Thoughts on Overwolf?

https://www.wowhead.com/news=319169/curseforge-suspending-addon-updates-during-shadowlands-launch-week#comments

I’m sure plenty of people have already seen this but, yet another reason to dislike Overwolf.

So, First off, good job asking around instead of assuming. Because assumptions is what led to 95% of the Overwolfs bad reputation.

Let’s be clear here, I used to hate overwolf because back in their TS3 days, they were just an annoyance, nothing else. But a lot has changed since than. Like really, A LOT!

So let’s talk about a few standard concerns…

Two apps instead of one.
Although mathematically correct, you do need CurseForge AND Overwolf for it to work, but from a technical standpoint, it is a lot more complicated. Overwolf is not just another app. It is an engine that runs other things. Normally, that part of an application (like it was with Twitch or the first CurseForge app from years ago) has that build in.
Just because you see 2 icons in your system tray, does not mean you are straining your system twice as much. This is where assumptions come in to break logic and reason. People assume because there is 2 icons, it is more or bigger, which in fact, is actually un true. Overwolf and CurseForge combined, are about 40-45% smaller than the twitch app alone. They are also quicker and even though it is currently in beta, already less buggy than the twitch app that was fully designed years ago.

Let’s talk about the lies being spread about the Cease and Desist.
They never send a single one. The addon community (as in those that create them) was in awe when we heard that and wanted the truth. We asked the 3rd parties to see what they send. None of them was able to provide a cease and desist from Overwolf. What they DID do, was trying to open up communications about the importance of supporting the addon developers, which, in fact, are getting fked over by 3rd parties who do NOT pay the addon devs, like CurseForge does. These 3rd parties STEAL (since they do so without any permission from the addon devs, it is by definition of the word, stealing), the addons and redistribute them. Overwolf wants to counter this, while not forcing people to use the CurseForge app. But that requires communication. The devs from WoWUp, refused to communicate and started the lies. They are also a big part of the problem and most (read, I said most, not all) addon devs are against what they do.
Now, another thing. The current way those thieves steal our addons and redistribute them to fk addon devs over hard, is through an API. If Overwolf wants to stop the 3rd parties to use them, they can literally just flip a switch and its over for ALL of them. No updates will show up on those other addon managers anymore, unless addon devs specifically upload them there, which most will not. They do not need to send a cease and desist, they can just force it upon them.

Selling user data.
So, there is a lot of BS going around about Overwolf selling user data. First off, they don’t sell any data anymore. They used to sell Aggragated user data, which is, althought user data, something VERY different then most people think.
Imagine 100 wow players. 20 of them, play class X. When blizzard would post that on their website, they literally make ‘aggregated user data’ public knowledge. But they don’t actually say much about WHO does so.
Overwolf used too (note, used too, they have stopped) sell AGGREGATED user data.
“17% of players in game Y, is online for at least 5 hours a week.”
“40% of players in game Z, logs in during the weekend.”
None of these two lines, actually says something about YOU as a person. Because noone actually knows in which part you fall. Yet, ’ technically’, it is user data. It’s just extremely aggregated.
People not actually knowing what they are talking about, spread a lot of BS that painted the company in a very different light.

Now, I am just another dude saying another thing.
But all of what I have said, can be found as facts with a bit of research.

And just to be sure; I do not have any affiliation with Overwolf. My opinions are my own, but are 100% based on conversations with people from Overwolf, as I am in their Discord and they are with me in the CurseForge Discord.

it’s just too bloated
just like the twitch app was a bloated version of the curse app originally

i don’t want to wade through a flashy interface and 100 different menus and sections to update or download addons, i just want to open program, see list, click button, close program

so wowup for now

3 Likes

It’s the same thing but in a different color :man_shrugging:t4:

It does work indeed very well! I updated my addons and just close the program after, works like a charm! It is not 2005 anymore so I don’t use Thottbot and DL addons manually!

1 Like

You wrote much text but this will not change the fact that I am not going to instal OW.

sure

here are my thoughts.

i open it, update addons and than i close it completly

you fine with that ?

1 Like

Didn’t realize I needed to have thoughts on the app that I open and close after about 5 minutes.

2 Likes

Okay, just to make sure every one knows. This is complete and utter BS.
It is literally untrue…

The payout is as low as $5, not $200. And I reached that in under 20 days when I just started programming addons for fun in my spare time, while I was making 40-60 hours a week on my graduation internship.

Also, you CLEARLY have no idea how much effort goes into addon programming to state that only a handful are worth to get paid for what they do. Go check the average addon that is semi-popular and you will quickly see thousands of lines of code.

Please, stop spreading lies and talk BS about things you literally haven’t got the slightest clue, at all.

I used to run Overwolf because of league and Hearthstone add-ons. At that time, I only had 4gb ram and it completely ruined my gameplay experience. For sure, I would not have noticed any performance drop if I had my current 16gb ram.

Don’t install this crap!

Ofc they keep it light and ad-free, FOR NOW, but wait till ppl are hooked and they start doing their known scammy things

2 Likes

Skipping on it for the time being.

That’s great to hear, yay!

I very much do, thank you. I’ve been writing and maintaining open source software for the past 20+ years. :slight_smile:

…I never said that. In a perfect world, all addon developers, small and large, should be paid for their efforts. Sadly, that’s not the world we’re living in.

1 Like

Guys, I’m using overwolf and its working fine. trust me cause I’m not a green and have no issues so far.

1 Like

As long as wowup exists im using it. Once it stops working I’ll download addons manually. Overwolf is terrible

2 Likes

Thanks to this post i found a replacement.

Lightweight. No heavy backend. Single exe. Updates are a bit slower but i dont care. I am not installing overcrap.

3 Likes

Even if that’s true, are you saying you’re happy to get paid that ~10$/per month for your time?
In my mind that could just aswell have been 0$ (or that 200$ payout).

I’ve got WoWUp/manual installation for WoW, and GDLauncher for Minecraft mods, both better alternatives to Overwolf.
So it’s useless to me.

I use WowUP alot of people says Overwolf is shady platform and cannot be trusted,cuz of selling user data

1 Like

How’s it theft. The API Clients get them from Curseforge directly they dont have anything to do with the downloading. You use Curseforge so you can let people download it.

Another point, you agree when you make an addon using Blizzard’s APIs that you do not profit from it. Donating, Patreon, backdoor premium features via a website and client, and now Overwolf is perverting the addon rules and I hope Blizzard put a stop to it like the eventually did with botting.

They’d be utterly stupid to covertly record user data in a time of GDPR; they’d be fined into oblivion.

However that anonymous data they collect means that they have software on your machine collecting that data to begin with. That doesn’t sit right with me.

A point to note though, Google, Amazon and Facebook, being the worst, collect far more intimate details from you. Why do you think Google offer free emails, they scan your emails for usable data. If an app serves you ads then it’s doing some sort of data recording.