Suggestion: Traitor System

Reduce non WPvPers in WM with a traitor system that creates an extra layer of risk v reward.

Edit: After feedback, I’ve simplified my original half joking player reporting/judge suggestion, to be a more realistic suggestion based on the bounty system.

Traitor System

1. Every time WM is turned off, the player has a random chance to receive a non removable ‘Traitor’ debuff that lasts for X hour(s) while character is online, wherever they are. The crime? Desertion during wartime = treason = guilty!
  2. Debuff is same as bounty, except both factions can kill any player with Traitor debuff at any location.
  3. Traitor loot should be greater than bounty loot, for that extra motivation.

Rather than have forced solutions, like a WM toggle cooldown or PvE bonus/ rewards removed, the traitor system would naturally reduce non WPvPers in war mode.

I really hope I don’t break your heart when I write this, but:

No! :sweat:

It doesn’t feel like suggestions that would bring people to WM - more something to scare people away.

Last week, me and a friend was dancing naked at Krasus Landing - on opposing factions… A obvious reason to report us as fraternising with the enemy, but you kill the fun for us…

Unless both of us would be placed in Stormwind, then we could continue to dance naked in front of each others :thinking:

2 Likes

Well, my suggestion includes an AI prosecutor, maybe there could also be an AI defence lawyer to get you off the hook :slight_smile:

Edit

I’ve updated the description of what constitutes a treasonous act in my op to make it clearer - this is about behaviour that negatively affects another player’s WPvP experience.

After reviewing your case - consensually dancing naked with an opposing faction member, while borderline treason, doesn’t negatively impact other players WPvP, and therefore would be considered a false report. Case dismissed.

The traitor system’s intent is to deter behaviour that negatively impacts WPvP. Those players that engage in behavior such as abandoning allies would rightly want to avoid WM, or change behaviour. Either result benefits WM.

Because a false report of treason is in itself treason, players will be careful to only report clear treasonous acts.

Oooh goodies, it weight heavy on both of us… Or it would have been if we were placed in the stocks :yum:

I just wonder when it will become a cowardly act worth of a report and a when it is a stratetic retreat not worth mentioning :upside_down_face:

((sorry if I’m annoying now :smile:))

1 Like

That’s where the AI prosecutor comes in, it can analyze the data and decide if treason occured. Just need to program it for fairness and understanding of strat. Only if the AI considers it a worthy report, does it go to a Judge, which could be 1% of the time potentially.

The Judge will have a clearly presented text and visual of the incident. Many times I’ve seen an enemy player arrive at a losing fight in progress, then run away in fear, when their intervention could have won the fight. That is clear cut treason, rather than any strat. The AI would have to know the difference between that, and tactical retreat.

1 Like

:smile:

I can imagine the next complains that will flood the forums…

With the amount of people that wants 1V1 in pvp, now they are forced to accept help - Poor Ai, it will breake during the test and the GM’s will go home crying after dealing with angry players :joy:

1 Like

Don’t be so hasty.

I posit to you, oh Jury, that my client, the Right Honourable Skinsaw Gnome-smasher, was indeed smashing gnomes by the droves until, with horror, he noticed the accused tangoing the bodacious ta-tas of a sultry night elf. And it was at that precise moment he dropped his guard and the WSG flag…

2 Likes

:fearful:

I did say “oh, don’t mind us - just continue doing your thing”

I never forced them to watch :sob:

2 Likes

I’m sure I could hear someone in the background chanting “Got milk?” :smiley:

2 Likes

This is an interesting concept. I especially love the player-jury dynamic.
They used to have that in League of Legends but stopped it because it had a reward system that was flawed.

Making it totally voluntary without any incentive aside from justice would make it very appealing to my Paladin.

Maybe each case can have more than one judge before being finalised to make it fairer.

Could be a lot of fun!

2 Likes

Hmm, yes maybe a panel of judges, with a vote to kick style execution of JUSTICE!

Overruled.

The AI prosecutor won’t be able handle nuances, it’s gonna have to look at raw data and identify key points. For example - alleged traitor, mounted, approached an ally losing a fight to within combat range, their intervention could have changed result of fight, but they remained mounted, had combat in field of view for X seconds, turned around and ran off, started doing wq.

If the AI can’t identify clear cowardice like that, case will be thrown out. If it goes to court, the Judge(s) will be presented with the key points + animated diagrams.

RP 1v1 guys can do duels if that’s what they want. In WPvP, 1v1 is accepted that interference can happen. Case closed. Dismissed!

1 Like

Ahahaha… I can tell this is already going to be a total clusterf*** :smiley:

2 Likes

As a team killing coward, im not a big fan.
My skin is way too precious.
Id make an excellent judge, though

2 Likes

Hmm… if guilty verdict, the Judge could be given option of sentencing corporal punishment or an unlimited ‘fine’, determined by and auto payable to the Judge.

To make the sentencing decision easier, the Judge should be able to access the traitor’s assets, total gold and items in bank/bags. Maybe even the assets of the traitors guild bank, which could deter guilds from allowing traitors in their ranks.

I’m guessing most Judges would issue the ‘fine’, and that way you can avoid the stocks!

Ye, being a Judge would be awesome!

Edit

I updated op to include 50 lashes in the brief cinematic after verdict, stocks alone is not enough punishment. Treason should actually be a death sentence, but for this system, the end result of the traitor title (temporary) is important. They gotta walk around with that.

Interesting.
Though it could be difficult to judge (report) for treason. For example the guy you think is running away is in fact luring the enemy into an ambush. You see him running and you make a wrong judgement and report for treason.
Sometimes it might also be preferable to fall back to a better position taking the terrain into account; a hill-top for example.

3 Likes

Don’t worry, the AI will decide if the report has merit. It can analyze the data to see what the accused did next… picked some herbs? Guilty! I mean, the player Judge(s) decides if guilty.

Most of this is bs for me but i would like to kill my own faction players and get jail time… When i kill like 10 players of my own faction i get a debuff that says if you die to a player you will go to 5 player judges who will vote if their majority vote is guilty you get jail time depending on how many poor souls you killed if you get innocent you are free to go.

1 Like

:fearful:

Maybe I should play more in stealth

2 Likes

Great suggestion, and a very clear cut crime detection system. Maybe have an additional toggle to enable same faction kills, or make it part of a WM hard mode.

I would have to weigh up the risk versus reward of killing those pesky Alliance AOO questlings! Jail time could be worth it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recommend giving archeage pirate and crime system a look.

1 Like