Uhm. Fourth War?

This… is kind of an obvious question, innit?

Did the writers forget that we already had a Fourth War? Y’know, with the… Deathwing, and Pandaren, and Sha of Pride, and Garrosh and his Kor’kron and… all that?

This was the FIFTH War, Blizzard! THE FOURTH WAS THE MAIN STORY FOR TWO EXPANSIONS! How do they forget about it?!

1 Like

I think they are counting the faction wars. First War, Second War, Garrosh was Third war, this is the fourth.

Garrosh wasn’t third war. Warcraft 3 was Third War.

2 Likes

:man_shrugging:

The problem with that is that Cyrus Crestfall keeps referencing the Third War like he fought in it, which he obviously didn’t do it if was the war against Garrosh (which Kul Tiras had no involvement in), and the Third War has consistently been referenced otherwise as the one that involved the flight to Kalimdor, including the in-game books.

I really hope Blizzard realizes this mistake and patches the title and achievement to be “Fifth War”…

I don’t know why you expect Blizzard to be consistent with its own lore at this point.

4 Likes

Oh, come on. You know I don’t. The whole point of this forum is that we complain about it, though.

3 Likes

It think they are trying to make a bigger deal out of BFA than it really was.

1 Like

Which is kinda idiotic, since we are all trying to forget it happened.

1 Like

Maybe they should call it the Story Forum War then.

gottemmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

3 Likes

I’m hoping the “Fourth War” refers to everything that happenned between the Horde and Alliance from Vanilla up until now, meaning that it’s finally over.

Legion should have been the “Fourth War”, instead it’s just called “Third Invasion of the Burning Legion”.

The common misconception here (on Blizzard’s part too) is thinking that the three great wars were “faction wars”. They were not. They were all orchestrated by the Burning Legion in their plan to conquer Azeroth. Thus, Legion should have been the “Fourth War”.

I am more annoyed that Saurfang calls Sylvanas Blackhand’s ideological heir instead of Garrosh. That seems much more of a hint that they are overlooking MoP than the 4-war-count.

1 Like

more like fourth wall

1 Like

I mean, No… in literally the previous cinematic they mentioned both Theramore and Garrosh.

Which one are you talking about? There are so many now. I was talking about the new non-HD cinematic.

I meant the Baine rescue cinematic from 8.2. Thrall mentions both Theramore and Garrosh in the lists of things he spectacularly failed at.

Ah, that’s already ancient! :wink:

I guess it’s as follows:

First War – Warcraft: Orcs & Humans.

Second War – Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness.

Third War – Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.

Fourth War: Battle for Azeroth / Before the Storm.

There are more wars in-between and before, but like in real-life, the naming doesn’t really follow any specific guidelines per se. I guess that makes sense. :yum:

I mean, yeah, with an uncritical and naive attitude like that, Blizzard can do whatever they want I guess. However, it actually does not make sense. We had a devestating war in-between (the one during Cata and MoP), which didn’t really have a proper name (“Horde-Alliance war”). Blizzard would entirely skip this war for no reason at all in their naming policy. It’d also make no sense for the inhabitants, since the Horde-Alliance War was very destructive, and if not that war, then the war between the Burning Legion might be a great candidate. But skipping two potent wars without justifying it, now that is bad writing. Not that anyone except you is surprised of course.

3 Likes