Unpopular opinion

Is it just me or is Activism - Blizzard (and other companies) donating money and suporting political movements inappropriate?

In my opinion game developers and publishers should not show stances on politics and should instead focus on making great games. Sure some people support BLM and are happy that the company is investing milions (of our money) to the movement but they don’t (or don’t want to) understand that it’s just a simple PR move that it’s simply made for profit.

The proof of insincerity and cunning of Acti-Blizz was showed when they failed to support demonstrations in Hong Kong simply because of China money.

It’s appaling what Blizzard and other industries are doing and im ashamed to be a part of this community and game because of it.

Blizzard in the name of all the players who do not support or do not care about BLM and other political movements, STOP. Please. Just focus on improving your game. That will show character, not your fake caring about minorities. Look up to companies like CD Project Red.

P.S. I am fully aware that this will probably get deleted and my account banned because I have ‘‘wrong’’ worldview, but honestly I don’t care anymore

33 Likes

Why shouldn’t they be supporting movements? It would be downright stupid from a PR image to not support them.

More likely, it’ll get deleted because it’s obvious flamebait.

2 Likes

Just you, money given to a honest and useful association is always a good thing, even if company may try to get tax refund in return.

Both things are different tho. Can’t really blame an US Dev team to talk about an US issue.

And seeing how much time Ion spent/wasted on the stream to talk about BLM it feels more like a decision from the team (may have co-workers involved / invested in the movement ?) Than big ol’ acti blizz doing a pr stunt.

The 3 or 4 millions given ? Useful PR. The statements on twitter ? Pr stunt. But delaying the development and somewhat harming the advertisement of their game doesn’t sound like one.

Welcome to the real world !

Stop acting like some kind of martyr/victim. There are clear TOS on the forum and the only one being broken here is that this thread has nothing to do with the game and may be moved to another category.

2 Likes

OP are you serious ?

1 Like

Honest and useful association? Please. There is nothing noble in suporting people that pillage destroy and burn cities. Let’s be real that movent has nothing to do with black lives it’s pure mayham.

14 Likes

No. Companies can have political views

1 Like

FYI: https://primagames.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-event-delayed-black-lives-matter-blm-protests

While not a direct donation to BLM, Cyberpunk 2077 was delayed to show support of BLM. Said game is developed by CD Projekt RED.

I agree, they shouldnt feel pressured to join movements. The problem comes from the public, PC/Cancel culture is unfortunately a thing and its the worst thing ever.

You can blame the Americans for that.

12 Likes

It’s scary that this is the case. And honestly it will become much worse before it gets better.

1 Like

Governments are supposed to be impartial and neutral, if a government went out and aligned themselves with a political movement of any kind that would worry me deeply.

A company however, is another topic, because a company has no responsibility to be impartial, they can take any stance, any side, or say what they want, a company is just as free to make an expression as an individual.

3 Likes

im not against it, but its stupid in the 1st place that they should :c

1 Like

Honestly if it was some peaceful movement with noble goals I wouldn’t even be as frustrated. But the mass support from Act-Blizz and others for this criminal and dangerous movement is worrying.

6 Likes

This is one thing I wished they would avoid doing. Now I’m finding out they have been donating to a criminal organization. I’m seriously reconsidering investing my time in these games.

To a degree I get that they have to put on the typical corporate show. But their support of the above mentioned criminal organization is taking it too far.

7 Likes

Look the chances of this thread getting locked is quite high, i had 1 locked with a similar theme. Just a heads up though.

I blame America for all this instability in the world.

4 Likes

This is the truth of the matter or as somebody said earlier, PR image. Most large organisations have to be seen ‘as doing the right thing’.

If people just realise this is the reality now of the corporate world, to be seen as PC and to ‘tick the right boxes’.

5 Likes

I really want to point something out but unfortunately the TOS prevents me from making any ill advised comment on another poster… Such a shame right ?

These associations aren’t the BLM weird one which seemingly refuses to share how it uses its funds but already well established ones.

Part of it yes. But generalising the whole movement to the the craziest is a far too common mistake.

5 Likes

yes, some organizations have hijacked he BLM protests and movement for their own gain.

3 Likes

Is there a way to follow posters? I like what Serious is bringing to the table!!

Oh and I like your guild!!

2 Likes

A company should take sides where governments fail to do so.

In an ideal world everyone is equal.

The world is not ideal, so those who have the money and the power should strive for balance.

5 Likes