Unholy Death Knight vs Shadow Priest for Shadowlands

Hello guys! I am looking to main one of the two for Shadowlands and i will be focusing on PvP mainly arenas, I have played unholy DK up to 2k rating and I have no experience with Shadow Priest, both look equally fun to me so I would like to hear the opinion of people who played beta or have similar/higher experience than me. Maybe a list of positives and struggles with each class would be helpful. Thank you so much in advance! :slight_smile:

Well, as far as history goes, Unholy DK will be unplayable at the start of Shadowlands, so maybe you could go for Shadow priest first and then Unholy DK after?

As far as Unholy goes, it seems like in BfA but a bit fancier. You got a few more defensive options and gargoyle back, but it feels a bit clunky to play with the gcd and burst/mobility abilities being on the global cooldown.

The correct answer is to always play what’s most fun for you, but keep in mind there’s a high chance that unholy dk will be unplayable because it’s usually like that at the start of expansions.

No hate but the confidence in this statement is funny :joy:
Reminds me of another spec too

Inferno DK?

2 Likes

Okay so what are you saying is that DK’s just scale better with gear than Spriest most of the time? (Keep in mind that i would be happy playing anything). Also did you get the chance to play a DK on beta?

I have not played neither, but I thematically like the spec fantasy of shadow priest a lot more, if that helps you make a decision at all. :slight_smile:

He’s saying that if dks are broken they’ll get smashed with nerfs and if they’re bad, they’ll rot until an item/combination to abuse is found to keep them active. [gushing/gettiku, tank trinkets,versa amps etc]

No items could of fixed unholy at the start of bfa. It wasn’t just unholy that was bad either the entire class was in the gutter for 90% of season 1. It got buffs 4-5 weeks before the season ended. Then was op in s2 thanks to various tank trinkets and other dmg absorbing items. Got nerfed and felt alright in season 3 with selfhealing being overtuned. Then they nerfed that and our dps yet again and now the class relies on gushing wounds to do any damage. I think dk is in a bad spot right now but i can’t tell because of corruptions nor do i care much because this season is beyond a meme. I’m genuinely enjoying levelling my classic chars more than playing bfa atm and if it wasn’t for classic i i would of unsubbed months ago.

I quit in cata so i can’t speak for how dk performed in mop, wod and legion but i never remember the class being as bad as it was when bfa launched.

https ://ibb.co/ PYrygRH
“The best advice i can give you is to delete your dk.” - Cervantes 2018.

TLDR, Go spriest. DK doesn’t feel well mechanically nor is it in a great spot right now.

Dk was busted after the buffs since a few months

Ah, yes. Cervantes. A reasonable source, always fair in his statements.

The whole expansion was a mess, not only DKs.

https://i.imgur.com/xNTwqGG.png

I was there on both warlock and dk! :heart_eyes:

I’m curious about what you linked there, to see Subtelty, Ret and Outlaw ranked 2, 3 and 4.

season 1 of bfa ; before december 2018 balance changes.
site is/was xunamate

Best time of BFA ironically.

They just had to adjust DKs and WW’s and make ele viable without Lasso and could’ve been a great season.

and of course make BM useless. Just a quick note take a look at fire mage representation :slight_smile:

Let me refresh your memory with a few words.

‘Spirit Link’ ; Double Shadowpriest

Yea he’s definitely not a source for anything, but dk was in fact unplayable throughout the entirety of 8.0.

I had the most fun in BfA Season 1 and 2.
Season 1 playing 2s and Season 2 playing 3s, also dk and rdruid were op which made the season a lot more fun for me personally.

Personally had the most fun getting echoing void at the start of 8.3 but in general I think playing WW towards the end of S1 was kinda fine and getting high as fury/ww was unique at these times also enjoyed 2s.

playing rdruid/ww in S1 was insanely strong and I think I also hitted rank 1 in 2s but then dropped quickly again.

Season 2/3 were boring fiestas I just played S3 for the mount after that i just logged off until S4

Yes, I was merely answering to quoting this guy. It’s indeed facts that DK was bad as a whole up until december when we had the 8.1 class changes one month before 8.1 & season 2 because why not.

Not trolling but I don’t remember the problem with link and I’ve never seen double sp team.

I remember boomy random 2shot someone with starsurge or some other azerite with problem of balance but I feel it was better than s2-s3 (aka tant trinket cleave everywhere) and s4