Sylvanas' Val'kyr

Okay. I know this might sound like a total noob question, but how many Val’kyr has Sylvanas left now? Shouldn’t it be 1 or 2 at a max? And considering how eager she seems to die, judging by her fighting 1v1 against Malfurion I guess even those few won’t stay alive for long anymore either.

Assuming this to be true, that Sylvanas is depleting her Val’kyr resources at a rate exceeding the human use of fossil fuels, wouldn’t that mean that the undead are quite literally heading towars extinction?

1 Like

Three out of the Nine are still alive; two named (Kyra and Signe) and one unnamed so at best Sylvanas has one get out of death card left since her resurrection last time took three of her val’kyr. However the resurrection cost seems to increase since only one was required at ICC.

One sacrificed herself to resurrect Sylvanas at ICC.
Three sacrificed to bring back Sylvanas after she got shot to the head at Silverpine Forest.
One was killed by the Alliance Champion at Andorhal.
One was killed by Tyrande at Darkshore.

Well that has been the dilemma of the Forsaken from the day one.

“I think often about our future, hero. My people cannot reproduce. Are we not destined, then, to wither away eventually? No. The Forsaken will never stop fighting. Not while I reign. Not when there are still beings out there with the power to stop death.”

• Sylvanas
5 Likes

Ah that cleared my question up, at least on how many are left. Thanks for that!
So I guess her best bet in regards to keeping on “living” and making more forsaken is to either get more Val’kyr, howerver she plans to manage that with Eyir quite aware of her, or get in kahoots with the Lich King. Though in the latter case its questionable how willing he is to help her out…

Well, enjoy your unlive for as long as it still lasts Forsaken.

Nah it’s just because of the first Val’kyr being the most powerfull one. Annhylde the Caller were powerfull enought to ressurect Ingvar the plunderer into a deathknight, which means her powerlevel were very close to the Lich King’s.

There’s acctually some more minor Val’kyr in service of Sylvanas so even if she lose these remaining three which made the pact, there’s still means for her to ressurect ordinary undead. However the ability to perform feats like restoring Nanthanos(or ressurect beings like her and him) will forever be lost if these three are consumed.

I think she will attempt to steal the power of Ner’zhul by using the empty Xal’atath on his crown to seal the power into a new vessel. Cause currently I think Sylvanas whould be rejected and destroyed by it’s power. If Sylvanas however manage to get hold of that power, who knows what she whould do… She’s already reckless enought to even make the new Lich King claim that she upsets the balance between life and death.

Because the Lich King was created for Balance…
I don’t mind Bwonsamdi or Eyir saying such, they are old old beings.

The lich king is a recent aspect of Death, with a somewhat Shrewd personality disorder.

1 Like

Well he’s probably still to a big degree Bolvar and i think he has capacity to shame Sylvanas as much as he please. Unfortunately he’s a very weak Lich King and can’t properly control the undead.

Who knows what will happen… Especially since that Ominous N’zoth whisper about “The veil wanes. His crown will open the way.”. But then again I might still think this whispers about the lost crown of King Menethil.

Bolvar didn’t become the Lich King to destroy life on the planet. He gave up his life so he was able to control the Scourge and not let it wash over the world.

That’s why she needs either the Lich King or Helya, who can just create enough Valkyr to last countless lifetimes.

1 Like

I thought the lesser Val’kyr were tied to the Nine and so disappear once the originator has been destroyed like what happened in Andorhal.

To bluntly put it. As many as the plot requires there to be.

And this kind of response.
Is why having discussions on these forums is becoming Stale.

1 Like

Essentially this. Given some writers track record, I doubt they are keeping count of how many are left.
And even if there are indeed few:

1. Blizzard can always come up with ways to create more.
  2. The Forsaken race would live on thanks to a number of plots or narratives that could be created/used in order to back up the obvious meta knowledge we have regarding the impossibility of erasing a playable race in this game.

Even if all the major ones are gone, it would be as simple as saying that the minor ones are able to resurrect people too. So far, the major ones have been written to have as principal goal to save Sylvanas from hell. Blizzard can work on a story that distributed any/all of their other functions to the rest of minor Valkyr.

1 Like

Well, as i mentioned, with the right circumstances, LK or Helya can create an infinite amount of Valkyr, and Sylvanas already made a deal with Helya, details of which are unknown, but since Helya is alive and well, i expect something in the future.

I would say Sylvanas is vulnerable, going by she needs either 5 or 9 now! Maybe that’s why she is sending the Val’kyr out more often since she knows she can’t be resurrected anymore. Either she dies and the last 3 die to ress ressurect her, or she dies and it will be permamently.

Helya was defeated (even killed for a time?) and the Lantern was destroyed. I don’t see how she can or could provide more means to creating more Val’kyr. Furthermore I see no reason for Helya to even work with Sylvanas as she sent her forces to kill her in Legion.

During the island expedition one Vrykul confirms that Helya is still alive. Also this ship is setting sails again in BfA. The bargain Sylvanas had could still be active.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Naglfar
https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.net/wowpedia/f/f4/The_Naglfar_Un%27gol_Ruins.jpg?version=b8291ec1f76ed8a831f43fcf3232c663

I know she is back, I am wondering if she was killed for a time before being raised back up. Or just a “ENOUGH” then proceeds to leave for a bit.

1 Like

For all we know she is capable of crossing freely between Shadowlands and the material plane. Really depends where Blizz wants to go with it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t really doubt that. Dialogue like “There are so few of us left now.” from Signe after the Darkshore introduction suggests that someone in Blizzard is indeed able to count to nine. At least vaguely.

They could, but they really don’t have to. You can’t erase a player race, but you don’t have to constantly grow it, either. And I don’t think the idea of Sylvanas having an infinite number of horcruxes to ressurect with is very benefitial from a writing perspective.

I mean, most races haven’t even had one full new generation since the third war.

1 Like

Coming from the guys that weren’t sure about whether Fandral was dead or alive…?
Doubt.

I don’t know if for example they’ll count the one that died in Andorhal, or the ones that died in Silverpine.

Thats why i said:

Having a “Get out of jail” card isn’t really necessary. It just an additional lazy plot device, like Anduins Bones, or the Avatar of Elune.
Unneeded for compelling narratives.