Unpopular Opinions

Unpopular opinion.

I am not Tehya’s main.

Witchcraft

2 Likes

i’m happy with azerite emissaries.

Okay, you’ve gone too far with this.

OCH LADDIE, SINDRI IS MININ’ AZERITE FROM THA WORLDS OPEN WOUNDS!

YE GOT TO BASH HIS KNEECAPS IN, CHAMPION! OCH!

4 Likes

Teh woons, Champion!

TEH WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS!

1 Like

I’d ram that amulet into azeroth itself just to get it up 2 levels! 2!

https://i.gyazo.com/347546ca5c3aa6b96faf139ea9bfc960.png

4 Likes

Is it really all about the Tehya’s we met along the way?

2 Likes

Chronicles 3 established that the blood elves tought that they had burned their bridges to the Alliance via the Kael incident and thus looked to the Horde for support. Claims of attempted genocide and other excesses throwing the elves into the burly green arms of Thrall is exaggeration, though I know people get passionate about it after playing their characters for literal years as if the Alliance had tried to destroy them.

It’s hard to say where the whole night elf situation plays into it but it’s definitely not a factor in the belf meta-narrative and might just be me’dan tier, scrubbed from the record.

It’s still crazy for blood elves to not feel weird about helping and serving the orcs who genuinely tried to wipe them out. But that’s just that vaunted blood elven pragmatism, isn’t it?

1 Like

What’s pragmatic about it though? They’re actively diverting their focus away from repairing their lands and regaining their strength and towards a war effort they have no personal stake in. The number of times it would just have made more sense for the Blood Elves to throw up the elfgates again and peace-out from world politics grows with every expansion.

• BC: “Well, the Alliance won’t help us and the Horde looks like nothing but trouble. Let’s fix those elfgates.”
  • Wrath: “The only personal stake we have in this fight is vs Arthas, we should just be aiding the Argents and hey maybe they’ll help us mend our lands once we’re done.”
  • Cataclysm: “Garrosh is stirring more wars we have no stake in. Good thing we didn’t make a snap decision in the moment that would be really weird for such a long-lived and pensive people to do by joining the Horde.”
  • MoP: “Wow, Jaina’s in charge of Dalaran. It’s probably a good thing we didn’t side with the Horde otherwise we might have cost ourselves our longest-standing and closest ally in the Kirin Tor.”
  • WoD: “What is even happening anymore? We’re barely involved in the conflict in THIS universe! Stop trying to drag us into your wars!”
  • Legion: “Okay, Legion’s back. Good thing we spent years recovering our strength instead of fighting meaningless wars we have no stake in!”
  • BfA: watches Teldrassil burn and the Undercity crumble “Wow… good thing we’re not the only major Horde garrison left on the Eastern Kingdoms otherwise we’d be in a REALLY :poop:y situation right now.”
2 Likes

The Horde, via the Forsaken, saved them in the Ghostlands. It’s made pretty clear that without the Forsaken assistance they’d have lost it to the roaming Scourge entirely. The Horde were instrumental in securing their lands.

That’s kind of a major part of why they joined.

2 Likes

Aye but that’s not a pragmatic approach to the problem is what I’m saying. If the Blood Elves are pragmatic, which I’d argue they demonstrably are not, then they would have left the Horde when the alliance became inconvenient, probably around Wrath.

It was more a gentle jab at people defending various blood elven choices so fiercely and ignoring the horde’s crimes against Quel’Thalas while novels are written on how this or that incident with their old Alliance is an unforgivable affront justifying anything done under the Horde’s banner.

In my unpopular opinion, the sensible attitude is to blame both factions for the crap things they did and grudgingly cooperate with the Horde despite that the orcish and indeed the Horde capital was named after the “hero” who slaughtered them in the second war. You don’t have to like your ally to work with them.

4 Likes

True, but there is also the question of at what point does it stop being pragmatic to be their allies, and the Horde has gotten to be a progressively worse and worse deal for the Blelves with each expansion.

How is it not ‘pragmatic’? The last two interactions with the Alliance were attempted regicide and then sabotage which would destroy their race. Clearly they’re maintaining hostilities despite Garithos being gone.

Meanwhile the Horde are extending an olive branch and offering military and material support in rebuilding their decimated nation.

What reason do they have to not sign up with the Horde? Fear that the Alliance would attack them again? Like they already are?

2 Likes

It is also worth noting that Garithos was a bit more than just a bit rude. He activly sent Kael’thas and the blood elves working under him into difficult, if not dangerous situations against the scourge, while simultaeneously taking away troops and supplies for no other reason than being a jerk, in all honestly.

His actions prior to Kael allying with Vashj and imprisoning all of Kael’s forces, kinda signpost towards that he did wish for them to fail/perish and wasn’t against rigging things so it would be more likley to happen.

Despite what I have said about Garithos before, in that among the Alliance, his name is pretty much disgraced and he is only remembered in history as a d-bag, he was a big influencial commander of the Alliance forces in Lordaeron at that point in time. And it isn’t that difficult to see the blood elves having trust issues after that whole ordeal.

Then add in the night elves in the belf zones and that dwarven “Ambassador”.

1 Like

I can also imagine that if among this Horde that is offering support, one of the Windrunners are present, someone who did her best to defend their lands from the scourge. Despite her undead status, she have free will now at this point, and it would most likley have some pull I believe.

1 Like

But that’s where events conspire to keep them loyal, such as garrosh’s conspiracy triggering the purge of dalaran just as the blood elves were being groomed to defect as a whole due to being treated like expendable tools by the warchief.

The elves aren’t in a position to negotiate and their interests of survival align with the Horde. In the big picture, the pragmatic thing is to grit your teeth, smile and work with those that’ll work with you despite your differences.

2 Likes

This is also true. Lor’themar notes that he has something of a soft spot when it comes to Sylvanas, thanks to her efforts and sacrifice during the scourge invasion. Forsaken following Sylvanas will have likely gone a decent way to convincing them that the Forsaken were on the up-and-up.

1 Like