"The victims must not pursue justice" - a storyline by Blizzard

The Night Elves, the victims of genocide, painful deaths and torture in the maw are not allowed to seek justice against their abusers (The Horde and Sylvanas).
The story has done everything to make the whole war of thorns as horrific as possible, with children being burned alive, tortured for an eternity in the maw and then obliterated to empower the Jailer and Sylvanas.
They also had their zones and home taken away forever, and they are a PLAYABLE race. By writing such a story, Blizzard is actually striking against a part of the playerbase and essentially removing a race many people liked to play including its zones, cities and home.

Blizzard took away everything from the Night Elves and made them victims of countless atrocities while also denying them justice, to the point that they released a cinematic of their goddess telling them that they must move on and also that they must not seek justice.
Furthermore, their souls were also obliterated in the maw, so renewal isn’t even a viable choice, yet their quest for justice against their abusers was portrayed as wrong and “vengeance”.

Isn’t this quite ironic that such a storyline came out of Blizzard? Are we going to ignore this considering that Blizzard is now pretending to care by changing a few small things like paintings?
If they actually cared, they’d retcon this entire storyline and give the Night Elves, a matriarchial race, actual fair treatment after Legion instead of writing their complete downfall and endless suffering without any pay off at all.

27 Likes

The choice was “vengeance or renewal”, vengeance and justice are different things.

5 Likes

Yea, so when the victims of genocide and torture seek justice against their abusers, Blizzard calls it vengeance to make it seem like a bad thing.

And when they are about to achieve that said justice, their goddess withdraws her power and abandons Tyrande when she is about to kill Sylvanas.

2 Likes

Because her goddess knows that Sylvanas will save us all

1 Like

Seeking justice and seeking vengeance is the important point and difference here.

The whole Tyrande / Night Warrior arc is about Tyrande turning Illidan and seeking vengeance for her people, wanting to reply to injustice and violence with more of the same, which would just result in even more of the same. And endless vicious cycle. What Elune wanted ityrande to do is to break this cycle.

I don’t say the story was well writen, obviously a lot of people don’t get what it was / is all about. Just like people think Elune killed the night elves on purpose, which isn’t true either (it’s all about her not turning them into whisps as usually).

The souls also aren’t getting obliterated in the Maw, they are stuck there, and yes, some will be destroyed, like it’s a possibility for all souls that end up there, but we are all currently trying to fix that problem.

To retaliate a death with more death DOES NOT WORK. Look at our world and how wars between nations or gangs destroy families, just to go on for ever.

To abandon vengeance doesn’t equal abandoning justice. The story isn’t done yet, and we will have to wait to see where it goes from here.

2 Likes

Bringing their abuser to justice is not vengeance. It’s as simple as that, especially when that very person is still out there commiting atrocities.

I find it crazy that you defend a storyline that portrays the victims of genocide and torture as wrong for seeking justice against the very specific person that commited those atrocities against them.

Furthermore, their souls were mostly obliterated, only a small portion was saved.

4 Likes

You are still making that mistake. Justice =/= vengeance.

No they aren’t. The Maw Walker was only able to save a few yet. Most of them are still in the Maw like every other soul that has died since the machinery broke.

Yea. Bringing Sylvanas to justice is justice, not vengeance.

If you say any different there’s no way you’re not trolling.

And since we aren’t even trying to save them anymore, it means that they are already gone.

2 Likes

Is it only me who blames Elune for being so reckless? I understand that Blizz’s writing is garbage regarding this whole Shadowlands arc, but she SHOULD know something was wrong and why her little sister has 0 power coming in!

Also why would Elune nurture Sylvanas? Why would anyone try to save that beesh besides her pawn who’s thank everything that finally dead…

We are trying to fix the more fundamental problem; that souls are being sent into the Maw in the first place. Getting souls out of there is like sprinkling droplets of water on a forest fire.

What do you think would have happened if Tyrande would have simply killed Sylvanas and every Horde member that walked into her path by now? All night elves would be happy again and feel the deeds aganist them would be “brought to justice”? No. There would be a lot of them feeling unsatisfied because they couldn’t kill her themselves… and instead they would ask for more deaths. It would never be enough. As I said: a vicious cycle.

It doesn’t matter when close to the entire Night Elven race was obliterated in the maw already.

A glimpse of justice would have been achieved.

I’m sorry but that is the dumbest thing I have read today.

1 Like

She wouldn’t kill all of us… she would kill only the ones loyal to her, I think. As I heard Malfurion in the Darkshore short: he’s stating this “war” between the night elves and all who is loyal to that woman

That’s Malfurion. Tyrande was totally irrational.

And the surviving family members of those people would then start to kill night elves in turn, and those night elves would kill Horde in turn, and those Horde… I think you get my point.

As I said, I don’t think this arc is finished yet and I am curious to see how the story writers plan on fixing this problem. Maybe we will continue this discusion in 10.0, but for now I think its to early to get the pitch forks.

Irrational?

Trying to save the souls of her people from the maw, bringing Sylvanas to justice and the Horde that was actively blighting Darkshore and hunting down civilians is irrational in what way?

I feel like you’re just trolling lol, I can’t explain it in any other way

3 Likes

Sooo… Elune allowed night elves to die, to help her sisster? Oki… understand. I had hoped that Elune would make something more exciting out of the story . But this just reminds me more of the Game Of Thrones

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not like we, Champions of Azeroth would be doing exactly that since the game got released right? Right…

1 Like

Mhh Illidan isnt the same tbh. It wasnt vengeance that drove him. If the Legion would have killed Tyrande then yes, he would have gone for vengeance.

Welcome to Warcraft!

On the other hand: do you really think she’s innocent and she shouldn’t stand in front of all the other leaders? Do you really think she didn’t do a crime?

Jup. So they would all end up in Ardeanweald and produce anima like the good little milk cows we souls all are (I don’t like the concept of the shadowlands either) and help against the drought. :slight_smile: