[Suggestion] Use Layering from Classic to improve Sharding

Servers don’t really matter for sharding, but they are still there, with all characters, guilds, data, etc. From how AOO quest and War Mode bonus % are calculated we can assume that that data on servers also shows who uses War Mode and for how long. This can be used to determine how many players are actually into WPvP or at least don’t mind it.

From recent interview with Ion Hazzikostas & Calie Schie

Unlike sharding where we run multiple copies of an individual zone in modern BFA, what we’re doing in Classic is actually running multiple copies of the entire world. So let’s say you playing on a server there might be three entire copies of Azeroth, full versions of Azeroth, where you can walk around, take a zeppelin, and you won’t see people appearing and disappearing around you

So there is data about all players in War Mode across all servers, and there is a technology to create full copies of entire world.

Current sharding creates copies of zones, and makes initial balancing = our current shards. What if instead of making shards from zones and putting players there in RNG, system was changed to use Layering technology instead? But not layers from one server - similar to current sharding - layers from all servers, like:

• Use data about players in War Mode to see what servers can be connected in clusters, similar to how current RP servers are connected.
  • Create layers - full copies of the world - and put players from those connected clusters on those layers. Each cluster has it’s own layer.
  • Servers clusters could be dynamic - each reset system would re-check balance for each cluster and make adjustments if needed from what’s avaliable to have as close to 50/50 as possible.
  • War Mode ON and OFF should have their own separate layers, with War Mode ON has a top priority for Faction balancing, since that is where it really matters.

So basically, instead of current small shards - a system that would connect servers together to create full worlds with as close to 50/50 balance as possible, and re-check it every reset.

Although I really don’t like limitations, but this idea probably won’t work without at least some LFG limitations.

In War Mode OFF - it doesn’t need any limitations, so players can travel from layers/shards to other layers/shards as much as they like. Plus it’s kinda important not to have limitation here for Raids/PvE PUGs, etc.

In War Mode ON - regular LFG (not automated one for Elite/World bosses WQs) should be limited to players from current layer only. This will keep faceless zergs at a minimum level. But, players are still should be able to go to another layers, by joining someone from their friend list, or Community they are in. It’s only to limit LFG tool itself.

And to keep at least some consistency on Layers, for social aspect:

• Servers must be connected for both factions on the same server. So if Horde from a server is on this layer, Alliance must be too. Server cannot be separated between different layers.
  • There must be consistent pairs of servers, probably big ones, that stay connected, while smaller ones are mostly used to balance faction ratio.

War Mode ON bonus - still needed, for the same reasons it’s here now, plus LFG limitations. But I don’t think there would be a need for things like AOO anymore.

There is still can be more Horde than Alliance in War Mode, or more Alliance on RP realms, or whatever else, the point is - faction balance can still be skewed towards one faction, but with Layering - it’ll be skewed for a layer, so WM bonus can also be per layer. And to avoid abusing, if player goes for another layer with different bonus - bonus can only go lower than player’s original layer, not higher.

In addition, lags and servers performance could improve, since sharding won’t be happening every time, but just once per day.

Well, this wall of text makes a good outline of an idea.
What do you think - will something like that be better than current sharding?

1 Like

They justt need to remove sharding and it’s fix, it’s pretty simple

1 Like

Not gonna happen tho. Sharding is the solution to faction imbalanced pvp realms. Improved sharding would be better. Maybe blizz can do something like Coolgroove suggests, or his guild sharding idea. In the mean time, we can make the best of the current situation :+1:

1 Like

And it’s needed a lot. As I understand, in 8.2 we won’t only have towers/control points, but also there will be points for killing players… etc, and Mechagon secrets camps & hunts. So, if LFG hotdrops, and phasing away at any sight of danger, with other problems of sharding, are not fixed - the whole experience could be scuffed.

I hope at least something will be done to:

… and you won’t see people appearing and disappearing around you

and better matchmaking with players from your guild/friend list/etc.

1 Like

They could potentially improve sharding in BfA, if they can awesome. However, LfG would still be there, and that is a big issue for those that want a server based WPvP experience. I doubt if LfG is going to be taken out of modern WoW or restricted.

However… in the past I’ve thought about, could we have two versions of War Mode. One for those that like it as is, and one for those that don’t.

Well, that’s what classic is going to introduce. Two versions of WPvP. I was dubious about classic in the past… but am starting to warm up to the idea of WPvP in classic.

Now I am thinking, if I want the no sharding/no LfG experience, I can simply play a classic character. If I want the modern WoW WPvP experience, play a BfA char. Best of both worlds… great to have choice! Shame classic will have the old graphics, but gameplay is what matters.

Random thought…
I guess the forum for classic WPvP will be this one, since this forum is called “War Mode and World PvP”.

1 Like

LFG definitely won’t be taken out, at least not until design of many other parts of the game was changed. Current game has mostly rush-rush-rush in it’s design, so they can’t just remove LFG, it’s essential part of everything working.

Restricting, not much, just a bit and only in War Mode ON - that could happen, but not with current sharding tho. With something like layering - direct LFG, where you have to manually go and search/create - that could be limited to players from the same layer for those with War Mode ON. While elite WQ and other automated LFG is still there. Plus players can go from a layer to layer by joining others from Communities / Friends list.

So if players want to go for faster PvE of some WQ - they can, if they want to play with friends from other servers - they can, but if they want to create a raid, or party for things like Call to Arms for example - easy access is limited to current layer only - a lot less faceless zergs, a lot more value for Communities / Guilds / Friends for bigger WPvP battles.

I see the pros of this, but I think it could segregate WPvP into two parts and none of them will be good in the end, or just wouldn’t have enough players.

War Mode ON/OFF is simple and perfect part of current system, now Blizzard just has to improve technical part, sharding / layering / whatever, so it’s not an RNG and has at least some social consistency / players around, and without that “appearing / disappearing players”.

One big difference between “Layering + server-matchmaking” vs “Sharding + prio-matchmaking” - Layers would give more consistent social structure, just as old servers were, at least for bigger realms, plus matchmaking based on servers and not individual players for faction balance. While “Sharding + prio-matchmaking” idea is more about players control of who there are around them. But both, or anything similar, could be an improvement over what we have now, imo.

The original PvP, the first PvP, made simply by players wanting to fight each other in an open world video game, without rules, not scripted - so goooooood!

Yes!

But it doesn’t mean Blizzard shouldn’t improve current sharding/matchmaking/system. Even with selfish reasons - I’m sure I won’t be playing both, simply because I don’t want to spent this much time, so if I end up with retail for any reason, I want it to be better than it is now, hehe

They’ll probably make separate sections on forums for everything Classic, like servers, PvP, PvE, etc, or even it’s own forums.

1 Like

As long as WM retains its chaos factor, I’m on board for improvements :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.