The Real-Money Diablo 3 Auction House

Was that reply to me?

The problem is in the WoW token,it was the doorway to get rid of gold sellers,probably cause people reported them non stop and you need alot of work hours around that,they got greedy.But in a nut shell it opened the second door for p2w systems in the game you are buying gear for real life money no matter if its raids,m+,leveling,pvp.All side effects of WoW token being implemented in the game.

3 Likes

Boosting is here since vanilla… How soon it will be on this last stage from which recovery isn’t possible? Will this happen before of after wow is dead?

There are no victims, boosting has been an integral part of mmo from the start. Nothing to do with the token.

Say it 6 more times and it will magically become true.

Boosts existed long before the gold token.

People have been buying access to items or achievements long before the token became a thing.

People also used to buy gold from third party sites, this just cleaned it up and stopped compromising accounts. We now have a play for free system thanks to the token.

1 Like

Yes but it was not mainstreamed as it is with Tokens,not to mention the mess of burner accounts and the behind door monster called multiboxin.

Did it really?If someones account got compromised and Blizz had the policy “who cares,it was your own fault” guess what,off to buying the second account and start over.
Yes now we have on top of sub based,buy expansion,store/cash shop also microtransactions in the form of WoW Token.So Blizzard is tripel dipping and some.
Meanwhile the GM service lost in quality and response time.And there is no clear order to the game + the shear lack of communication.

1 Like

But who is forcing you to buy tokens? Heck you can even pay your sub with ingame gold. (And even you can buy expansions with ingame gold)

3 Likes

And that is better than the money going to shady third party people. :man_shrugging:

Totally unrelated. :roll_eyes:

Again, the money isn’t going to shady third parties.

Again unrelated to tokens. Multiboxing, much like boost selling, existed long before tokens did.

actually, it didn’t do anything to help as i will explain:

Buy from a shady site and get scammed or banned and you will learn from your mistake.

Buy from Blizzard, you will not learn anything and continue to destroy the game in a “safe” environment, people will get addicted to buying gold and it will likely ruin their life, they will probably even use it to pay for those gold rolling services people are selling “for gold so its ok”.

1 Like

The p2w and gold income from multiboxin are tight related with the wow token that is one of the biggest selling points.The problem is you cherry picking comments in order to hold any ground with your main argument “unrelated”,and the sad part is your come back to this post is going to be “proof”.It’s like you are going off some script with some of the posters.

2 Likes

The repeatable factor is what increased boosting. They changed the way lockouts work for raids so that you can endlessly do Normal and Heroic. Mythic plus was introduced which you can do endlessly bar the 10 instance lock.

Yes it really did clean up the number of compromised accounts. Yes people get their compromised accounts back when they can prove they are the owner and their account has been hacked, the account is usually rolled back to the last point you used them. So items/gear/gold etc you had are restored.

The turnaround time on tickets is very long at present. This has nothing to do with gold tokens.

1 Like

The only real way to “fix” this would be to remove wow tokens. Not to worry, you could still buy all of these things with real money, but now you would just have to use illegitimate channels to buy gold from.

Or just forbid people from selling items/services completely, which seems like a massive mistake.

It stopped accounts being compromised, it stopped the bulk of people wanting to go to a third party dodgy site for gold and it stopped a lot of gold farming because there is a very small market for that now.

So it all actually worked.

Whut?
Look… they ARE unrelated. Of course they CAN be related, if a player chooses so, but man…

It’s like saying for instance… ‘Football is related to making money’. No it isn’t. For some people it can be, yes, but that’s not a ‘baseline’ relation.

But yeah, it all depends on the player themselves.
If I think to myself; man, I need some more gold, I do NOT then think ‘oh I’ll go buy a token’. No, I plan some ingame activities that I know reward/generate gold.

That’s debatable and there are many factors that go into it. First of all, those “dodgy” third party websites aren’t that dodgy anymore. It’s not longer something a couple of guys set up in their basement, but legal companies which built a reputation over the years and want to maintain. Also the people who used these companies prior to wow token are still probably using them right now cause they have all sort loyalty programs and discounts for repeat purchases.

While it’s undeniable that many who used 3rd party are now buying tokens, also a lot more people who had no interest in buying gold started now because of the token. Also like you said there is a lot more to do with gold now, basically you can buy everything so demand increased, but as i mentioned for some items, like N’zoth mythic boost the tokens aren’t enough and people still have to go 3rd party.

So your claims there are very questionable, especially regarding gold farming, which by all indication it’s at its best right now.

1 Like

They were operating in a game against the terms of service. Legality isn’t really a factor. Selling Gold for IRL money is a permanent account ban, no matter how well established your organisation is. You will have to set up a new account and start over.

This was my counter-argument for the “dodgy” websites that compromised your account. I know that buying gold for real money can get your account banned but there is a huge difference when it comes to trust and security between dealing with a random guy who promises you gold if you send money to his paypal and buying from basically Amazon.

When a site would use the information they gained when people bought gold to later hack the accounts of buyers. But then again you are using a service from a dodgy third party site that is operating against the rules of the game you are playing.

Accounts are compromised a lot less now, the proof speaks for itself. Selling gold tokens increased account security.

Yeah they probably are, but attributing that to the WoW token is called “the single cause fallacy”. Again, a company with a reputation to uphold won’t hack your account after you buy from them because they aren’t as dodgy as they used to be. I don’t wanna sound like i’m advocating for these websites but the WoW token isn’t the silver bullet you think it is.

edit: also why don’t we talk about the fact that we all have authenticators on our phones now, fairly sure that did a lot more for account security than the WoW token

what tokens did, is the increased demand for gold.
Many people boost to buy games or game time. Others boost to buy expensive BiS BoEs

So actually the best way to reduce boosts would be to actually invalidate gold pretty much.
I remember in other expansions gold were almost useless because pretty much everything was BoP and buying game time didn’t exist. So people didn’t really need all that much gold which in effect reduced the boosting community to a very small part.

In classic gold was still very valuable because it was (at that time) hard to come buy and getting epic mount was hard. Also we had many BoEs but that changed with TBC as far as I remember.

Boosts (and also multiboxers) were on the rise with the implementation of the token.
So it definitely has a big influence on boosting.

And yes it is partly pay to win or better to say, pay to quicker gearing. You don’t HAVE TO pay to “win” but paying makes it quicker and easier if you don’t have the time nor the community to do high end game stuff.

Pushing the ilvl to +15 increased the demand for boosts I imagine, because it is much harder to get 15s every week than it was to faceroll +10s
Not by the difficulty of the dungeon but rather the difficulty and time investment to push you key to 15s given the fails of pugs between 10s and 15s.

I easily time a 14 but pushing my key to 14 is a really daunting task for example