Thoughts on Overwolf?

As did Rockstar. Steam. Other companies. Etc. It happens. Should it happen? F no. But you should get used to it as that will never stop.

That also happened with WoWHead in the past.

No. Would also be very hard to do so given that these two are entirely different programs and you would have to force an download via the client etc. And that would be noticed in a heartbeat.

Also when it comes to malware i always take peoples comments with a shred of doubt given the average joe doesnt know what a false positive is.

1 Like

I use WoWUp, it’s pretty good and very light weight.

5 Likes

I don’t use any addon managers, never trusted them. I update mods for games I have installed by downloading the ZIPs and extracting the update :slight_smile:

I suspect the bigger add-ons will move away from CurseForge and most people will just use WoWup. After a while, CurseForge will no longer be the go-to place for add-ons and Overwatch will not really have anything to do with WoW in a couple of years time.

I aint going to battle if overwolf is or isnt worth a second chance, i’ve personally no history with overwolf… i was merely stating the reasons why People have a problem with Overwolf.

Yes Overwolf isnt the only company out there which has had issues when it comes to these problems. however its even established by the people who run overwolf In their conversation with Soul in a interview, they’re very aware they got one hella a way to go to improve their reputation with People…

they have had a shadey background, its gonna leave negative thoughts on the company. im sure there are plenty in the world with a Negative review on WoW and simply refuse to play the game ever again. its simply how it goes… whenever u burn a customer thats the risk you take.

overwolf could improve and could have none of the issues its “Known” for at this date… but ti wont change the perception in some eyes.

however as far as i know, they’ve stated in the interview they’re not gonna Try get creators to move from other platforms or anything… so WoWup and things may Remain.

Created a thread about it couple of weeks ago, still holds up now

1 Like

Thats completely fine.

Because it would be a very bad business move to crack down on them rather than trying to come to an agreement in one way or another.

It’s bad

Really bad, really really really bad.

They did back down on that (and actually said they had never told anyone to ‘join us or close’) after the huge backlash it caused them.
Remains to be seen though if they do leave other managers alone or not.

I’m using WoWup, and will continue to do so as long as it works. Quite happy with that one. Very clean and lightweight.

1 Like

I’m not a tech-savvy person, so I have to rely on programmers to get myself well informed on what’s going on here. Given what people are already saying I think it’s alarming piece of software.

I personally don’t even need that many addons. I can get away with WeakAuras and BossMods.

Did wonder what got installed with Asus stuff and saw overwolf part of the installation now with their programs it has with Crate.

Uninstalled it of course.

Weirdly, when is Curse stopping downloads for addons anyways as I can still download updates from twitch.

Happened to me a couple of years ago with Logitech driver software.

In the first place people should not be making money off a game. Let us be clear about that, no website, wowhead, overwolf, nobody should be making money off a game.

Blizzard should work on stopping it, and they are slowly. They’ve added addons in-game the in-game DBM, and surely will take all the creators ideas and implement them over-time.

They should also work on a website an official website for information, similar to wowhead. Instead of letting others abuse, and profit from it, blizzard are poor at actually upholding their own rules.

We know for a fact that these wowhead, overwolf, and other communities RMT, and other things in someway, that breaks their TOS. But they let it slide because its a pain for them to start something like wowhead, or a place to have addons, and other things from scratch.

What we need to do is plead with blizzard to stop outsourcing and breaking their own TOS. Think its illegal too of blizzard?

This is not how it works. Nobody works for free. Just try to play without wowhead or addons, and come back to tell us how they are useless and don’t need to make money.

Premium addons… that says it all. You want to see the best addons for wow? THEN PAY SUIBSCRIPTION
Btw, Blizzard does not allow this, so i guess they will bring teh whole of teh CurseForge down, curse forge should be shut down

U dont make an addon because its your way of living or a job, you amke an addon because YOU WANT To, AND DONATIONS ARE NOT MANDATORY , else Blizzard will ban your addon in the next second, pal,
But now CurseForge and Overwolf make this PREMIUM ADDON stuff…where the most of critical addons and most of authors will probably post their stuff, and u can only access it IF YOU PAY
Hence, pay for addons. Hence, Blizzard will bring the whole might and fury over the GRIEFTERS at Curse forge and Overwolf.
Moving to wowinterface, a website that has remained dedicated to THE PLAYERS, and not to teh subscription and add industry.
#BAN_CURSEFORGE

No matter how much I dislike Overwolf, the only thing to my knowledge you’d be paying for is to have it ad-free. That is supposed to be an option, not mandatory.

I actually did that during curse’s move to twitch.
They were like: you need to make a switch account.
I was like: Yeah… no thanks. I don’t see why i need an account for something i don’t want. I’ll install them myself, thanks.

Moved to wowup recently. Not really interested in overworlf.

If Blizzard brought in-game Clearfont2 addon as in options to enlarge the text on the UI, then I’m all for not using as much 3rd party addons really.

They’ve done things for colour blind people but do think they need to implement some enlargement on quest text and all for higher resolution, higher dpi monitors.

It’s long overdue really.

So love to see that get implemented.

No chance i will install that. I had my doubts before after reading some stuff about them. Now, after reading your comment there is ZERO chance ill install that. ZERO.

No way to opt out of targeting advertising, no way to opt out of system profiling…ZERO chance