The Silver Covenant are really dumb

They literally sided with the side that was racist towards them and basically allowed their people to go extinct, I mean I know the whole feasting on fel magic thing was a total betrayal to the high elves and now blood elves, but common man, at least they should’ve chosen to be neutral rather than to be so staunchly anti-horde (which does make sense story-wise but they even hate the blood elves as well) at least in my mind
I’m doing the nightborne questline rn and got to the part where I have to talk to Vereesa Windrunner and her lines pissed me off (I’m a horde blood elf)

2 Likes

Well, apart from betraying them with the fel magic, you also sided with Trolls who were your enemies since forever and also with the orcs who attacked your lands in the Burning of Quel’thalas. So i think they have a reason to be pretty pissed off since you just decided to forgive your two most hated enemies (apart from the scourge) and be friends with them just because some human captain was a dick to you (Garithos).

7 Likes

Well no, the Thalassians who were exiled for refusing the Fel settled in Quel’lithen lodge. The ones who form the Silver Covenant are the ones who turned their back on Quel’thalas, in it’s hour of need and did nothing to help their king during the whole Dalaran situation. Sylvanas helped the Blood Elves reclaim and secure the Ghostlands and got them admitted into the Horde, with the premise it’s going to help them reach Outland and Kael’thas, which it did.

Vereesa’s own animosity is over Ronin’s death in Theramore, where he wouldn’t have even been, if he followed his own damn rules.

1 Like

Numerous Lore sources like Ultimate Visual Guide Enhance and Expanded from 2016, World of Warcraft Chronicle and new Sylvanas book already touched on that topic giving us greater insight.

Initially Thalassian Population was limited to Silvermoon and Quel’danas. It’s total number was very similar to what Blood Elves have now. Much of today’s Eversong was Amani Empire back then. Elves created Farstriders led by Talanas Windrunner to scout those lands.

During Troll wars Elves extended offer to Humans. In exchange for military support Elves would teach Humans how to wield magic. The deal was fulfilled by creating magical City of Dalaran.

In the mean time Quel’thalas expanded rapidly after defeating Trolls and it’s population exploded tenfold. Take note it all happened during Anasterian’s reign. Meaning that for like 5 thousand years . Thalassian Elves lived in much smaller space and in numbers very similar to current Blood Elf population.

At Dalaran which was mostly Human populated, also lived a sizeable Thalassian minority. Although De Iure they were still owing fealty to Anasterian, truth is that De Facto they were pretty much independent society. Some of them of course harbored loyalty to Quel’thalas but still called Dalaran their home.

Some Elves that were born in the Magical City didn’t even know Quel’thalas at all and had little connection to it aside from pure Ethnic reasons. They were members of the Kirin Tor and by extention the Alliance. This was their heart.

So when Third War ravaged Quel’thalas and Kael’thas rushed to his homeland, he banded together the survivors and of course took as many Dalaran Elves with him as he could. He although born in Silvermoon was also more connected with the Human magical city.

When Arthas and Kel’thuzad attacked the city and murdered most of the Council of Six, Kirin Tor became leaderless and the vacuum was quickly filled by Othmar Garithos, and he remained in power until Mages regrouped and reformed themselves.

When Kael’thas took Naga offer and was accused of treason because of that, Thalassian minority from Kirin Tor splintered into two. Some were loyalists that followed him to Outland, became part of the Sunfury and later reformed as Sunreavers when the Prince has fallen.

The other group remained loyal to the Alliance because this was the only home they associated themselves with. But not all that abandonned Kael’thas were very happy with the fact that Kirin Tor stood idle as their kin was sentenced to death.

And so the Alliance Elves splintered into another group under Grand Magus Telestra who harbored great grudge against Kirin Tor, plotting it’s demise and joining with Malygos when he rendered Dalaran to be razed.

Sunreavers on the other hand were stuck in Quel’thalas but didn’t feel at home and decided to return to Dalaran and represent High Kingdom and the Horde by extention there.

They were opposed by the Silver Covenant that quickly formed itself in order to thwart Blood Elf actions. But new Council of Six preferred to have good terms with Quel’thalas rather than listen to meaningless 1/3 of the original Thalassian minority. But didn’t stop them from making Blood Elf life miserable.

And so although Sunreavers are Blood Elves just like citizens of Silvermoon, they primarly call Dalaran their home, harbor loyalty for the High Kingdom but prefer not to live in it.

Which makes Purge of Dalaran even more disturbing because it was in truth. Thalassian minority turning on it’s own. Silver Covenant High Elves began hunting down Sunreavers who once formed one society. Neighbours attacked neighbours, people that knew each other slaughtered their own kin.

Vereesa Windrunner who is the leader of Silver Covenant is so very anti Blood Elf because she too lost connection to her homeland due to various reasons. The main one is that she had to raise Arator. Son of Alleria. But she couldn’t do it in Quel’thalas because Elves shunned him for his mixed blood.

Dalaran was the place of most common interracial Human/Elf intercourse mingling and thus sported some of the hybrids before, so it was the best place to keep Arator at. Also after Lirath Windrunner’s death she lost connection with her Sister Sylvanas and preferred to stay away from her.

To put it short Silver Covenant is formed for High Elves that have no connection to Quel’thalas. Never had it in the first place or lost it along the way. They are devoted to the Alliance because this is the enviroment they are accustomed to.

During their lifetime they made more friends among Humans, Gnomes etc. than with their own people from Silvermoon that also tended to look upon them with distain. In Sylvanas book we learn that High Elves from Quel’thalas were very sophisticated people who viewed any elf living outside of the High Kingdom as freaks.

That alone didn’t help to mend the differences. Not to mention that now Blood Elves from Silvermoon do not give a toss about Silver Covenant as it is beneath their concern. Most of the damage that Vereesa did to her own people was directed toward Sunreavers and not the main Thalassian host from Silvermoon.

The only conflict they truly had was on the Isle of Thunder where Silver Covenant didn’t just fight Sunreavers but also the regular Blood Elven troops. And that was the moment when they truly sealed their fate as eternal traitors.

4 Likes

I dunno i don’t think you can technically be a traitor to a society you never sworn an oath to in the first place as far as the yongest windrunner is concerned the blood elves are traitors who sided with the people who killed her brother and tried to wipe out her people if not for the plot shield gul’dan would have wiped out the elves in according to the pact the horde had struck with the trolls

besides it was not like it the blood elves choice to even join the horde was theirs they basically blackmailed by Sylvanas into joining if the regent lord had declined she would have pulled out her troops and leave them to their fate

2 Likes

The rough thing is that you’ve got Elves who were around before the founding of Dalaran and everything inbetween so there is a fair degree of variability. They’d still all be subjects of Quel’thalas, even if only by a matter of technicality. These High Elves have turned their back on Quel’thalas and doubled down, when Kael’thas was sentenced to die, but then got their feefees hurt, when Quel’thalas found the help it direly needed in a less preferrable place?

Sylvanas wouldn’t have lent her forces to begin with, if Lor’themar refused her offer.

2 Likes

Never seen so much revisionism. Blood elves had a duty to fight the one who had destroyed their homeland just like Kael did with Illidans forces. They had no excuse to stay away from the fight against the scourge. And Vereesa lost her right to complain during the purge of Dalaran. Say what you want about the Horde but they actually stick to their allies. If Zul’jin had helped in Lordaeron Doomhammer had never abadoned the attack on Quel’thalas.

1 Like

but then you wouldn’t be posting on a blood elf because you’d be dead Erevien think Ervien think the goal of the assault on Quel’talas was to slaughter everyone it failed because of the plot shield but it had in been successful you’d be posting on a high elf or a orc now :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Make no mistake. I care not about the Forsaken and Orcs. Elves and trolls are my stick. And the new expansion is bland without flavor. I want nothing but good things for my fav races. For Trolls it is their lands back. For Nightborne and blood elves it is getting Kael and Elisande back.

you’d get redeemed keal back and he’d be as bland as the regent lord :stuck_out_tongue:

Bob is an idiot and a traitor. He has done nothing for Quel’thalas and is basically just a randomg guy with a bow.

1 Like

but he was your beloved waifu’s 2nd in command :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t blame the character so much as the writing but it would have been wondrous if he never forgave Jaina for what she did to his people during the Purge of Dalaran.

he should direct his hatred toward Aethas then who abandoned his duty to the six and become a traitor Dalaran all because some agents of garrosh told him some fantasy how they would attack quel’thalas if he didnt

the first horde could not crack silvermoon and with the shield restored good luck to garrosh failscream

No, Jaina is responsible for that. She chose to allow Alliance troops to assault the Horde from Theramore under her supposedly ‘neutral’ leadership. Such an act contributed to the escalation of the war and she lashed out and targeted the blood elves living in Dalaran for genocide despite the race’s history of being targeted for genocide through no fault of their own.

Even if Aethas were the problem, that doesn’t account for the countless civilians who were dragged from their homes with no explanation and then cut down for daring to defend their homes.

3 Likes

He hasn’t earned that title. ANd with only one eye left his ability to fight is now limited.

1 Like

It was Garithos and his guards that did that, not all humans

Stormwind humans loved the high elves and even built a statue of Alleria Windrunner in Stormwind. There are also High elves living in stormwind to this very day. One of them is named the best tracker in stormwind who can sense stealthed enemies, and the other is a mage trainer in the Mage quarter. Teaching young Mages since 2004. There are also two extra high elf NPC’s added in legion, showing a tour of Stormwind to the new void elf race.

In the case of the Silver covenant, it’s lead by a Elf (Vereesa windrunner) who is married to a Dalaran human, saw her entire family wiped out by the Horde during the second war ( her parents were killed by Amani trolls, and 18 of her family members including her brother was killed by orcs that raided her village) and her blood elf cousin tried to murder her children. Now to put the icing on the cake, her husband died during the Bombing of theramore.

In Vereesa’s eyes, the horde killed every family she ever knew. Alleria also shares that thought.

Sylvanas had no choice but to join the horde, given she was a undead at the time. But even she eventually betrayed it saying “the horde is nothing”

I understand the hatred the Silver covenant has for the blood elves is rather laughable at times, but Vereesa has her reasons. And the reasons keep increasing with time.

The fact she was able to trust the horde again (at least baby steps) in legion, was a miracle.

Vereesa is now neutral, but alliance leaning. While Alleria is the one who is full alliance mode.

2 Likes

Lol she made herself ranger General. The arrogance she had surpasses even Elisande. I can’t wait to put a blade through her black heart.

The Silver Covenant were a faction of Alliance aggressors for no reason, other than their hatred towards Blood Elves.

When the Purge happened, it is noted that the Silver Covenant took the chance to join the blood shed. As far as I’m concerned, they are an extremist group within the Alliance and I hate them…but you know something - they are part of a group within the whole of WoW that can drive a narrative, in the correct setting.
Their core is “Alliance vs Horde.” That is how they were brought in. They could have been brilliant to use during the Fourth War - especially in the locations where the Sin’dorei held a presence.

EDIT: I was so anti-SC back in the days of MoP; but in a red vs blue setting, they are part of the juice that (in the right location) drives the narrative.
With the new direction for WoW though and Blizzard not doing another Horde vs Alliance expansion, I don’t foresee the Silver Covenant making a come back. The only presence we will see is through Vereesa, where she’s crying about Sylvanas and Blood Elves.

2 Likes

love the silver covenant, great bunch of lads

2 Likes