Unpopular Opinions

It’s going to be very hard to get people to do that, but I say they would have a valid reason not too get scared. Fear is of the unknown, and I would say people would have defiantly gotten used to death knights, it also doesn’t help that you always see some around SW.

Demon Hunters? Not sure about that one, I mean legion is over but that was fairly recent. So I guess it depends on the person.

If you want people to get scarred of Death Knights or Demon Hunters in combat At least is too roll. Sidenote: Ignore SW Guards, they’re on a bit of the special side.

2 Likes

Fear might be of the unknown, but it is also of “Oh lord, that guy is probably a psycopathic loonie, and he can kill me just by looking at me.”.

1 Like

understatement of the year right here.

6 Likes

True, but I think the Alliance citizens have been through so much war and chaos it that this is their life now, but who knows?

Thanks. Took me three weeks to think of that.

This. Given the amount of DKs who RP their characters as just soldier level characters and stuff (very common with forsaken) I have no qualms with them being 1v3’d!

I feel like DKs should be given specific ranks or at least roles to befit their combat prowess but with how common the class is I guess that’s a problem…

3 Likes

Caution, yes, fear, no. If they are constant city dwellers, then they are clearly low tier DK’s or DH’s, the ‘Runts of the litter’ if you will, so whilst by their nature they are inherently unsettling, they are not the howling engines of bloodstained unholy wrath that a proper Combat Death Knight is, or the Steely determined acrobat of death that an active Illidari is.
The ones that dwell in cities are kind of like those guys who were in the army, like, 20 years ago, but now just sit in the pub, but constantly tell people they were in the army and how hard they are, whereas everyone else is like “Yeah, you used to be”

You’d still be like “I bet that guy knows how to fight, or knew how to fight,” but you wouldn’t be -afraid- of them.

As the saying goes ‘Familiarity breeds Contempt’. If people want those sort of characters to be scary, then they should act scary, and scary is not picking fights at random as if you were a Chav in a pub car park. Scary is implied menace.

Scariest character I know? (Lovely person OOC from the brief chats I’ve had with them) A certain Blood Elf Warlock, who wears menace like a cloak around him. I’m reasonably sure Brigante could snap him like a twig in a physical fight, and I have never seen him summon anything more than an Imp, but he has built up a mystique around the character over -years- (and I mean -years-, like, older than the Ashes of Draenor campaign for those who remember).

I have not once, seen them attack another character physically, politically yes, I have been on the end of their scathing words, and vice versa in Conclave, yet everyone is still unsettled by them. The unspoken menace is that everyone knows, or -thinks- they know, that said individual is very- very- powerful as a Warlock, but nobody wants to be the person to test that theory That’s how you instil menace and get across the idea you are scary, not simply by -being- a DK or DH, but playing to the implied threat, so much so, that you never need to make the threat -real-.

If more people did that, people would find them scarier.

5 Likes

Allied races are amazing feature in terms of lore.
To be more specific, I mean allied races that are introduced in their respective expansion´s zones (so not races created for specific purpose of being allied race like void elves or races that are part of their main race like Lightforged or Dark Irons), for example Nightborne, Highmountain and possibly vulpera/mechagnomes.

Existence of allied races means that we may finally overcome the issue of races being one-expansion only features that don´t ever get their lore developed further. Think about it. How many races we met over the years that disappeared from the story afterwards? (outside of some minor mentions)
Arakkoa haven´t been a thing since TBC (I don´t count WoD, since it´s alternate universe). Tuskarr, taunka, vrykul, tol´vir, hozen, jinyu, all these races, some of which actually joined the Alliance/Horde were in their expansion and then they disappeared. Even vrykul, who can be found in Stormheim, are different kind than the ones we saw in Northrend. Island Expeditions are often the first time we get to see some actual presence of these races outside of one or two odd members.
Now let´s look at Legion. We are introduced to new kind of tauren and elves…and they become allied races. Suddenly, their leaders are part of next expansion´s story and we see them interract with the world further.
I think it can be said with pretty big certainty that if allied races didn´t exist, these two races would just remain in their zones, with no further development in years (if ever).

This is why allied races are amazing, because even though we will never get to a point where every new race gets developed further (for example sethrakk, who I doubt will become allied race), others we meet in the expansion will join us and continue to be relevant.

2 Likes

Liking allied races isn’t really unpopular.

What is unpopular is the grind to get them.

But there’s a difference between humanely killing cattle for steak and eating some animal alive/draining it while alive and conscious.

Yeah I’m certain that Azeroth is full of humane killing where they gently put the animal to sleep before painlessly killing it.

Not like they frequently send you out to murderhobo dinner for a bag of gold and whatever green item they’ve got lying around or anything.

https://www.wowhead.com/quest=86/pie-for-billy Never happen!

2 Likes

Irrelevant to the point. Slaughtering livestock or hunting is something that high elves / blood elves always did.
But I doubt they went to the animal and began eating it / slicing off slices of meat while it’s alive, which is what I believe what the High Elves viewed draining creatures for their mana is like.
The comparison Brigante put forth is, in my opinion, not valid.

I’m going to assume this is a certain Blood Elf Warlock guild leader, then I know who you mean.
An absolute mystery indeed, I don’t really get the chance to interact with them.
But I wonder, if this is the person I think it is, would you view them the same way if they weren’t a guild leader?
I think that being a guild leader and having followers adds a lot to a character’s reputation.
Do you find any guildless characters, or characters that you’ve only met once, menacing as well?
Or does the menace come not only from the implied menace, but other factors, ooc factors?
Menace in RP is an interesting topic!

1 Like

My unpopular opinion(s):

• All guilds are just as bad as the other. They just think they are -the- guild that does it right, trashtalking other guilds that think exactly the same way as they do.
  • Stormwind and Orgrimmar are good roleplay hubs. You know, you can actually find roleplay there if you just feel like it. No need for long searches and checks if other hubs happen to have people there tonight.
  • The Burning Crusade was a good expansion. I want the threat to flying mounts back, give me AA weapons to make certain areas difficult to fly over.
  • Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire, are bad. Like, really, really bad. My dislike can’t be expressed on these forums.

You have me so divided between liking, and not. I agree with exactly half of those points and will give only 1 spoiler:

definitely true, excluding some extremes (cant come up with examples)

1 Like

I do think towns, and capitals especially, should dismount enemy players that try to fly over them. Survivable with any sort of slowfall/glider, but stops people from just hovering overhead.

3 Likes

Actually, its not naming and shaming if you are saying nice things, so yes, I mean Tal’enthiel, and it isn’t the fact they are a guild leader, I mean -I’m- a guild leader, its more the portrayal of the character, to paraphrase a certain British Prime Minister “If you have to -tell- people you are powerful, then you probably aren’t”. He has never threatened, never raised his voice, never boasted of his power, and so he remains that enigma, for all we know he could be some rubbish tier imp- peddler, but as I say, no one wants to test that.

I have encountered unguilded characters who carry that similar level of menace, yeah, a Troll in Orgrimmar who was a fortune teller, and made some bleak predictions, Predictions that were actually upcoming plots for the Sun Hawks, that nobody knew but me. It was unsettling to the max, I was like “Has my Psyche went off and opened up its own account and made a character? If so, they need a slap, as it will come out of my bank account…” They were just going off basic ‘social Engineering’, but it proper came across as creepy. Never saw them again, but that was really spooky.

Yes Please! So much this!

1 Like

Took the words right out of my mouth, didn’t know how to properly word it.
It’s for this reason that I keep my death knight out of Stormwind and any other major hubs, unless he has an -absolutely- valid reason to be there ( though tbh I also rarely play him these days due to him not being involved in the faction-war, 8.2 shall be his grand moment).

And I found this to be true IRL too, the ones who know they are strong, do not need to boast about it.

Is that where GoT got it from? I recall Tywin Lannister saying the same to Joffry.

Unless you are actually powerful and threaten weaker beings (such as what Demons tend to do, or evil warlords)

It’s been a pretty common observation since mankind started articulating such in writing and probably even prior to that, whether it be expressed in an expecially florid or spartan way.

I was paraphrasing Margaret Thatcher spits

“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.”

3 Likes