Unreal Engine 4 in wow

I cant describe with my words about Unreal Engine 4 in wow. I just can say it is so amazing and it looks so realistic. If you make world of warcraft 2 or another new MMORPG, Unreal Engine 4 would be great for the future. I love it! :smiley:

3 Likes

and only a small faction of current wow players can support this software. not everyone lives in the west where you pop out sli3090titans on pcs like its popcorn

7 Likes

Problem is there is a massive difference between a nice fancy video like this and an actual working gaming environment. We saw some of the problems with the current game with how the back end engine handles hits, misses, mana, health, position of mobs, position of allies etc

Add all that and it is far more difficult than a lot of people think to make a working game. Not impossible, but difficult.

Cloud gaming is the next evolution jump in gaming. Only then will we see MMO’s graphics and back end not mattering as much.

pretty sure most pcs would explode if we had an mmo of this.

one of wow’s benefits is that it can run on even the worst laptops/pcs

4 Likes

That map is created for demonstration purposes.
It will not run realtime when you add players and npc’s ,not even on best machine out there.

1 Like

Now show me real time, 30 man raids under those “realistic” textures.
Or 40 vs 40 BGs. Even 15 vs 15 BG’s. It looks a mess. I hate “realistic” textured MMOs.

4 Likes

Everybody does but you will need 4-5 supercomputers like those NASA has to run it in a raid that everybody spams abilities.

Its like shaking a glass globe and gorgeous snowflake’s fall down slowly and peacefully AKA just a dream :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Doesn’t really fit WoW’s style, they way it is now is very iconic and different from many other games so. I’d personally hate if WoW was with such graphics, as i never play game with high graphics to begin with.

1 Like

I prefer WoW’s style.

That looks visually stunning in its own way, but soul-less.

WoW’s style has soul to it. It’s unique compared to how many online games that go for the CGI general look.

6 Likes

You’d probably need to SLI 3x Nvidia 30XX cards and even then it would choke in a raid for 40+ people.

Anyway, generic computer graphics like that have no soul. WoW stands out and draws many people in for how it is.

Very, very much this.
If you showed me screenshots of landscapes from 10 different MMOs, chances are WoW would be the only one to stand out to be honest.
It’s heavily stylized as opposed to “generic bland and kinda sad-looking photo-realism that will age incredibly poorly”.
Those kinds of games also have textures that look “cold” all the time, much dislike.

3 Likes

Yes it would age poorly.

Look at an anime/cartoon from the 90s and a movie with a lot of bluescreen from the 90s.

The cartoon/anime will stand the test of time for numerous reasons, but the bluescreen’d movie will look laughable in a couple of years, let alone survive decades.

2 Likes

WoW shouldn’t look realistic, first of all. None of Blizzard games ever did or do and it is a choice. They even tried more realistic graphics style(by 2000s stanards) in early WoW builds and it just didn’t feel like warcraft. Secondly engine by itself won’t make anything look realistic. In order to achieve that you need actual graphical assets that have that look and proper shaders and you can achieve that look in any graphics engine. Peopole overestimate unreal engine, it’s just a graphics engine, all it does is rendering stuff you want on the screen the way you want it.

Now, can you even make mmo in unreal engine, how is the networking done there? How well does it handle hundreds of players on the screen. Things like that can be quite limited in this kind of ready made game engines. You have much more freedom and much better control over how your engine works if you make it yourself. Also you don’t have to share percentage of your profits with Epic Games.

Great, amazing graphics aren’t the big selling point of games nowadays. People care more about the gameplay. Bit outdated graphics make your potential market much bigger because not everyone can afford newest Graphics cards or newest Consoles. Just look at Minecraft, Fortnite, Among Us, Fall Guys, they’ve become very popular and don’t have realistic graphics, don’t have the best graphics.

2 Likes

eh i would rather they updated all the outdated texture for the old expansions :stuck_out_tongue: and make all the old outfits match the current gen wow

3 Likes

Funny how the “new engine/unreal 4 engine” folks for get this is indeed the case, as well as the fact that you would need about cutting edge processors, at least 32 gigs of ram at max speed and at least 1 TB ssd requirements in order for their pc to not either melt or blow up.

With SL it requires a bit more than a potato to be able to run, but it’s manageable.

1 Like

I can’t see Blizzard paying to use a 3rd party utility like UE4 for any of their games.

There will probably be some settings so you can turn down the graphics to match your crappy setup.

i like wowÂŽs style, very tim burton ish.

2 Likes

That does look pretty, but I really prefer WoW’s graphic style. It just screams fantasy to me, don’t know. If I woke up tomorrow and logged in to those Unreal 4 graphics, I’d actually be pretty mad at first, then sad, then Id lose any feeling that I’m actually playing WoW. Quite weird. :sweat_smile:

Don’t want to ruin your Unreal 4 fantasy, but if Blizz was gonna make WoW 2 they would most likely use their own engine.

1 Like