Sylvanas and Blood Elves - Inconcistencies

I would like to discuss an aspect regarding the Blood Elves and Sylvanas mainly, as they victimise themselves so much when it comes to their past with the Lich King and how he and his Scourge army have scarred their lands and race.

When it comes to Sylvanas it is pretty strange how she despises Arthas so much, yet she acts so much just like he did. Killing her own people and resurrecting them as undead. Doesn’t mind wiping enemy territories in the most brutal way.
She turned into what she hated the most, the man who slaughtered her home.

It is quite sad and ironic. But it doesn’t stop here. The people who agree with what she is doing and how she is doing it, are the very people who were there next to her when they were slaughtered by the same villain in the past.

The Blood Elves seem to have forgotten that there is a Dead Scar right in the middle of their territory, going down all the way to Ghostlands and the bottom of it. The significance of it has fadded from their memories, or they simply don’t understand that you should not turn into that which has tried to end you, your friends and family.

Lor’themar doesn’t seem to have a big problem following a Warchief who acts just as the Lich King did, in every way possible, and even if he can see something in Sylvanas that others can’t, he still doesn’t see the danger in allowing her to run and grow her own version of the Scourge, even if it means that his people, the blood elves, are turned into undead.

He should be the first race leader within the Horde to disagree and oppose her actions, yet he goes against the past and against the logic with how faithfully he and his people are going down this path.

From Sylvanas’ perspective it makes more sense because she was turned into a Banshee and used by the Lich King himself, so of course that process has corrupted her mind and traumatised her. Sane high/blood elves such as Alleria and Vereesa can see that, and they know best because they are her sister. It’s just very ridiculous that the majority of the blood elves don’t seem to have any problem with Lor’themar and Sylvanas aswell.

5 Likes

Let’s be fair here.

As far as we’ve been fed, when it comes to LTT, the Blood Elves and Sylvanas, we barely got anything except, at first, hints of respect for the hero that was slain during the Scourge Invasion but also at the same time hints of dessenting from LTT’s side.

We see this ‘develop’ when LTT and Thalyssra’s dialogue detail plausible further disagreement and possible discussion of promoting the rebellion. And after the upcoming raid, we read him apparently going full loco against Sylvanas from there on with the Alliance (hnnngh).

So with respect, what you write is only truthful if LTT doesn’t do anything when we see he actually does. Presumably, he will also pull the Blood Elves into this viewpoint ‘eventually’.

The fact that it isn’t happening ‘now’ is both a player’s circumstance and desire, but also to the tardiness or lack of accuracy pointed out by developers.

Give it time- This story isn’t up to par and whilst smacking it about seems fun and a reasonable facet to ‘cool off’, getting a headache or feeling agonized by it does not help. :x

1 Like

Lor’themar joined the rebellion of Saurfang in 8.2.so I don’t see the problem here.

Also Sylvanas died defending the kingdom that day the scourge pulled the dead scar over the land. In the meantime alliance didn’t give a crap. So the alliance allowed Arthas and the scourge to happen. If anything we should ask why we don’t see more elves actually celebrating every time the alliance suffers :slight_smile:

1 Like

another thread lost to the ever burgeoning hunger that is horde bias v. alliance bias.

that didn’t take long.

1 Like

Damn, I didn’t want to be that guy! D:

Blizzard had every intention of splitting the fanbase from the start of this xpac (look at all those advertisements of It matters) and they have succeeded. I feared some of the worst of people, when I saw the tribalism those ads would bring. It was a toxic marketing strategy and even if lacking malevolent intentions, added to the state of BfA…has done more damage to this franchise in one year than maybe WoD ever did.

3 Likes

Fact 1: Blizzard has never given us any insight into what the common dregs of society think of Sylvanas after the burning.

Fact 2: The entire Blood Elven leadership has either been actively suspicious or straight up resenting of her all the way back since before WotLK.

Opinion 1 supported by lore in game: Sylvanas was their Ranger General at the time of the Scourge invasion. As told by Lor’Themar in the heritage questline
the Blood Elves believe that it was thanks to Sylvanas and her rangers alone that any of them managed to survive. It’s therefore possible that any Blood elven support for NuSylvanas could stem from a sense of gratitude for what she and her rangers gave to defend Silvermoon.

Opinion 2 supported by lore in the game: Blood Elves hate the Night Elves. Apparently. Maybe. I mean, there was Lorash and Sylvanas’s musings in A good War to back it up. But then we have the missions in Warcraft 3: TFT so who really knows. But it’s still possible that some may not care for what happened to the Night Elves.

Payback for what you purple knife ears did to the Arcane Sanctums back in BC. :triumph:

Opinion 3: Baine and Saurfang both suck.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, what did they do that deserved hundreds if not thousands to burn alive?

This is slander!

those arcane sanctums held millions of stored knowledge that could only be kept in store so long as the built in orerry was cycling.

you monster. now the blood elves will never know the marvel that is spinning orbs of metal.

2 Likes

I ain’t gonna say it. What would be the point, now?

It was tongue-in-cheek. I was hoping the smiley was enough to give it away.
But hey, maybe Ley-keeper Velania at the West Sanctum is indeed bouncing around in pure joy at the news from Teldrassil.

Her story will never be told. Poor shame.

3 Likes

:triumph: was a poor choice then :slightly_frowning_face:

She may be one of the lucky ones to never have attention. No attention is good attention! Our (second) greatest Warchief had virtually no attention for two years! Two years of peace, interdimensional orcs and orange birbs notwithstanding!

Speaking of orange birbs, Pepe is an Old God…I just know it…

She ressurected like 5 skeletons, in front of the Underciry Walls, during a War, described by an Alliance point of view , thus biased.

The Blood elves heritage armor questline is literally a tribute to Sylvannas sacrifice to defend them.

Thats why in 8.2 when Lorthemar actually decides to join Saurfang Thrall and Baine he says “I hope the blood elves stand with me in this decision” because its obvious many, will not.

So no she is no Arthas. When it comes to killing Alliance maybe. But no, she hasnt harmed the Horde! She is fighting for the Horde

3 Likes

Same villain? No. Arthas, the Lich King was the guy who messed up the Belfs. Sylvanas was the one who, when alive, did everything she could to stop him and continued to do the same when she was undead. So I don’t see the irony you are trying to infer here.

No, they have not forgotten anything as it’s shown during their heritage armor quest. In fact what you seem to want them to forget was that Sylvanas was the only one helping them revive their near-dead kingdom when no one else wanted to bother, the Alliance even going as far as sabotaging their efforts.

Lor’themar has a problem apparently and that does not make sense considering the above said. But for some reason he’s becoming a Honor Buddy ready to forget any actual acts of aggression committed against the Belfs by the Alliance and specifically Proudmoore and make truces with these people to take down Sylvanas and at the same time forget everything Sylvanas did for them when no one else would bother.

He should be the last to do that especially considering the current situation.

This sounds an awful lot like “I don’t like Sylvanas and I think everyone should hate her” .

1 Like

She is fighting for her version of the Horde. If she start to spit on the opinions of other leaders she stop to fight for the Horde in general. And how can you say that she doesn’t harmed the Horde if two leaders say the opposite?

The irony is that if they’re for Sylvanas they literally support the same monster. Ok, I have to admit that it would be more hypocritical.

Ah, Sylvanas. SCOURGE FLASHBACKS!

I think as Zandalari you would be happy to see it all destroyed. :stuck_out_tongue:

if i wanna make this talanji plan work…

old habits die hard.

inb4 Zul did nothing wrong?

no. no. no. no. no.

let the garithos one get overdone to the nib first. ‘did nothing wrong’ sayings are turning into an even bigger meme than it already is.

Garithos did nothing wrong. Zul did nothing wrong. Zul’jin did nothing wrong. Garrosh did nothing wrong. Sylvanas did nothing wrong. Arthas did nothing wrong. Kil’jaeden did nothing wrong.

1 Like