
For it to really work, and I think it’s the same for all PvP gearing systems to work, it needs (again…):
- PvP currency
- PvP vendors that sell all items, not just Azerite and NOT rng-boxes.
- Item ilvl price depends on Players rating. Higher rated bracket player needs less to buy same ilvl item than lower bracket or non-rated player.
- Maybe even add option to cash out points/ears/heads as this currency and not a rating, so high rated or Arena/RBG players had another incentive to participate in WM.
Only problem I see with this - Honor and Conquest are suppose to be that system…
Yeah, I know, all that above could look like something very complex, but it’s just looks - because I’ve tried to describe with a lot of details. System itself is very simple:
Award temporary points on kills, that player need to cash out to get rating, but also has a risk of loosing them and get nothing or a rating loss in the end of the week.
Thematically it could fit War Mode and WPvP, and also players wouldn’t be able to loose everything in one session of corpse camping, since they wouldn’t be able to drop more than they have and then only their own point/ear/head (because it’s still WoW, too harsh is not an option).
On the other hand - the more of these point player has - not only it can give a good + to rating, but also it makes this player a very juicy target for other players to hunt. Maybe also add increased chance of dropping to a Bounty.
So this idea - Rating in WPvP, + PvP gearing system, + WPvP objectives/towers/control points to get something PvP related (point, rating, currency) and for other player to take that away for themselves, + PvP quests/events, + points and circumstances of potential conflicts, and all of that in huge open world with chaotic and unscripted sandbox environment = so good
I like it, haha, rated WPvP, haha, nice!
Arena/BG are like - it’s a sport mate, you have to come prepared.
WPvP is like - battlefield is everywhere mate, you have to use everything.