Toxic community

Hello,

I am basically on here just having a rant because the last few days have been awful.
I left wow a few years ago as my PC died and only got one recently. Fired up the game and decided to reroll an new toon to lvl - this one!

Previously I have done pug groups and yes there were a few toxic idiots who talked sheeet or were nasty for no reason. But that used to be maybe a couple pugs in a day if that. And it was usually silly stuff.

I can safely say now from my experience it seems the norm. I am not some easily offended wilting flower. I am a nurse, I am used to dealing with angry, upset people and the sometimes hurtful things that get said when people are upset. It is all water off a duck back. But today I actully left a PUG and turned of the game, I was surprised that I actully started to cry! Over a game

in alll bar 1 group yesterday, I was told I couldnt heal as i couldnt heal through them pulling a whole room and not keeping aggro. 2 dreanor players were upset when i asked for a MB after chain pulling half the run. They told me to drink and if they died they died. I explained I wasnt so worried about them dying but the others who were taking a lot of damage. onwe then asked me if I was female to which I was like; does that really matter. They then said I was obviously on my period and kicked me.

Another tank who kept wiping us by not following basic tactics took offense to me asking people to not stand in the ice on a LK run. Thats all I said, dont stand in the ice or we wipe. all through the run i explained boss tacts briefly, and said to him maybe watch a tank vid here so it is a bit easier for u next. He then /w me and said that i shouldn’t tell and tacts and stop being a sheeeet healer.

after that i thought OK, its a game, and logged off to do other stuff. Then today my 2nd run in, a cata dungeon, and we wipe due to tank pulling everything and the boss and no none knowing boss tacts ( the ones where i stand in the beam for 90 stacks so u dont get 2 big mobs). He then told me maybe I shouldn’t give tacts when im a crap healer and to concentrate on that. so i left- I made sure it wasn’t when they were pulling. He then /w me and told me to grow up among other things. And that was the straw that broke the camels back today.

I come on this game to relax. I have enough work related stress, and I know many of us are stressed or worried. But I cant believe how toxic this community has become. I know nice people are still out there but I wish blizz would do something because this community cant have got this bad overnight.

I really dont know if I can stomach playing again, and I know not every mmo community is like this: final fantasy and eso (console and pc) have much less toxic community’s.

anyway sorry for the rant. Stay safe and lets all be kind.
:wink:

25 Likes

What do you expect from Pugs? You get a mixed bag of players of all sorts.

Befriend the nice folk you come across, and/or Ignore pugs and get yourself a guild do do activities with instead.

1 Like

Ok, ok, first things first
 You went years without a PC?!
Oh my god, I can’t imagine that! Wow

Alright on to your issue now

I understand, but I can safely say that it’s not, from MY experience.
That’s the thing with experiences; it changes our perception of things.

Yeah that seems excessive. Are you sure it’s not something like work related stress finally releasing? I mean, you mentioned you’re a nurse
 Your job must be stressful at times like these?

I would say keep at it. And just try not to let the bad experiences get to you.
There’s plenty of good experiences to be had as well, if you’re willing to give it a try.

Since you mentioned dungeon runs, I’m guessing it’s not a server thing. Because there IS certainly a difference in toxicity between certain servers.

PS: I’m not sure this is related, but your name might be ticking off some people. I know I have a tendency to ‘judge’ people on their character name and people who use lore names with changed letters
 I don’t know man
 I know it’s superficial to do, but I can’t help myself.

3 Likes

hi @ Beerwolf (awesome name)

I can say that i cant remember a bad pug on Final fantasy, so I dont see ehy wow cant have a similar community experience. What is it about wow that attracts behaviour like this?

2 Likes

The community isn’t toxic, you interacted with idiots.

It’s like me meeting 3 nurses that are rude and concluding all nurses are rude. Hardly fair, dontcha think?

Theres plenty of awesome people out there, sorry you aren’t finding them.

6 Likes

Every main stream game is toxic mate. League of Legends is mainstream and also very toxic.
WoW is mainstream and played by anyone who wants to play MMORPGs.

FXIV is not mainstrea, it is a niche product and ironically the number 1 reason WoW players do not touch FFXIV is because they are extremely toxic towards anything related to anime and have no problems throwing around vile insults at “weebs” and whatever they can think of.

Lots of WoW players also play FF. It’s kind of silly to say people only play one game.

3 Likes

Ty for your reply. I dont think it is my job, I dont even think im that sensitive, but i do think it was a build up of pretty much all my wow interactions being awful for 2 days.

I started to think it was me. I always go into a group and say hi, gz and dingers etc. A player I was with who stuck up for me with the whole MB thing, said it wasnt me.

I am wondering if it is a horde thing though, my previous toons were alliance and i dont remember getting this lvl of abuse at all.

I take on board what you said about the name, never thought of that. But from the stuff said to me I got the feeling it was about me keeping people alive through tanks pulling most of the dungeon etc- that said only wiped in a couple of those runs.

Do you actually play the game or do you just post here?
I talk to an incredibly large amount of players on WoW which involves several large levelling guilds with hundreds of players online.

Do you?

If not, please don’t correct me.
The amount of players in WoW that plays or even played FF is extremely small. Most people didn’t even try it, they installed it and then ran around for a while until their WoW addiction kicked in so they closed it and went back to farm some more achievement points.
I can promise you that over half of the WoW playerbase hates on FF simply for being Japanese, while running around in their slutmog on World of Warcraft.
Please stop making excuses and learn to be objective.

This is way too much of a generalization of the WoW playerbase tbh.

I personally am not into anime and the specific style FF uses for many of its designs, but to each their own. The reason why I personally don’t like FF was not the style (although, sure; it didn’t help matters) but rather the terribly bland questing and combat. The horrible grindy feel of everything. And the weird offputting conversations (I guess you could categorize that as an anime thing maybe?). So, even though I don’t like that game; I don’t judge people for liking it. I just don’t understand their ‘likes’. :blush:

hi,

final fantasy is not very mainstream in western standards but has a big player base in the west. However I think that how they set guilds up probably helps with a less toxic environment in genrel. I have found the player base in FF to be more mature, and really polite. As I said I cant remember a toxic pug and all I do is pug on there. I am sure I had one once but really cant remember. whereas here i been pugging for 2 days and toxicity is the norm not the exception.

if you cry over things like this then its certinly not like water off a ducks back is it?

from my experience, the community is lovely most of the time. been playing for years now on horde and alliance side and im quite an altoholic and level through dungeons. sure, you meet the occassional idiot or two but the majority is either quiet or friendly.

i wouldnt base my judgement on a couple of bad encounters and paint the whole community with the same brush.

you keep saying that you arent that sensitive but from what you ve told us, i d say you are indeed quite sensitive. or at least you seem to have different expectations from the wow community.

like people mentioned before, if you meet friendly people, stick to them, invite them back to groups to run serveral dungeons, add them or join a wow community. thats pretty much your best bet of avoiding situations like these.

1 Like

yes horde are usually toxic elitists and angry :wink: play normal fun faction

It is really a dice roll with pugs, especially the higher you go, yesterday I started playing my tank again and went across a super nice group.
We timed some 16/17 and no one said anything bad.

Today I had to tollerate an idiot moaning because we wiped at 2% galvatazz cause half the group brainfarted at 10% and forgot to soak and so it was my fault for not tanking it in the corner.

Yeah ehm
 might take some of that advice yourself mate. :upside_down_face:

Kind of ironic you’re posting reactions such as your previous post in a thread about toxicity. :blush:

1 Like

hi

I really am not sensitive, as I said it was a culmination of nearly all my groups just being nasty. I am glad you have had good experiences. Prior to this I felt like you do, I loved wow, I loved pugging, I loved meeting nice people with a few toxics thrown in. But when u get constant abuse for 2 days, abuse that becomes personal, then it can upset anyone.

I turned off all my Party, Instance, Say, Whisper chats , because Im very toxic when I drink and I got alot in-game squelches. Last one was 2 months long
 I just dont want to chat with anyone anymore in-game, cuz I may get reported and banned again and then I cant make party-sync groups by myself with 2 clients.

Why you cant make a group with your own characters while you are squelched/chat banned? Also you cant use the forums if they silence you in-game.

How things coming from an online player / stranger / someone you will never meet again maybe ingame and ofc not in irl can affect you so much that you end up crying ?

I dont kno , its very weird to me.
Maybe its the fact that im 28yo and the last 14 years in my online gaming experience people wishing me to get cancer , doing my mom and hoping that i end up with aids .

Maybe i’m immune ? Dunno.
I couldnt care less what another garbage from miles away behind his/her screen has to say , probably irl they wouldnt be so aggresive ^

I suggest to find some cozy guild to do things together if you worry about meeting ‘toxic’ players again or simply mute everyone before you start a group and play more like solo.

Farewell.

1 Like

oh please, now im really sure you are overdramatising things. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I have no clue what you mean. Every player knows very well that the WoW forum is incredibly biased and not objective in the slightest. You regulars are known in the whole WoW community to fanboy every Blizzard decision and hate on every single player who writes any kind of criticism. This is literally a stereotype. Do you really not know that? All I am seeing is people who are extremely antisocial telling this OP that the game is amazing and that players are so very nice. The same people would put you on their ignore list if you tried to start a conversation with them.
You’re literally playing into the stereotype with your response.