Turtle WOW possible?

I know Blizzard is generally allergic to work, but do you think they’d ever branch out Classic to something like Turtle WOW / Classic Plus?

2 Likes

It would be the best way to gain money, reputation and player attention for blizzard.

Sadly, Team 2 has proven that they can’t handle, or even understand, vanilla’s philosophy, so it would be a trainwrek if they tried to do a classic+. They would 100% retail it, with qol, quick leveling and bend to all lazy players demands.

Just look at what players are demanding on the “classic+” topic : they don’t ask for classic+ but for retail- (they want to import retail features in classic, it looks like they don’t understand the vanilla’s philosophy). If neither the vocal players nor the developers understand why vanilla was a good game, it is certain the project will fail. Turtle understands far better what vanilla is.

Classic+ is my dream, but I believe less and less they can do it. To work, they would have to hire a game designer who understands vanilla’s philosophy (Kevin Jordan said his price was really high to accept), give him full autonomy, and a dedicated team of ~10 people (OSRS functions with 8 people). Do you really think modern blizzard would accept to take this kind of risk ?

Since the fiasco of Titan, blizzard is terrified of risk and innovation. They only finance maintenance projects (remaster and wow expansions : managed decline) or tiny projects with no risk attached (hearthstone was like a 3 people team). They act out of fear. Classic+ can only come out of love/passion for the true wow experience.

So for now, Turtle is the only way to experience vanilla+ and it will stay this way because blizzard is in no situation to develop it (they don’t even understand the point).

6 Likes

I agree, imagine Blizzard does (even basically copies) the work that has been done on Turtle WoW – would be ideal for enjoying Vanilla with some fresh flavor in it.

The added content (I believe it’s actually restored/replicated content that Blizzard decided to NOT include into Vanilla before its release, I really don’t understand why) matches the Vanilla vibe so well, that… I mean, after playing on Turtle I now feel that something is missing when I’m playing actual Classic, – I do miss those quests, the npcs, the new buildings in Goldshire. They feel like they belong to the Classic world completely.

A few days ago I found an old captain’s map and did a quest chain in Westfall to find the treasure… I only remember similar quests in actual Classic in like 40-s levels in Booty Bay and Tanaris, but here it was on level 15! Or the golden ring you find in Elwyn forest that a murloc had swallowed. There are so many of such small, neat and lovely quests that feel absolutely in place and you can hardly remember - were they actually in Classic or were only added on Turtle.

I absolutely enjoy the adventure on Turtle WoW, it adds a lot to the immersion! The only shame for me is Turtle is a PvE server, while as a dedicated PvP-er I just can’t play without world PvP, the game feels hollow without it. But still I log on Turtle a couple times per week just to chill there.

It’s very sad that Blizzard can’t do this work and give us this amazing experience on normal official servers. Even given all the work is actually done…

Despite what some may think, we choose to play on private servers not because we’re greedy to pay 15 bucks a month, but just because Blizzard won’t let us have the experience we get on those servers.

1 Like

You shouldn’t ever be apologetic about playing private servers, they’ve made this company an incredible amount of money by merely existing as a gateway to paid WOW.

Turtle is incredibly cool as a live “what if” concept board for Classic+, I definitely recommended anyone, especially the developers and people behind Classic give it a play (They probably do/have).

With modern workflows and software, expanding Classic with extra content would be very low cost and present high potential returns. You could probably today pull off asset creation etc with a fraction of the team needed for vanilla WOW.

1 Like

There is also a pride factor about the impossibility of classic+. Team 2 is full of prideful people who think they are the salt of the earth. Making classic+ would invalidate 15 years of work : it would be like admiting retail is bad and their life’s work has been garbage. They will never admit to that. So only if an executive forces them to reboot the game will they do it (but do it with anger and spite, so badly).

1 Like

if it requires money and effort blizzard will never do it.

That’s likely true and sucks! It’s a shame, if you look at No Man’s Sky, tiny teams of only a few people can make incredible stuff if the workflows are solid and modern.

Actiblizz only cares about money as they are such a huge company with shareholders that must be provided with profit, smaller studios that are not public companies can do things more for fun

But the funny thing is that Classic+ would actually be the best/smartest way to make money. It would capitalize easily on the classic success (while TBCC is churning the playerbase and wotlk will churn it even more).

Look at OSRS : it is the locomotive of the project Runescape and the reason why they have now the most subscribers of their history.

That’s not a question of money why they don’t do it. Classic+ would cost next to nothing to produce (a team of 10 people max) and would produce good publicity and attract a lot of the millions of people who have quit during the lifespan of the game.
Exactly like Classic when it was a player myth : a project with next to zero cost and a high potential of income.

They don’t do it because of other reasons : pride, incompetence (I really think they don’t understand why vanilla was a good game), lack of imagination (look at what their story team produces), habit of their no-risk workflow, etc.

u realize classic+ would have the same pink haired diversity hires working on it that ruined retail right? its not like Chris Metzen and Omar are gonna back to make it

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.