Toxicity in M+ PUGGS

Oh my bad, this is not your main… I can see you dont need my help :smiley:

Yes it has. Sad week for me too. But im hopeful for this next one.

Dejarous is a valuable contributor to the forums. Makes it fun in a way.

And also, looking up Rio of people is standard because 99% of the times people walk in here asking for things as if they were the “top dog MDI pros” when in reality they are peanuts.

Like people complaining that they cant get invited to 20s and that M+ is “in a horrible state” when the highest key they timed was a 16+… That sort of thing.

1 Like

Depends on word fun you mean fun Mock players sure heve a party yum

It would be nice if there was a built in option to reward friendly and helpful players in pugs. It is unfortunate to need to incentivise good behaviour but hey, this is what happens if you remove community and accountability.

Personally OP I think you need to find a friendly guild and build up a list of companions to play online with.

Too many people sit in tiny guilds, of just themselves or just their close family, and complain about having to team with randoms. The answer is to build a better network of friends, and guilds are the best vehicle for this. I don’t mean this as a criticism of the OP btw, as don’t know your guild situation.

2 Likes

TBH, this is not a Game issue.
Its a World issue.
People are not raised with respect, Common Decency has become Uncommon/Legendary/Artifact decency, showing gratitude is rare, and grasp of staying logical is unheard of.
There is zero personal accountability…
Nobody is interested in asking for help to learn BEFORE they enter someone elses m+.
The days of being a decent human is long gone, and 99% will behave like selfish turds with no skill.

People are just raised wrong, by society as a whole.

And when were the days where people in general were not selfish turds?

Our whole economy is based on the assumption that everyone is a selfish turd. Our political system is also based on that.

Like… when were people not as they are now? Because I missed that part. In game, and in the real world.

1 Like

My first real MMO was Ultima Online, back in 1997. The game was very free with relatively few consequences. Within weeks, player-killing was rampant. The devs added stat/skill losses for player killers if they died, so the PKs banded together and swept the non-instanced dungeons in larger groups. It became so oppressive that I usually simply couldn’t play between 8pm and midnight.

Player houses could be, and were, stolen by pick-pocketing the keys. Players trapped chests at crossroads to blow up other players who tried to open them, so the trappers could loot the corpses (initially this didn’t give a “murder count”, so it circumvented the consequences completely).

The UO developers gradually made changes and eventually introduced a non-PvP “dimension” of the same world. But yeah, gamers in online games have never been different, because people have never been different.

2 Likes

Good old Ultima Online… :smiley:

I always say the same thing here on the forums: People will always be jerks. Until they invent technology to e-mail a punch to the face. Then people will behave.

:slight_smile:

Mine too. I quickly moved away to a cosy non-pvp private server that had a lot of fun stuff like breeding exotic pets and enhanced crafting systems… and an amazing - but small - community of friendly people.

Thinking on it, I think it’s the size of MMOs that enables bad behaviour. When the player base is very small, the consequence of being shunned by the only social group on offer is enough to curb it for most people.

I am basing it on my own experience with people — people have grown worse over the years.
Selfie-era kicked in, people are more ego than ever.

Basically a double-post, but previous post was on Akyrie (my alt) which I finally got around to changing back from :rofl: Ignore this post!

Ive had a different perception of people over the years. People have always been weird and self centered in my eyes.

There has always been a bully or a narcissistic in any social place I have attended.

But in time I learned that sometimes, your own attitude to those very people changes how they interact with you. So you can even make the biggest jerks behave in-front of you.

And it also works in wow. Dont ask me how.

I haven’t pugged much with this Evoker and play mostly with friends (18-22s, so nothing super high). But I leveled up a Resto Shaman and decided to gear him up by mostly pugging.

On that lowbie shaman, I’ve pugged about 25 keys in the past few days, ranging from +5 to +16. I haven’t seen a single instance of toxicity even though that’s the bracket people say is the worst. I only had one key where the key holder disconnected at the start (nothing had happened) and then another dps left. No flaming even in situations where people made obvious mistakes (you’d not believe how many whelps can be pulled in DHT!).

It’s true that there are quite a few players who interrupt very little, don’t play mechanics, don’t use stuns or other CC, stand in everything, don’t know boss tactics. Some do only a bit more damage than similarly geared tanks. But that is just inexperience, not toxicity. I sometimes give a few pointers at the end if I noticed stuff that’d be fatal later on (like running away from others with the silence circle or to other players with paranoia in DHT).

I’ve also seen a lot of really good players. Often these are alts (just had a SP alt with a 3.7k main in a 13 or 14), or people who have general “game sense” and listen to DBM.

I don’t know why this is, but I have never really encountered the toxic side of pugging. Not while leveling in dozens of dungeons and not in these low keys. It probably helps to play as a healer (shaman has PUG friendly tools, like the short interrupt, stun totem, talented thunderstorm) or a tank, because you can compensate for issues, but still, I feel the community is better than its reputation.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.