Unpopular Opinions

Fascinatingly complex, I have to admit. One could argue about the ethics of why sex is so emotive and violence isn’t, when violence can scar people just as bad as sex can (see children from warzones), but that’s probably not a topic for here.

T-34 Strongest tenk, URRAH!!!

Quite. I do think violence is glossed over somewhat, but I get why, wars have been a mainstay of history, and to a degree violence has been normalised in entertainment in a way sex never has been (at least regarding children).

I also think it naturally becomes more emotive when people become parents. As a parent myself (not that I was blasé to it before) but I certainly became more aware of dubious stuff like grooming etc. It seems more nefarious because as was said earlier, victims of sexual assault live on to tell their tale, the dead can’t do the same.

Machiavelli provides quite a nice explanation as to why this might be. People get over short- sharp sudden shocks quicker than they do gentler, but repeated wrongs against them. Murder reflects the former, sexual assault the latter (due to the living status of the victim, which means the suffering is repeated in their memory):

"all those injuries which it is necessary for him to inflict, and to do them all at one stroke so as not to have to repeat them daily; and thus by not unsettling men he will be able to reassure them, and win them to himself by benefits… … For injuries ought to be done all at one time, so that, being tasted less, they offend less;"

He also makes a point of saying that history shows that people can forgive you for killing their friends and such (over time) but they tend to be less forgiving if you violate what they consider their sanctum and try to take it off them (assaulting their children, violating the role of parent as protector) so people tend to view it as more wicked than killing, which is why he suggests in his writing that whilst a leader can get away with killing their opponents, they can far less frequently get away with violating the sanctums of their subjects, who will never forgive for such.

1 Like

Now that’s an unpopular opinion

It’s a categorically wrong opinion, Spell; if anything a lack of ERP (in comparison to other servers I’ve seen, which die quite quickly if there’s no rules against it) is what has allowed the server to exist for as long as it has. It’s just that you do the big cyb0r yourself so your perception is skewed because of it.

It’s the old canard of “I do it, so everybody else must do it as well, just secretly!”.

You deffo. have a dog in this race, my dude…

10 Likes

Ah damn, I knew Lotheridan constantly erps with Lionheart in garrison. Bloody called it, but no one believed it. Bayerleyn 2: Electic Boogaloo

Edit:

Ah lol nvm, should’ve clicked in my head that it is serrida who goes on defending erp and speak of people’s motivation to pay for a subscription

1 Like

tbf. You’ve got to have a high IQ to even perform average ERP in this day and age .
hence the large amount of people that erp on AD. . . we’re all big brains

Not really, there’s plenty who’d agree. It’s just wrong, however.

The less talk about dogging the better.

2 Likes

is dogging the same as docking?

3 Likes

Someone please explain this to me. I struggle to understand why’s there the link between people being in instanced zones and ERP’ing. If we ever get player housing, will RPers be also be called out for using it because they may ERP with someone there?

3 Likes

A lot of us have a strange paranoia of being somewhere for too long in case someone is like “ermgerd erper!!!”

1 Like

I think this is a reason why several zones are avoided, (e.g Elwynn/The Bazaar). Which is a shame, The Bazaar is the most aesthetically pleasing part of Silvermoon.

4 Likes

As a nordic person, I’m okay with this.

This is a hefty revelation

5 Likes

We will pay back the Alliance for their betrayal a thousandfold. We will never forgive and never forget.

I love people who RP like Oblivion dialogue.

STOP! You violated the law!

Have you heard of the high elves?

By Azura, by Azura, by Azura, it’s the Grand Champion! I can’t believe it’s you! Standing here, next to me!

2 Likes