Sylvanas book

What’s the point of Sylvanas by Christie Golden? Seriously? I don’t know. It’s not like the whole story has been experienced to us in game(s) and like a dozen books, literally. What’s the point of another book about the same story for like the 20th time?

1 Like

Because Steve Danuser can’t have enough of her.

15 Likes

Milking the simps.

9 Likes

Just like the Arthas novel she wrote, it’ll cover the character’s whole story and add nuance and depth to certain aspects of it.

Her novel about Arthas was amazing, so if nothing else, then it makes for great reading.

12 Likes

Despite the fact her character has taken a change that most people don’t enjoy, she has been a central character in the game for a long time now.

Simply put, if you don’t like it, don’t buy or read the book.

4 Likes

If that was the reason, they would write a book about tyrande/jaina.

3 Likes

Who simps for Tyrande…

I would not mind a book featuring Tyrande, the Winter Queen, Alexstrasza, and Chromie. If it would be classed as adult entertainment, even more so.

What? Who doesn’t want some gory, bloody carnage? What else were you thinking, you dirty minded fool?!

1 Like

Tyrande book would be cool if they actually portray her character properly but then again they like making night elves look completely useless and inept so I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Interesting, so can you tell me exactly what happened after Sylvanas threw herself from the top of Icecrown? Why did she sit quietly until BfA? How exactly did she get her powers? How did she know destroying the helm would break the sky? How often/how did she communicate with the Jailer?

I could probably come up with more questions… :slight_smile:

1 Like

THIS

I am just desperate to know what she has been up to behind the scenes; I can never stand being kept in the dark. I have to know what has been going on.

Whilst Shadowlands is far from perfect, the one thing that has kept me playing and following the game is to find out how this all connects together! I mean, we’ve got things from WoTLK connecting to the modern game. I HAVE to know what the grand plot is here!

I hope the book is sold in the UK as I desperately want to read it.

4 Likes

All the nelf druids pretty much.

I swear if they repeat her death scene one more time…

We get it, she was killed by Arthas turned into a Banchee.

There is already 5 videos about this? Some of them are being repeated

3 Likes

She saw the absolute howling abyss of darkness that awaited her upon her final death, then she got her magical winged “Get out of jail Free” cards in the form of the Val’kyr and was brought back to undeath.

Because that is how she previously operated? It was only in Legion that this changed, when she became Warchief. Bit of a big Legion War going on, so she had to put her ‘gunboat diplomacy’ plan on hold until that had died down, and then BfA happened.

Because she is the Horde’s Jaina. Loads of thirsty fans and inexplicable powers that don’t make sense. How did she get them lorewise? Who knows. It doesn’t make lore sense. Nothing had changed in her situation to warrant them, but then, that is the same as flying galleons. Plus, let’s face it, Just as Christie Golden favours Jaina, Steve Danuser favours Sylvanas. Those two need to get a room and work out their issues.

Its a pretty logical assumption to make, to be honest. It is intrinsically linked to Death, and the Lich King was referred to as the Jailor of the Damned, so breaking it would break his power in that capacity, and likely open up the realm to where those souls who are not Damned (as such) Go to. Makes sense to be honest.

Probably the point at which she entered the Shadowlands herself. Otherwise her words and actions make no sense whatsoever. She saw that horrible darkness (Presumably the Maw) when she flung herself off Icecrown. She then comes out with the ridiculous line of “Life Is a Prison, and I will set us all Free” and then straightaway jumps into bed with a guy who is literally called “The Jailor”. Now correct me if I am wrong here, but someone called ‘The Jailor’ is not someone I would associate with ‘Freedom’. I mean that is the diametric -opposite- of what she says her intentions are. She is literally aiding a guy who wants all souls to go to an eternal prison of torment. How is that “Setting us all Free”?

She -is- like Jaina, stupid powers that make no lore sense, and vastly overused in game and story.

We -know- her story. We saw it in WCIII, she sings about it in TBC, She monologues about it in Cata in Silverpine, We see it -yet again- in Warbringers…Which actually makes no sense under any critical analysis. Right, so she is the Ranger General of Quel’thalas, yeah? The Ranger-General is in charge of -all- Thalassian military assets (Fun fact, the title actually far predates the Farstrider order) and yet there she is duking it out -alone- against Arthas? That isn’t how it works! We -know- there were other Farstriders still alive, because, well, some of them are still alive! What type of General goes “Well, I could use the armies I have at my command, or I could Powerslide into Frostmourne on my own” You’d have to be criminally incompetent to think that way as a General. Likewise Warbringers. She rules the Forsaken, they would literally follow her to Hell and back. So what on earth is she playing at wandering up alone to Icecrown and using her Mary Sue powers? She could have brought an -Army- and that is assuming that she didn’t even command the -rest- of the Horde to come with her.

We know why. If we look at it honestly.

She should have died at the end of Wrath when she dived off Icecrown, beautiful cinematic, poignant music, then just Bam! She’s done. Narratively that would have been perfect. That would have been brilliant storytelling.

Instead she lingers around like that bad guest who overstays their welcome at a House Party, when everyone else has gone home, and the hosts clearly just want to go to bed.
Like Jaina, she is rapidly becoming Me’dan 2.0… In Fact she’s already there. A lot of people are sick of her, and being oversaturated with stuff all about her, and how tormented she is. You can only listen to The Cure or The Sisters of Mercy so many times before it sounds like a repetitive wail of misery. Likewise Sylvanas.

Her story needs to end, somehow, in Shadowlands, and no, we don’t need another recounting of how tragic her death was. We know…

Wouldn’t be so bad if Blizz could actually write believable female characters, but it seems they can’t.

3 Likes

I’m glad Tyrande is getting a bit of spotlight with the whole Night Warrior storyline but what’s annoyed me is it took her to borrow the power of an actual god to become powerful.

Understandably a single character is only ever as powerful as the writer needs them to be at that time, but pre Night Warrior, Tyrande has been alive for like, 10,000+ years and has fought in, and survived, just about every major battle to take place on Azeroth. She is supposed to be a formidable combatant, just like any Night Elves. The Orcs used to fear engaging in battle with them because they were considered so primitive and ruthless. Tyrande is the leader of this faction, but isn’t considered interesting, competent or powerful unless she has the Night Warrior’s power.

2 Likes

It’s already been described in details in a book, don’t remember which one, check out wowpedia, it’s not hard to find out. I think it’s Sylvanas Windrunner: Edge of Night short story, but I’m not certain.

Uhm… you mean until Legion? Because she didn’t have enough powers, and her goal was pretty much only to stay alive.

She died, and was raised as a Banshee.

What I’m trying to say here is that we basically already have all these answers, and basically the only thing they’re trying to do with this book is adjust the retcons they’ve come up with just recently when the idea of Shadowlands popped up.

Well, in her defense, Arthas(the player) pretty much killed her entire army. Remember it was basically a genocide.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, it only says she was in hell and the valkyr took her place. It doesn’t say anything about her and the Jailer.

I mean yes, she wasn’t the warchief until Legion, but if she indeed met the Jailer when she first died and formed some kind of plan then, she definitely didn’t seem to be doing anything about that for several expansions. Why?

All I’m trying to say is that if you’re planning a genocide, you don’t just wait until you become a president to start a war

Yeah except she totally didn’t have this much power back in Legion when she fought the Legion or Genn

It’s very stupid I agree. During the night warrior scenario Nathanos easily holds off Night Warrior Tyrande + Malfurion + Player until he does the classic “ENOUGH!”. Then a little later during pre-patch Tyrande comes back and easily 1v1s him. I guess an argument could be made that she becomes more and more powerful as time goes on but I’ve yet to see a confirmation of this (imo nathanos had 0 reason for being as OP as he was but then again he was pretty much a cringy self insert).

Nevermind how Tyrande was portrayed before becoming the Night Warrior, she’s supposed to be a very capable strategist having been in command of the night elf forces for thousands of years. I remember in MoP during the story (Landfall I think it was) she just goes “RAWR WE NEED TO ATTACK HORDE HEAD ON” without a second thought. Varian disagrees, lures horde into traps, wins the battle and she goes “omg that was so impressive uwu”.

Exactly!

I understand the game/encounter designers need the fight to last more than a few hits, but pre-NW Tyrande would have put Nathanos to the dirt. She was alive before the Sundering so whilst we don’t know her exact age, she would roughly be 13,000 years old. Nathanos is human (now undead) but he has been alive, what, 50 years? That’s a mere spec of existence compared to Tyrande. That’s 13,000 years of experience in battle to compete with.

I hate to sound like a Tyrande stan. I enjoy the character because I enjoy Night Elves, and people have a habit of thinking because they’re elves they simply cannot be powerful or dangerous.

And eventually they will

2 Likes