Unpopular Opinions

Pandaria was honestly great. It had alot of heart and energy in it. It wasnt just all fat panda food jokes. Take a look at the Krasarang wilds storyline and Townlong steppes. Alot of the quests there dealt with heavy emotional things, such as loss, grief, depression, despair etc. And did so quite well. And the more light-hearted adventurers where honestly fun too.

Pandaria is aesthetically the best expansion they’ve made, no competition. Jade Forest is beautiful.

3 Likes

With the modern playerbase? Not exactly unpopular, although it does prompt a question: who is more entitled, the vanilla/private server playerbase or the retail one?

(Genuinely curious, for once)

I would say there is a mixture of both on both ends. Because I know well enough that not all vanilla/private players are “entitled”. Instead I think it is a fairly loud minority that are very demanding, and sometimes outright aggresive in terms of defending their memories. So they by no all means represents everyone of them. But, I would personally say that those players that outright defended Nostalrius when it went down, were entitled, or atleast clueless. Any goodwill that group might have had in my eyes as a regular/retail player fell apart the moment they showed their true colours, allow me to summarize:

They got shut down for having their private server & taking money(donations for it). They said it was all about preserving vanilla and had respect for Blizzard and it wasnt about profit. They then made a threat to Blizzard that unless they did announce classic, they would continue to host their servers again via russian/chinese connections, and continue to take money for it. When Blizzard did announce the classic project, they still continued.

Any talk from that group about their love and perservation was just talk really, and those who defended that where indeed entitled or clueless.

But, sorry, that ranting/tangent aside, yes I do think only a vocal minority of the vanilla players are actually entitled.

Same when it comes to those of us who play today. Alot of people on either end of every discussion in…well anything really, are normally open to talk and quite sensible, just with a diffrent opinion. Putting people into camps/teams is not very good as it makes broad strokes.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion, those are pretty much facts in my book. Of course queueing and LFR is handy for people that otherwise don’t have the time, but if people don’t have the time to play some aspects of the game as they once were, then why bother at all?

It’s a common misconception that people need to play for over 8 hours a day in order to “compete”. Thanks to the casual-friendly shift you mentioned, the game has become a lot worse in some aspects, and people are beginning to see it now with the massive backlash BfA is getting. It started a long time ago but people weren’t too fussed about it all. MoP was a testing lab for many things the game suffers from nowadays, take the god awful titanforging as an example.

1 Like

Np, I didn’t say they were unpopular opinions; I was replying to others already discussing it.

But again regarding WoW Classic: while I know this is something of a generalisation, from my experience a huge chunk people began playing the game as teens (or younger). As they’ve grown older, the world we play in has begun to feel less massive, less magical, and not just because of how Blizzard have changed their approach, but how we’ve changed too.

They think that Vanilla is better / superior, because that’s how they remember it, because it comes from a time when playing and enjoying the game was that much simpler. I remember my first character, a tauren hunter, and running across Mulgore, doing those first quests before moving onto the Barrens. I’ve rarely had as much easy fun as I did back then, in a zone that is pretty simple in terms of design but looked and felt amazing.

A lot of Nixxiom’s videos remind me of those times, when he talks about his noob experiences. I had those same experiences, and they really were awesome. It’s hard to get the same thrill from the game anymore, because nothing’s new anymore and I’m 12 years older than the kid who first stepped foot (hoof?) in Bloodhoof Village.

But maybe I’m just projecting, because clearly a lot of this comes from my personal experience and perspective.

4 Likes

The irony of the “post on your main” is that Ilyadris is the one that stays on TOPIC the most.
Rest of you is just trying to prove her wrong.
This IS suppose to be UNPOPULAR opinions after all.

1 Like

It hasn’t been that for ages. It’s more of a general discussion thread now (and more interesting for it).

Opinion: I want blood elves to stay within the Horde, but not to be touched by any writing for the next 10 years (if WoW will actually survive that long lol), just being a token player here and there, simply because I am confident that Blizzard will screw it, badly.

2 Likes

Not saying I agree with her view or anything, but this is a place where such opinions are to be spoken, that was it’s intention.
Just cause others derailed and think the new derailing is more fun or whatever should not take away the value of it’s true purpose.
We already have a pet-peeve thread chain.

Opinion: Blood Elves should rejoin the Alliance. The Horde should reclaim it’s original brutishness/nastiness and remove all elves from the ranks. Pandas too.

2 Likes

The negative, unsocial attitude of the playerbase and the game developers has caused a lot of damage.

1 Like

Blood Elves are just as savage and nasty as the other races in the Horde, they just hide it under a veneer of civility.

7 Likes

I would downvote this if I could.

5 Likes

Fixed it for you.

Also, I never understood why people didn’t want the savage, brutal Horde but the castrated New Horde that Thrall founded.

I love the idea of the savage, brutal Horde that will do anything to ensure their survival.

2 Likes

Lul, it is an unpopular opinion thread :blush:

Sorry but the Blood Elves were always faithful to the Light. It was only the Blood Knights who weren’t, even if I think they should have remained that way rather than renew their faith.

Oh I agree, the blood elves should’ve stayed their TBC-esque self, then atleast they would’ve fit with the Horde without having to force the nightborne in to make them not feel odd.

And if remaining faithful to the Light means mindcontrolling those that spoke of the Light’s tenets and of them culturally being a better match for the Alliance, or sucking dry a dying Naaru, then yes, they where very faithful.

The creation of the order was not without its critics. The Farstriders and their leader, Ranger-General of Silvermoon Halduron Brightwing, were particularly opposed to the Blood Knights’ creation, believing the knights’ methods of maintaining their powers to have been immoral. The general populace also looked at the unproven Blood Knights with distrust - sometimes revulsion - for the same reason.

Taken from Wowpedia, Blood of the Highborne its source.

If anything, it proves that the Blood Elves are more than capable of maintaining their savagery, regardless of their faith - their treatment of the Amani they took prisoner is another good example.

Morallyyy greeey

Seriously, the entire redemption storyline in TBC was tragic. Give me Warhammer Dark Elf-tier Belves and not the current mishmash where everything is possible but nothing is set as a standard for a kingdom that’s allegedly meant to be a police-state.

2 Likes