SV Hunter: Asmongold Tier list and opinion

bald man bad

On a serious note, i dont get why i should care what asmon thinks …? does he control my opinion in any way im not aware of?

Asmon can control minds confirmed

My post is short enough to realize I made a post asking for your opinion. Thought that was clear enough :thinking:

I don’t follow him and I think he mostly talks nonsense, but this time I have to admit that I agree with almost everything he said. Basically, I don’t follow streamers/youtubers, nor am I interested in their opinion. I wouldn’t have seen this video if it hadn’t been posted here.

1 Like

Uldir during bfa and one patch in legion I fail to remember

Current sv will never be more popular than bm or mm,just like feral vs balance or enh vs ele

Who has an opinion on what some random reaction channel thinks? :thinking:

Sv compared to MM and BM is also allot more difficult to play plus people who prefer to play ranged will always pick either BM or MM.

What you said is a fact, and I don’t deny it, but why are we even talking about popularity :smiley: I’m even enjoying that SV is a rare spec, it makes more people wonder what to do against it.
Obviously most players when they pick Hunter is primarily due to its ranged non casting dps, making SV a sort of a special case. I personally wish there were hybrid or “special” specs at every class, I do believe it gonna makes the game even more entertaining (Imagine having a ranged rogue in a ninja style throwing knives and stuff :D)

Up to you brother. I only wanted to hear from fellow SV players what they agree/disagree with his statement and what’s their opinion on our SV, and as you can see the discussion started very positive with a good spirit :smiley:

That’s a fact bro, a very obvious fact that no one can deny :smiley:

2 Likes

Current SV is designed as a melee-spec, not a hybrid. If you decide to play it only in melee or not is up to you. But it’s design is focused on you spending all your time in melee in order to deal the most damage.

Nighthold in Legion, and even more so, Uldir in BfA…comes to mind.

Despite how well SV performed compared to the other hunter specs, it saw next to no increase in representation(relative to other classes/specs).

Not what I was arguing against…

In context, considering the argument of current SV, you have all the statistics and historical data available to check for yourself. Prior to Legion, all 3 specs were frequently played by a fair portion of the players, even when they weren’t necessarily the best but slightly behind the top performer.

Heck, SV was overall the most played spec of all 3 between WotLK and 6.2 in WoD, despite how it wasn’t always the best. The most clear example of that is Siege of Orgrimmar where it was the most played hunter spec despite being slightly behind in performance. BrF in WoD is another example(not as clear as Siege, but still well enough).

Not a single SV player will tell you we are a fully melee class, there are even full ranged builds, you seem tried SV for a little bit and thought you’ve explored it all.

Again, popularity isn’t a thing to take into consideration simply for the fact that the two other options are fully ranged spec. Some straight choose hunter cause they want to play actually SV, while to majority who pick up hunter, is a result of thinking ranged but non caster.
I would agree with this statement if we are talking about Rogue for example tho.

Idk why bringing old expansion. In many expansions there will be arguments in your favor and others in my favor. The point is now we are in SL and things have to adapt to what’s going on right now. I still stand behind my statement “if you get back the RSV and it remains in the bottom, how many will go for it?”

1 Like

Hi! I am a sv main.

Do you need to be in melee range to dk your full damage potential?

Yes.

Sv is melee.

Which are useless trash except for a couple niche situations

His entire vid boils down to: What I think looks cool. Unfortunately class design needs a whole lot more than that, and he even admits this.

He’s also objectively wrong that Survival would be more popular if it dealt more damage: It has dealt, several times, more damage than BM and Mm and it still isn’t played during those times.

Nobody denies that SV is unique, “cool” or thematically original. It’s just that it plays like a square wheel vs all the other regular tyres. Unique as heck, but not very well designed or put together.

Anyway its his opinion so thats that.

All melee classes don’t have another option. We do, and as you said there are some niche situations where you will need to go ranged, this is what I meant by “Situational spec” and even in 1vs1 there are some ranged builds that are good, you can find YouTube videos, and I’ve tried some myself, even tho I prefer to go melee.

At the end of the day, there is potential to make the ranged side very good and effective and I’ve mentioned that in several posts, just blizz isn’t giving a damn about us for now.

There’s a difference between “method of playing” and “intent of design”.

Just because certain players choose to play/utilize the toolkit in a particular way that does not mean that the spec is designed to be played that way.

The hunter class is designed as a damage dealer through all 3 specs, and in order to deal the most damage as SV, you need to fight in melee. Does that mean that the way players fight necessarily coincides with the above? No, but that’s beside the point. It has nothing to do with the intent of the design itself.

You used popularity as a counter-argument and compared it to why players choose to play as hunters, from the early days til now…

In short, you’re essentially trying to say that the reason MSV never manages to garner a sizable following is because it’s always lacked ST damage and not because it was turned into a melee-spec.

You do this despite how all evidence tells us differently…

Because that’s when RSV was a thing…

Because it ties into the argument of why people choose to play hunters…

This is why the argument of popularity and representation, even in older expansions, IS relevant.

We can see that RSV when we had it was overall the most popular hunter spec, despite how it wasn’t always the top performer, despite how it was sometimes the worst of the hunter specs.

There’s really no reason to assume that it will be different now, if they were to return it to us. Even if it does not end up as the top performer.

Note that I’m not arguing for the removal of MSV, only for returning RSV(a modern version).

This isn’t what I’m saying. I’m saying people pick up Hunter because they thing of two elements: Ranged, Non casting. WoW doesn’t offer any other class that has those two elements combined. SV however is always the minority, you go for it when you try it and love it. I’m myself an example. Before I took a long break, I was playing SV, when I came back (lost my old account) I straight made hunter to go for SV. I never had interest for casting or ranged in general.

Again I said that the argument you’ve made previously regarding this would be more accurate when the three specs are all dps, or all ranged or all melee like Rogue. I don’t use popularity as an argument for in here for the simple fact that we CAN compare MM to BM, but not MM to SV or BM to SV (in this particular case)

True, and my point is not about top performer, but I said bottom, cause in the actual chart we are at the bottom, and when you go to the forum do you see SV players crying? you see MM crying right now. Bottom line, we can keep arguing till next expansion, we both know that there is like 1% who stay true to their spec (you might be one of those who want RSV and will play it no matter what) but the vast majority are just following what’s high in dps (reason why I said they all went BM during BFA and MM at beginning of SL)

When it comes to his class ratings my input is that he is trolling, either that or hes ignorant/unknowledgeable. Im gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say he is trolling :slight_smile:

Some do, yes. Although it’s nothing but an assumption on your end that this is the reason why people play as hunters.

It’s part of the reason(can be), but there’s more to it than that.

Not entirely sure what you mean by this but…yeah, sure. Some who try SV do come to enjoy it.

Why not?

Just because it’s melee it should be excluded from any judgement/comparisons?

No. The devs destroyed a part of this class to make room for something where much of it’s core focus have no ties to the general class fantasy itself. They have said so themselves since the rework, “Survival is a niche spec and isn’t necessarily meant for long-time hunters who originally picked this class as they more often prefer the ranged aspects tied to it”.

Translation: They did not care about the actual hunter community and what was sought after by it/them.

This is why people constantly judge them on that particular decision.

Yes, I do. Frequently…

Check the forums yourself. There are new posts/topics every day about how bad BM/MM/SV are when it comes to performance.

While it more often matters for situational usefulness, in general all three hunter specs are a bit low atm. Still, both MM and BM are in the top 5 of the most played specs in the game(MM still keeping with that 1st place).

If only 1% of players stick to the class/specs and the rest reroll to the top performer, how does this match the numbers above? Shouldn’t hunter class representation be in the bottom then?

The concept of making a hybrid spec came nice, probably the visualization of the it was great, but we know how blizz screw up things. That’s why I said before I wish each class had a hybrid spec (but they should do good job!)
What bothers me right now with SV is that people judge it as a final product, with the lack of improvement and how they don’t understand it, I find it “too early too judge” well this term isn’t really the right to use. Besides the fact it’s a tough spec to learn, I only wish Bliz could finish it so people can finally judge. This is something every SV who got their hand on the spec long enough feels. I mean after years of playing it, I can feel what’s wrong each every build, spell, combo at every situation, from m+ to raids to dual to pvp to WM ON … thing that blizz didn’t even try (And I can give you examples)

I haven’t had the chance to say what I’ve mentioned in several posts. There is opportunity to work on the Ranged side “In the CURRENT SV” and if you’re familiar with the spec here are the main points I’ve mentioned:

• SV can already use a reanged weapon, but for some reason you can’t use kill shot with a ranged weapon (Blizz logic at its finest lol)
  • SV has already enough tool to keep the distance and slow opponent as each ranged spec, in fact we have stun, thing that ranged don’t usually have (make it a potential good ranged)
  • We got two shots since SL pre patch, but their damage are low, and the main one costs 40 focus which is too much (increase damage and reduce focus)
  • If they add back what they’ve removed since Legion RSV spells, both MSV lovers and RSV lovers will be happy, and as MSV player, I would love to have opportunity to use the RSV side that currently work at some situation but right now it lacks so much damage.

I mean the potential is here, only Blizz need to step up. I’m just annoyed by the RSV people who ask to remove MSV and didn’t even try it to say it’s trash. It is NOT trash, it is doing well!!

I’m sorry but let’s not lie to ourselves, where were the MM back in BFA? How many BM you’ve seen at the beginning of SL? I don’t say magic or something impossible, people are just following what’s highest in dps at the current patch. Well I don’t care what they do with their lives. What bothers me is that they come here to impose themselves like “We want RSV back and remove MSV” to play it for 1 month and move on. Why should I pay the price while I play the MSV since ever?!!

1 Like

The melee-concept is on it’s third expansion by now…

In what world can you argue that we shouldn’t consider it’s design as a “final product”? How can it possibly be “too early to judge”?

Besides, what does any of this have to do with what you quoted?

In context, most hunters who voice a distaste for SV do so because of how it was implemented and what they took away in the process. They don’t judge it as much on it’s design as a melee-spec.
Why? Because that’s less relevant to the discussion.

Any attempt at trying to merge the old SV with what we have now would be a giant failure.

For several reasons, one being how the two differing core themes are just that, too different to work properly together.
Another being that we would essentially only end up with 2 halves of 2 different specs because there isn’t room for more than that.

Fully understand this.

Imagine how we feel we who loved playing the old RSV…

Since when is this a lie?

#https://wowranks.io/stats

You can clearly see that both MM and BM are in the top 5 while MSV is at the bottom by a large margain, despite how all 3 hunter specs are fairly equal on throughput(again in general, niche/situational usefulness varies ofc).

On this, I can only speak for myself, and I’ve never said that…

The spec has been in the game soon for 3+ expansions and they still can’t make it work. More or less the same story with Demo, save for when it is broken for some absurd reason and then nerfed to the ground.

If you can’t make a spec work in one, let alone two expansions, it’s time to admit you were wrong.

Current survival is awesome, I agree with his comparison to what SV used to be like compared to now. SV just brings extra flavour to hunters now.

3 Likes