Hello everyone. I kept this idea of a topic on my tongue for quite some time now, and decided to let it lose for good. I stitched some clues together Pyromancer style, put my tinfoil-hat on and came to an conclusion.
Our favorite character most players love to hate on, or actually love(If they are Forsaken fans). Sylvanas Windrunner. Wherever you might stand on her, she has done alot controversial actions in the past years, that kept her from being redemable step by step. But. The teached eye might have noticed, that if you know all of her background story, you could might say, that Sylvanas is acting heavily out of character despite her portrayal from the past. The Burning of Teldrassil, the use of Valkyr to raise more undead, her being scared of returning to the afterlife, seeing undead as superior life form, instead of torment.
Those are the major hints for me, that something is not quite right about her characterization. I learned about her as someone, who is not acting irrational or out of rage. Rather being an very evil, but cold blooded and rational, fighter who schemes behind the scenes to archieve victory. Teldrassil made her look like a random Orc Warlord. So? What are the main points to look at in making my point? Let’s make a quick check-list.
- Dying Delryan Summermoon talking to Sylvanas about hatred and rage at Teldrassil.
- Sylvanas meeting with the Val’kyr and suddenly, after impaled by Saronite spikes, seeing undeath as something positive(Nothing to do with her quest for immortality, that’s an entire different topic).
- Sylvanas attacking the sworn enemies of old gods, the titanic watchers, for personal reasons at first sight in Stormheim(Odyn and Valarjar).
- Sylvanas making a pact with a being from the shadowlands(Helya) with so far unknown requirments to the eyes of the PCs.
- Sylvanas, who used to hate being a monster and hated everything the Scourge represented, not only the Lich King but also all the mindcontrol stuff, admitting to Garrosh how similar they are in Silverpine forest.
- Sylvanas in the PTR talking about the coming “Endgame”, to focus on.
- still no clear fix of the situation free will vs mind control(Cornerstone of Forsaken society etc. etc. you get the deal).
These are just the biggest major breaks of Sylvanas and “Sylvanas” when you try to lay those two personalities next to each other.
So what happened to her? Is it just the fear of dying the ultimate death and stranding in shadowlands hell forever, or is there more behind it? Well here comes the reveal. The Sylvanas we met once Cataclysm started, stopped being the Sylvanas we knew from Warcraft 3, when she died her second time. Well. Now she is what exactly? If you look closely at the event of states and compare it to Sylvanas’ current characterization and quotes you might find some similarities.
- Trust is your weakness.
- Hope is an illusion.
- There is no escape. Not in this life, not in the next.
- Kill them all before they kill you.
- Look upon the true face of death, and know that your end comes soon!
You thought this is from Sylvanas? Well no, these are quotes from either none other than Yogg-Saron in both his true form and his avatar form “Sara” who oddly enough is female too. And that my dear friends is what happened here too. Yogg-Saron now uses Sylvanas’ physical body as vessel/avatar. Until he is actually strong enough(by killing as many people as possible via war) to return in his full glory, as an actual old god. For the purpose of fightning against his Nemesis N’zoth. Which is the true battle for Azeroth. Our planet used as battlegound N’zoth vs Yogg-Saron and all their minions. An ultimate plot twist, good and big enough to subvert expectations that nobody saw coming. Like, I know it sounds odd and crazy, BUT remember also this quote:
“Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh’ongg w’ssh.”
“The shadow of my corpse will choke this land for all eternity.”
he said this, when he is defeated in the raid. That was it which gave it away for me, to come up with this theory. Sylvanas = Yogg-Saron. Nathanos MIGHT know about it and aids “Sylvanas” regardless to prevent any harm coming to her(Yoggi threatened her soul with suffering if he should step out of line).
So that’s it. It took me some time to piece it together but I think it was worth it. What do you guys think?