The fate of Nathanos

I personally consider Nathanos to be a good character: he’s a villain similar to Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter, who, while not actually doing much, manages to become a target of hate by the virtue of their extremely unlikeable personality and impossible smugness.

But villains like this require a good conclusion. Characters like Nathanos, which are full of negative charisma, are really good candidates for a villainous breakdown scene, where they are finally put down a notch and, because they are not used to losing, completely lose it.

Imagine if Nathanos tried to “enough” during his boss fight, but then some third party appears (like Tyrande) and apprehends him for us, leaving him at our mercy. Kind of similar to the Lich King’s ICC fight - except Nathanos is not the Lich King. So instead of just calmly accepting his death, he’ll be begging for mercy, crying and weeping for Sylvanas’s help as he is cut down to pieces. I’d enjoy that ending.

5 Likes

He’ll come after Sylvanas was murdered, gently nudge her, go ballistic on the Horde throne, and then gently take her in his claw and fly away.

10 Likes

That sounds pretty personal, did Nathanos blightbomb and raise your dog so that it’s biting your ankles now?

Just remember, whatever hardship it is, there’s a night elf out there that has it much worse!

Oh btw, Nathanos is a great character, I for one hope he sticks around for allot longer to come.

That I do not deny. Great characters do not have to be good or likeable.

1 Like

No they just have to be killed off in a degrading way because…?
Tyrande is such an awesome character that needs another Hyped up moment?

Because it’s satisfying to see a good bad guy to be offed in a powerful way. Just consider the death of Scar in the Lion King. WoW really has very few really satisfying antagonist deaths because that is how raids work.

Just because a character is good does not mean they cannot die. In fact, a good death can serve to make the character even more compelling.

1 Like

Nathanos is representative of what on average, any Old School Forsaken character should be.

Spiteful, petty, cruel,…but loyal, dutiful, and relentless.
Proficient in his area of expertise, a solid background, understandable motives behind his actions, and with the additional bonus of having some fresh approach regarding PCs.

If Saurfang, Maarad, or any other grizzled-Old veteran had the need to have some Forsaken equivalent that summarised as well their races culture and mindset…that’d be Nathanos.

He is fine as is.

And I’m not really fond of this ongoing trend of punishing characters for behaving exactly as their race was written to.
It’s the equivalent of killing Shandris for being ‘excessively Night elf’.

2 Likes

The Horde doesn’t need whatever few characters it has left ‘offed’ in any way. Specially if the reasons to do so are founded on them behaving as their race was written to be.

I mean, you know that I want the Alliance to be hit with a villain bat and killed off en masse as well. If Nathanos is not killed, well, let him go through character development, have him actually suffer consequences of being a smug dick.

Uh why? So that he becomes another zero personality like the rest of the Horde characters are atm?

But donchu worry, I’m sure there’ll be plenty of character regression before this expac is done.

Why? He is about as smug as Shaw, Genn, or Maiev.

He had his consequences. He was defeated in Darkshore. He saw his military effort and war campaign fail spectacularly.
He was raided by the Alliance in Vanilla, by his cousin, and almost rotted away.

If only, I’d expect some of the opposite.

You are implying I find Shaw or Genn likeable either. These characters can be smug, it’s just satisfying for them to suffer downfalls that have a visible effect on their psyche. Moments of weakness that render them helpless.

1 Like

I wonder, will he stay on Sylvanas side, or he the one who will murder her, like in Game of Thrones? )

If we are to go down said avenue, I find much more plausible to have Sylvanas die a karmic death, and a sudden twist that turns some currently warmongering and vindictive ‘good guy’ leader into the true enemy.

Given the hints given by Old God minions, and the parallels so far…wouldn’t rule this out.

He’s being set up as the replacement for Sylvanas. The only question is when and by under what circumstances he’ll switch sides.

Maybe she’ll burn his registry.

This combination of a prick and a lapdog can go to hell as fast as possible. I prefer a long and painful death. Probably we can reach this effect it we do the same with Sylvanas and let him watch.

1 Like

So he’s a good character… and he should break his character when he dies so it’s satisfying ot kill him?

I don’t get that.
Why would Nathanos of all people beg? The way his character is, he’d die head held high if it’s to, say let Sylvanas escape while he’s holding the Alliance off or something like that.

3 Likes

Go home Orc, you are drunk

What about the Blight them all! Don’t let anything live part? He is hardly a passive ‘evil’

Would be nice, just him and me, and a crowbar to give him the Robin treatment in Joker-style
Ahh… its nice to have dreams
But I guess this is every Kaldorei’s dream too, so not that unique

A human after all, they tend to break. After a point. We will find time to find his breaking point. But you are such a tease! You mean orc, these fantasies are not healthy… I have problems already with the Whispers
But yeah, would be nice

What do you know, we are not so different after all… :eyes:

I’m sure it’s been said before but Nathanos and Sylvanas will ride off into the sunset, both alive and blood pumping again. Never to be seen again.

I don’t think he would ever turn on Sylvanas.