The races I chose for my classes based on lore

Believe it or not, this is what I picked

For my hunter - Blood elf , I just felt that the ranger identity was strongest on the blood elf over the night elf. Sure night elves have huntresses, and we’ve got strong identities of that, although its a bit confused - i suspect half the players feel night elves are paficists and vegans - but never bother to think why their druids would turn into cats or hunting has such a strong identity with them. Some of the classic quests had you hunting animals for food and furs adn the thrill of the kill - though not in a wasteful sense, you did it for a purpose, but enjoyed the kill - not very pacifist or treehugger vegan.

I just felt the Thalassian elf ranger identity was more powerful - we have Alleria, Sylvanas, Vereesa, all famous characters as rangers, Lor’themar, Halduron Brightwing, the sunwell trilogy while focused on Anveena, has the majority of its Thalassian characters as rangers.

The blood elf starting zone too. Yes there is the magic thing there, but equally strong is the Farstrider enclave and then off course the blood knights who grow stronger later,

For my Mage: I chose a highborne. Night elf. I felt though teh darnassians had magecraft only recently return, the night elves had the oldest and most powerful portrayal of the arcane arts. Not only were they the founders of the study, they also took it to heights modern day mages are still searchingfor their scraps of lost knowledge. In the returned highborne shen’dralar you entered a legacy of magecraft that continued unbroken for 10,000 years, or you are trained by one of them. There is a large chunk of hte night elf lore and story that centres around the arcane. It actually doesn’t show up much in the game till Legion where you get the MOTHERLODE, cataclysm re-introduces it tot heplayer population.

For this reason while I do have a blood elf mage, several in fact, my night elf mage is the key. Now when the nightborne came out, I would have switched to one, but that involved a faction change, would have race changed if they were on the alliance, because while the nightborne mage legacy is very similar to the highborne one, being the same culture etc, the nightborne race are particularly tailored to this in appearance. Yes the highborne are relatively on par lore wise if not ahead, but their visual presentation is way behind. Suramar though a night elven city, is also nightborne and it is now visually representative of the nightborne specifically, the arcane runes are visually enticing and the visual presentation is powerful whereas for hte highborne you don’t see it, it is only descriptive as Dire Maul was never updated, and the highborne characters never given distinctive looks.

I ddin’t switch to nightborne though, opting instead to level a warlock as nightborne. However if I hadn’t alreayd had a high level night elf, I likely would have done warlock on the void elf, mage on the nightborne, priest on the night elf, and hunter on the blood elf.

For druid: Night elf male
For Paladin: Blood elf female (for non-elf it would be human) but i mostly play elves.
For Priest: Void elf male (non elf would be Draenei holy, night elf was 2nd choice)
For Warlock: Nightborne male (non elf would be Orc)
For Warrior: Night elf female (my sentinel character)
for Rogue: Blood elf (but i wanna switch that to void elf cos I feel it’s more ideal)
for DK : can’t decide: Blood elf has far better lore representation, so it will be my choice: non-elf would be human
Shaman; i have draenei, but if I could i would race change to Dark Iron - if on the horde I feel inclined to go orc, but Zandalari is probably what I’d settle on.
Monk: Blood elf (non elf would be Pandaren ofc)

Talking about Shamans yet not mentioning the Tauren? How?

4 Likes

Mage: Blood elf.
Blood elf.
Blood elf

ahem if it can be a blood elf?
Blood elf.

1 Like

I totally can not believe that you picked an elf for everything, except shaman, probably because you couldn’t. :scream_cat:

15 Likes

Give the guy a brake
One can’t simply turn away from the Elven kind!
Small steps, 12 point programe, five years plan…
A sudden race change could kill!
Elven withdrawal is a serious thing!

#TheMoreYouKnow

2 Likes

I’m a bit of an elf-aolic as well, but I’m only listing those which I do more/most time into.

Priest - I chose Nightborne Female. I just wanted to be play as ancient Elf who was deeply tied to ancient Grand Temple of Elune.
Hunter - I chose Night Elf Female. Shandris was my inspiration for this. Plus, being a Beast Mastery Hunter, out of all the elf races, fitted the Night Elves the best, for me.
Shaman - I chose a Mag’har Orc Male. I just really love Orc Shamans. I love the idea of the various clans and their times on Draenor and I just love Orcs in general.
Warlock - Blood Elf Female. Female Kael’thas really. Plus, I found Blood Elves really suited riding the Dreadsteed mount.
Mages (I have 2) - Night Elf Female. Love ancient Highborne lore & Blood Elf Female. I love Blood Elf/High Elf Mage lore.
Warrior - Night Elf Male. Jarod Shadowsong. Nuff said.
Demon Hunter - Blood Elf Female. As far as the Illidari lore goes, it just felt more connecting to play a Blood Elf Demon Hunter character in general.
You can RP your Demon Hunter on a wider scale as a Night Elf, but I like the Illidari and wanted to remain close to it.

1 Like

Well meant to write I would go orc over tauren, Thrall is a powerful shaman icon.

I really want this for nightborne priests. The pre sundering priesthood side hasn’t been shown much. The long vigil had the priesthood develop a stronger martial side. The sentinel order was created then.

It is possible that the ban on the arcane might have ebbed themkf most of their arsenal, unless their arcane spells drae from the moon and stars rather than the Well or Azeroth and thus not bnnable.

Blizzard really hasn’t shown much of the caster side of the priesthood, and that is its leadership, it’s like balance druids are the heart of night elven druidsm, but they have been the least expanded on in favour of cats and bears because they look cool, just like they avoided the coaster side of the Order of Elune, because Draenei priest thing was developed for the alliance, and night elves identity suffered as they were now not a faction of their own. Their priesthood underutilised cos dranei served that role, their mage raft was a slow dull return because humans and gnomes carried that for the alliance, and once worgen came, their hunters weren’t going to shine either.

This is despite the lore giving them strong versions of all these classes, the only thing the lore didnt have another race prominent in was druidsm, so this is where all the night elf appearances were funnelled too, given the deceptive impression that all they were were druids …which some people still think.

Legion didnt use its chance to show us the priesthood in its pre sundering glory, they are the heart of why the night elves became what they are and the height the civilization reached is as much due to its magecraft as its priesthood.

I really want the nightborne to encapsulate that, I think we have a higher chance of seeing it with them, though I feel the kaldorei should be included somehow.

I’m sure if Elune commands it, it wouldnt matter if nightborne are on the horde or not, Tyrande would respond, and I think it’s high time elves stopped being defined by the faction division. Horde and alliance are a human and orc thing.

It depends on how you view it.

Personally, I don’t RP my character as a Priestess anymore. She’s a Scholar who uses a combination of arcane and lunar spells to deal her blows.

She can still protect her allies with a barrier every now and then, but it is straining.

Well here, I think it did in some ways. We got to see the inside of the Grand Temple of Elune as well as other Temples, such as the Temple of Fal’adora, which gave us another angle on Elune’s Temples and how they weren’t all constructed in the same way, with the same layout as per we see in Darnassus, Isildien and others.

It likely would, but I’m not holding my breath for that in 8.2

They’ve said that the faction conflict will still be prevalent and that Azshara will have a role in it.
If anything, Kaldorei and Shal’dorei, much like Sin’dorei and Ren’dorei, will still have very high tensions.

They are the heart and sole of this MMORPG.

Without them, we might as well transfer over to the Warcraft 3 style of game.

1 Like

My choices:

Warrior: Orc (both genders), no race embodies the Warrior more in my eyes. And Orcs look just great in plate.

Hunter: Tauen male, i think it fits their culture and Aesthetic.

Druid: Nightelf female, World of Warcraft classic cinematic. Case closed. (was my first character ever.)

Paladin: Bloodelf (loved the Bloodknight theme) and Darkiron because they look good and i like the more unconventional approach.

Priest: Draenei or Nightelf

Warlock: Orc because its the classic, and because Man’ari Eredar are not playable…

Rogue: Mine is a bloodelf, but i would play a human if i were not Horde :stuck_out_tongue:

Deathknight: Human or Bloodelf female.

Shaman: Troll (Darkspear or Zandalari). Looks good and fits their Theme and Aesthetic.

Monk: Pandaren (second place is Troll, i like the Idea of a darkspear troll beating you up with his Capoeira dance :slight_smile: )

Mage: Draenei. They look great in robes and are the oldest known practitioners of magic among the mortal races. (Nightelves, Nightborn and Bloodelves come close behind, because of mostly the same reasons)

2 Likes

Lol Kalibas, “I pick races based on lore”

For monk he picks blood elf. Hahahahahahahah :rofl:. Who do you want to fool? xD

I’m not really altoholic, Got this shaman since WotlK, priestess and soon Zandalari prelate. On Alliance I have pandaren rogue.

4 Likes

For a monk, I’d certainly pick Pandaren as a first choice.

My second choice, surprisingly would be Draenei - this mainly relates to Auchindoun and how we saw those Auchindoun Monks, who served more as dark warrior-priests, than actual monks.

Elf monks feels very out-of-place for me. I certainly wouldn’t play one.

In terms of lore:

• Warrior: Dwarf, Orc, Tauren. At least if we adhere to the idea that Warriors are these unstoppable war machines.
  • Paladin: Humans, Draenei. If we take non-“Paladins” into account (so those who are holy warriors but aren’t exactly paladins), I’d say the Zandalari Prelates should be included as well.
  • Hunter: Tauren, because of their history with the hunt. Also Dwarves and Blood Elves. But I believe that this class fits with almost all races.
  • Rogue: Night Elves (best Sentinel-esque class), Worgen (although they shouldn’t fight with weapons), Undead, Tauren.
  • Priest: Human, Night Elves, Draenei.
  • Shaman: Orcs, Tauren, WILDHAMMER Dwarves.
  • Mage: Humans, Gnomes, all Elves.
  • Warlock: Orcs, Undead, Trolls, Worgen have that Warlock-feeling as well.
  • Monk: Panda’s.
  • Druid: Night Elves, and Tauren.
  • Death Knight: I have no idea. I guess Forsaken and Humans? But all races fit.

My personal preferences:

• Warrior: Orc, Tauren.
  • Paladin: Human, Zandalari and… no that’s it.
  • Hunter: Tauren, Blood Elf, Night Elf, Zandalari, basically all classes because I like this class a lot.
  • Rogue: Orcs, Forsaken.
  • Priest: Tauren, Humans.
  • Shaman: Tauren, Orcs.
  • Mage: Blood Elf and Night Elf.
  • Warlock: Forsaken, Orcs.
  • Monk: Panda’s.
  • Druid: NE’s and Tauren.
  • DK: idc, I have a DK Blood Elf, so I’ll go with that.
5 Likes

Here is my pick on Lore class/race combos:

Warrior:
-Orc (because all orcs are basically the warrior nation),
-Tauren (because of their iconic totem warriors carrying enormous logs and possesive of enormous brute strenght),
-Trolls (for their ferocius and vicious headhunters and berserkers, agile warriors that have warpaint on face and enormous mohawks that leap into the battle and go directly for the throat)

for Alliance:
-Dwarf -Because for being smaller than humans they were stronger and they have much better techiniques and discipline (Arthas was being trained by Muradin for that reason), not only that they’re perfect weaponsmiths and their iconic Avatar ability.
-Nelves because of sentinels
-Humans have soldiers, regular footmen and calvary.

Paladin
Alliance: Humans because of Knight of the Silver hand, Uther and such.
Draneei: Because of Vindicators
(Personally I’d pick Dark Iron dward for Alliance because I like their aesthetics the most on Alliance)
Horde:
-Zandalari , because they’re the imperial holy warriors and true zealots that follow what their gods demands. That is fantastic fantasy setting which is unique and separate from Alliance theme and yet lives up to everything holy warrior is known from.

(I love the idea of Sunwalkers but they’re not implemented well, and blood knights are too big inconsistent mess to be enjoyable for me)

Hunter
-Tauren - because their entire lifestyle is based over it, they’re nomadic people that roam the land, hunt and live off leatherworking and cultivating the land and creatures that lives there around their needs.
Highmountain had a hero of Huln Highmountain, and Skyhorn tribe that is quite amazing.

-Orcs - for Frostwolves and Thunderlod. Frostwolves live with their animals and have a very strong bond with them. Thier wolves are assisting them not just during the hunt but in other life routines. Thunderlonds hunt down slay and capture enormous gronn creatues. If that doesn’t look impressive for a hunter I don’t know what would.

-Trolls (both DS, and Zandies) - the ultimate beast masters, born predators, Their reptilian allies are incredibly entwined with their culture, not to mention they are also deadly marksmen - DS even have racial for bow.

For Alliance:
-Dwarves for mountaniers and Hemmet Nersingway
-Nelves for bowman trope.

(I excluded belves as I belive that marksman is just one specc that they’re known from, and hunter is something more than that. And I also hate Legolas trope)

Rogue
I like my pandaren rogue a lot because of whole Shado-Pan theme.

Horde:
-Orcs (Garona, Shattered hand clan)
-Forsaken - for their deathstalkers? And Lillian Voss.
-Belves (Valeera and the likes, like that Twilight Hammer assaisn)
-Darkspears (Their shadow hunters are masters of stealth and scouting)

Alliance:
-Nelves - masters of stealth
-humans - because of pirates
-gnomes - they might not have any big lore, but such a tiny creatures should be excellent for scouting and sneaking around.

Priest - this is a very tricky class as many races have very different religions or concepts behind them, like Mag’har orcs actually being Shadowmoon clan who are more like void students. So I don’t think you can pick wrong there. Besides goblins, gnomes and NB priest as I don’t know what is their background, I thought that they stopped worshipping Elune.

We have traditional Light worshippers in Humans, Draenei, Dwarves, Belves.
We have Loa Priests in trolls.
We have Elune priests in nelves.
We have An’she followers in Tauren.
We have void scholars in Mag’har orcs and velves.
We have cult of forgotten shadow with ud.
We have Celestial priests with pandaren.

Any of above is valid imo.

Shaman
-Orcs - because shamanism is as integral for their culture as fighting.
-Tauren- they even live in totems, highly spiritual people that live in tune with nature and practice shamanism for a very long time.
-Trolls - with their voodoo spin. Spiritually oriented, they are known from various tribal rites and rituals, they get powers from their Loa, but they also had their share in dealing with elementals. Darkspears helped to create Earthen Ring and have one of the most potent shamans nowadays. And Zandalari showed their skill in commanding elemental powers in Throne of Thunder. Wavebinders, Storm callers and such.

Alliance:
-Dwarves, Wildshammer for more traditional approach, and Dark Iron for dark shamanism twist and half-elemental look.

Pandaren- for their balance seeking path and very close bond with lesser elemental spirits.

Mage
Horde:
Belves and shelves
Zandalari - because they predate elves, and they are scholar society and they have established lore (and this would be my pick since elves are too mainstream).
Undead (because raised Dalaran sorcerers)

Pandaren - because they have established scholar society and they also have their own caste of mages.

Alliance:
humans, Dark Irons (the entire clan is known from sorcery), gnomes and nelves to small degree.

Warlock
-Orcs, because they were first known warlocks.
-Belves (but now I’m not so sure after so many retcons? In early TBC that was their thing)
-Forsaken (Because I love Tehd Shoemaker)
-DS Trolls, but only for Affliction/Destruction tree, demons aren’t troll stuff, but curses and dark/shadow magic is.

Alliance:
-Gnomes - as there are lots of instances where they’re summoning demons, one even summoned eredar Lord Jaraxxuss.
-Dark Irons - they have knack for Dark Magics.

Monk

Pandaren is the ultimate monk. But there are few instances where there are other monks or martial artist included.
-Scarlet monastery had human monks
-Darkspears practice cappoeira
-Orcs have blademasters
-Auchenai had monks too, and also that fanon made to canon so Jed’in Jehdin? You know what I mean.

Druid: Night Elves and Tauren are the ultimate druids as they also embrace the “sage”/forestkeeper thing. But I think trolls are close second due to their Loa worship and shapeshifting abilities, which frankly they use mostly for combat purposes. Darkspears learned how to channel power from emerald dream to mend environmeant as we saw in Pandaren Scenario, but Trolls aren’t kind of people to change environment for their liking but adapt to it.

DK
-Orcs for Ner’zhul and Theron Gorefiend who were first Dks (and that is my choice for dk as I like orc animations a lot)
-Humans - because of of Arthas and Lordaeron.
-Forsaken -like above, just more rotten appearance.
-Belves - for San’lyn thing.

6 Likes

Blood Elf DK’s have always confused me somewhat.

I get the San’layn thing, but are Blood Elf DK’s actually “Blood Elf” DK’s or are they technically High Elves still?

Sylvanas isn’t referred to as an undead blood elf.

1 Like

The San’layn were raised from the elves fallen in service to Kael’thas, during Illidan’s attack on Icecrown. They are blood elves.

Thalassian Death knights can be both, I suppose, depending on the time of their fall. Koltira was a high elf when he died.

1 Like

Well that’s what I said a few years ago, but blood elf fans told me that such was impossible because the elf’s corpse wouldn’t stay “fresh” shall we say, between the events of Quel’Thalas and the start of WoTLK.

Koltira is the proof we need. Thanks for providing such.

I’d still personally role either a Human or Forsaken Death Knight. Have much more concrete and indeed, interesting lore.

1 Like

It is said Hell is paved with good intentions …

Here is my story as Horde only player.

What I had in mind, when I came back during Legion launch initially, was level one and only one race/gender for each class, no repetitions, all (almost) based on lore and viability:

Vanilla account

• Troll female Hunter level 76: my first character, I have 120 days played on her.
    A fierce hunter, capable of killing anyone just by looking at it.
    Trolls are natural Hunters.
  • Orc male Warrior level 66: my alt during vanilla, used it to play low levels Bg’s.
    Honorable and fierce, capable of compassion, based on Thrall ways of life.
    Horde history is full of legendary warriors.
  • Forsaken female level 71 Priest: my main during TBC.
    I wanted a more “human look” priest, I have had enough of Troll foots by that time on my Hunter…
    Had to RP hard mode, since I am not comfortable, with Forsaken lore.
    A girl that was killed along her parents, when Arthas burned Lordaeron, resurrect to serve Sylvanas, but too weak, both mentally and physically.
    A failed experiment turned in to a Holy priest in the hopes by her magistrate, she will just disappear, burnt by the repeatably use of light power.
  • Blood Elf female Paladin level 86: probably my 5th character created, there was a female Troll shaman, but I erased her.
    Blood Elfs were the first race to bring the paladin class to the Horde.
    When I picked her during MoP and WoD free trial I could not stop levelling her …
  • Blood Elf male Demon Hunter level 100 - The entire Legion expansion emphasis on Demon Hunters and Illidan lore.
  • Male Forsaken Warlock level 11: evil character, consider Sylvanas a foul for wasting a golden opportunity to serve the greatest master there is in the Universe: Sargeras.
    I could never play him beyond level 11, headaches start each time I do it …
  • Tauren male Death Knight level 59: this wasn’t lore specif, to be honest, it had more to do with their racial being good with Tank spec.
  • Orc female shaman level 2: Thrall is a powerful shaman and I love his character, but the male avatar was already used on the Warrior class.
  • Pandaren female Monk level 5: Monks were first introduced by the Pandaren in MoP.
    Females are more elegant than males.
  • Goblin male Rogue level 18: Goblins love money and they are shrewd, just the perfect race lore wise to be a self serving rogue.
    Love his animations, when he is receiving a quest, everything on him tells:
    “What’s for me on that deal ?”.
  • Tauren female Druid level 1: Tauren were the first ones to introduce Druids on the Horde and Druids heal, so the perfect task for a female Tauren.

That was the plan …

Unfortunately I am currently working abroad and I started a new account (this one).
One that I had a different approach, one character as main.
I liked Blood Elfs and the ranger fantasy, so I chose a female Blood Elf Hunter.
Levelled her during Legion invasions to the max level allowed 100 and another character with the remaining time, a female human warrior, since warriors are my second favourite class and I had never played a Alliance high level character.
Human lore is full of legendary Warriors.

Bought Legion during my holidays and got a level 100 boost on my vanilla account, which I immediately used for …

… another Blood Elf female Hunter … which I levelled up 110.
Leveled a second character which was …
… another Blood Elf female … monk this time …
Unfortunately in this case the Hong Kong cop movies from the 80’s played a major role …

BfA came and I was working abroad, bought BfA and Legion to this account.
Back to my level 100 Blood Elf female Hunter, I noticed unfortunately that Draenor server was a bit chaotic. Way too many people.

Back to my original server again I used the level 110 boost on this character.

My lesson: being integrated with the Lore is wonderful, but if you can’t pick that character and feel joy playing it … it is … useless …
Transmog and looks is unfortunately more important than being accordingly to the lore.
Maybe i just spent too much time playing Cabal online after quitting WoW in June 2007 and got addicted to the Korean designs.
All slender and agile whether it’s a male or a female.

In Cabal online you have two factions at war, but there is no good/evil, just two sides who have different ways of seeing the world, maybe that’s why I have a hard time with BfA.

Thanks for your attention.
Cheers.

3 Likes

No Kaldorei Mages ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Who?

(10 chars)

Their civ was one of the strongest Magical driven civilisation and now Highborne returned to NE society .