SV Hunter: Asmongold Tier list and opinion

Hi Fellow SVs, just sharing with you Asmongold’s opinion here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QEzfMXc3hw starts at 34:37

What’s your input on this? if you would like to share your opinion.

2 Likes

He didn’t say much besides it being ok. :laughing: SV is responded to in two ways. People that play it and love it and people that haven’t bothered playing it but prefer to cry bring back ranged sv.

Personally i love the spec and it’s my favorite in the game atm. Just hope one day we can actually dish out enough damage to climb up from the bottom of the list.

11 Likes

Who is that and why should anyone care?

1 Like

Only the most popular wow youtuber/streamer

They shouldn’t.

I myself am genuinely surprised about his opinion since he is a huge idiot.

1 Like

Ouch. Ok, guess I need to check out more, at least to not be so ignorant. But clip in question did not impress me.

Don’t… You are better off not knowing him :smiley:

You shouldn’t, I shared it to actually hear your opinion guys :smiley:

:rofl: He’s fiiine but an idiot yes :smiley:

Here is a kiss from a fellow SV to a fellow SV :smiley:

Hope so! people tempt to think we are doing bad cause it’s melee, while everyone is getting boosted besides us lol

2 Likes

All you guys here being nice and friendly to eachother, the little group of SVs I know here from the forums, I’m feeling left out D:

As for the subject at hand. Asmongold’s opinion only matters in subjects regarding transmogs, other than that I don’t really care.
We have a fun kit with a lot of interesting tools, it’s a shame Blizz is not interested in just buffing our ST and giving us some sort of raid-wide buff. That’s basicly all we need to get rid of our bad rep.

4 Likes

Current SV is a sham. An incomplete mess. Bring back old SV and delete MSV.

YES DELETE IT… IDGAF about the current MSV players. They never gave a F about us RSV players, telling us to suck it up for years. Nah bro, if they ever revert SV back to ranged I will gloat on the forums every day for a year.

While i can agree with its placing i very much disagree with his reasoning why.
I highly doubt he ever even played surivival after its rework.

The truth is the rework was a failure for 90% of the hunter playerbase.
And its generally only liked by players who didnt originally play hunters pre legion.
But those players are generally also not playing survival because the spec is usually undertuned compared to their ranged counterparts.

If survival ever becomes the go to meta spec for hunters the majority of the hunter community would riot because they have to play melee. So blizzard deliberately keeps it undertuned. But due to them always being undertuned hunters also feel like they only have 2 real dps specs and that survival should be reverted back to ranged.

Its a lose lose situation for blizzard which only exists because they decided to rework it in legion.

1 Like

I mostly agree with his list. The current SV is really unique and fun, while the old one was just like he said, boring trash. Of course it is not perfect and there is room for improvements. In my opinion, it is a bit overloaded with tools, unnecessarily. I would give up some tools for a little bigger dps.

4 Likes

Not necessary, been a Hunter since Vanilla and played SV, we had melee back then, they actually removed the melee to make it full ranged during Legion and brought the melee side back. One of the main reason I straight made an SV when I came back during Bfa and noticed the melee is once here.
But I agree with you for those who’ve been alwas MM/BM who got the full ranged SV and realized now (back then) they got a third option.

Half of the answer is the same I wrote above, the other half is first of not a failure, it isn’t lacking tools or it is melee from a bad perspective, but they only need to increase STD!

This itself require a lot of analyses. Why you think people are crying in the forum right now? not because tools or stuff, it’s simply they got nerfed in term of damage. The majority pick up a dps class based what it does in damage in that particular expension. How many played BM in bfa and turned to MM in SL, only cause MM at beginning of SL is doing high dps. Same goes for ppl crying they want ranged back, they expect it to be high in dps than others. The question is, will they switch to RSV if it remains at the bottom like the actual chart?

I would avoid saying you’re being just toxic right now and throw 999 argument, but before that, how much you played the current SV, how far did you go with it to judge, tell us first what you know about it.

3 Likes

In very early vanilla the survival tree was melee oriented yes. But after the overhaul in 1.7 that really wasnt the case anymore. From there till Mop it was more of a ranged spec with melee elements than a melee spec. And then in Mop and Wod it was only a ranged spec.
I honestly think if they made the legion rework more of a ranged spec with melee elements and with talents with make it more melee oriented there would have been way less backlash than there is right now.

Imo one of the problems was from WoD to Legion they made survival from this super easy, mobile ranged spec to a hard melee spec.

I wasnt really talking about the viability here but more of the popularity.
Increased singletarget dps would help survival to be more viable for sure especially in m+. But i dont think most hunters in general would like the best spec to be survival which is why i think it failed.

The difference between survival and bm/mm is that

If BM is the best spec 99% of hunters will play BM and the rest MM/SV.
If MM is the best spec 90% of hunters will play MM, 9% BM and the rest SV.
But if melee SV is the best spec most people would rather play the 2nd best spec than play survival.

If survival were to be ranged and ranged survival was the best spec people would play ranged survival.

I pity you, poor soul. MSV is fine, asmongold(that i dont like or follow) praising the spec will increase a lot the population…guess MSV is safe untill next expansion

1 Like

thats not how it works. SV is a Melee Spec it has to compete against other Melees in PvE. Even if it were the best Hunter Spec you still take them cuz they are Range

4 Likes

Hunter has 2 ranged spec its fine to have 1 melee/ranged. Outside of raptor strike everything else you have can be used from range and even raptor is ranged when you press aspect of the eagle.

I just feel the current sv unfinished. It feels like they worked out 90% of it and forgot to finish the last 10%. I miss the Dual wield and the trap buffing talents and all the cool traps they removed or reworked.

2 Likes

Dont exactly know what u mean.

Being range isnt an advantage over being melee on most bosses. Ur not like a rogue where all your specs are melee specs. If Survival were the best spec right now u can play SV for most of the tier and then swap to MM/BM for melee unfriendly fights like sludge.
But people would rather play MM/BM for an entire tier even if survival was the best option for bosses.

And in m+ being ranged is barely an advantage.

MarcellianOnline put it in a decent spot, also stating that it’s fun to play. And I admit I agree with one of their points, that the last tier talent does contribute to this.

And SV is a hybrid, it’s not melee nor ranged, that’s what I love about it as well.

That being said, Asmongold does like my main tank and healer spec most within its spec, prot paladin and resto shaman, gg Asmon :wink:

Melee as part of the hunter class back then was only meant to be used situationally when forced, due to range restrictions placed onto our ranged weapons.

Not even the very first live iteration of the SV talent category promoted the idea of favoring melee-combat over ranged combat.

The removal of melee happened well before Legion. It was with Legion where they added a melee-spec to the class as a replacement to a unique ranged option.

Adding more damage to SV won’t magically make it the most represented hunter spec. They’ve already done this on several occasions and it has barely done anything to it’s popularity.

Wrong.

Actually “situational” is the key word when we talk about the current SV. It isn’t fully melee, it’s a situational spec that adapts and if you play it well you will perform well against ranged or melee.

What occasions are we talking about, so far in SL we got a general boost of 5%, before that none. We got even nerfed in Mastery that we actually asked to be improved as it is useless right now.
and with what the current SV offer, yes a serious boost in STD will actually make it better. Cause if you give us 5% and you boost everything else, of course we will stay in the bottom. There is no magic in here!

Wrong with probably 1% of people, cause the majority are just following what offer high in DPS. They all went BM during BFA cause it does higher dps, they all switched to MM in SL cause it offered highest dps. To me those people shouldn’t come to tell us we want this or that, cause if you get back the RSV and it remains in the bottom, how many will go for it?!

3 Likes