Texture flickering in World of Warcraft

I had this in the week - see my video above, like yourself it just appeared one day.

Turning on RTX (if you card can support it) ‘fixed’ it but it not ideal. I’ve tried half a dozen Nvidia drivers and I either get to pick between massive FPS loss or flickering (without RTX).

I’m happy with my work around and might actually stick with RTX from now on but it doesn’t solve the issue at all.

I don’t have RTX, I’m using a MSI GTX 980 ti and still using an old driver from last year - 456.5.
Never had any issues at all before until yesterday , it seems if I log into Bastian its ok, but if I leave the zone and return and its very prominent like your video.

Like I said I 've not changed anything from the launch of the expansion, this just started happening completely randomly yesterday for no reason at all on my end, play a few other games, most with far more graphically demanding requirements but no issues at all with those.

I’ve never had any real issues with WoW ever before over 15 years, until Shadowlands were everything seems to have turned to s**t for alot of people, far more than for it to be just a coincidence, its defiantly on their end .

Sorry you are having a hard time, yes my FPS issues with 9.0.5 hit a week after the patched dropped, worked fine for a week and then without changes - nope.

Then I thought I fixed it for a few days and then the flickering started (again no changes at my end) . Fortunately I am computer science trained and like solving issues but many just want to play.

The drop in testing and quality control is there to see from Blizzard. I get the engine is old (at its heart) but they need to fix stuff like this instead of blaming the user, which is the default response on here. (I get sometimes things will slip through but some acknowledgement of issues would be nice and would gain some understanding from most players)

1 Like

This… exactly its always a user issue response first from them for most issues, very annoying, but there comes a point when for 1000’s of users the “coincidence” of same issue becomes quite obvious its not on their end.

TBH I think Blizz don’t have an actual honest response to give because they don’t know what it is themselves and certainly don’t have the staff and time to delve in to the issue full time until its fixed… its easier for them to just “pass the buck”

These days , at least last 3 expansions, Blizz don’t realy put time into fix anything properly, they just “band aid” everything and then keep adding more “band aids” as time goes buy… terrible work practice to have.

1 Like

I would add I don’t think Nvidia are blameless in this (look on their forums, there is so much anger at the moment. Issues everywhere) But Blizzard’s communication is really lacking in this area.

I can’t believe this issue is still not resolved. Having to use dx11 means big fps drop. I hit 200fps with dx12 on. Selecting autodetect or clicking on the main gpu fixes it for that particular gaming session, but this is happening on such a regular basis. Nvidia still haven’t provided a fix in the latest drivers either.

I’ve reduced shadows to low to see if it will help, and will try turning triple buffering off after this but I’m sceptical about either.

@Blizzard is there an update on this issue?

3 Likes

I have had this issue since November when I installed a 3080.

RTX 3080 FE
AMD 5900x

Turning on Ray Traced Shadows (RTX) fixed it for me (3070 though and a 5800x) . Have you tried that?

disabling tripple buffering solved it for me

1 Like

Turned out to be g-sync in the nividia-panel for me. Holy f finnaly.

Every other fix above only reduced the effects of the flickering, but unchecking g-sync completely removed the flickering.

What I did to fix the textures from flickering was turning off “Ray Traced Shadows” in the system -> advanced menu. Instantly fixed it for me!

This fixed my issue as well. Thanks @Dustee

If deleting shader cache with cleanmgr does the trick then its most defiantly nvidia driver issue that been brought back again

Kinda shocking that this bug is still around, nvidia is not the company it used to be, now we’re having AMD level of bad drivers.

I’ve personally not had it in months (over 6) 3070 and Win11 it is not always the developers fault.

Whenever there is flicker its probably MPO related google MPO Nvidia fix you see a lot of search results of what it causes with fixes included
MPO = Microsoft feature AMD is having their own MPO related isssues as well now not in world of warcraft currently but im already getting ptsd from seeing screen fade to black, even tho it transitioning to a movie.
MPO is enabled at 8 bit color depth not at 10 bit color depth i believe, eitherway give disabling MPO a try.

edit: just realized this is an 1 year old topic that was bumped, my recommendation still stands however, its most likely MPO related.

for AMD users there already been reports of screenrecording fixing graphical glitches because on AMD screenrecording disables MPO, anyway this is on AMD gpu tho this may not be the case for shadowplay on a Nvidia gpu.

Still happening for me.