Upcoming Item Level Increase

Raid Finder (and Mythic) difficulty for Crucible of Storms will open next week, April 23. Similar to Battle of Dazar’alor, you will need an average item level of 350 to queue for it. To help ensure players get raid ready, we are increasing the maximum item level for certain World Quests rewards. This will include the following:

• World Quest rewards will go up to ilvl 370 (from 360)

• Emissary equipment will go up to ilvl 395 (from 385)

• Emissary Azerite Armor will go up to ilvl 400 (from 385)

• Against Overwhelming Odds (when available) will go up to ilvl 395 (from 385)

Once the update is live it will affect active rewards like the Emissaries, so you may want to plan for when you will turn those in.

Is this an out of season April’s fools joke? Invalidating not only normal raid tier, but heroic now too. Hell I don’t even raid, I do m+ sometimes, and now even that isn’t all that relevant. Are mythic raiders the only ones that matter now? They are only ones that can progress their characters? Screw everyone not doing Mythic raiding right? You ruined social aspects, you ruined PvP, now you ruined gear too completely, what’s left? When will you stop messing up your own game? You made something that could’ve lasted for decades and you’re continuously bringing it down. Stop with these “catch-up” mechanics, it does nothing but remove the will to grow and push our limits, we’re not going to raid mythic, most of us won’t, let us grab onto what we can reach and say “I did it, I made it.”.

23 Likes

Catch up mechanics have been around since TBC…

8 Likes

Point 1 catch up mechanic in TBC that gave raid ilvl loot mid season, there’s 2 months to 8.2, and heroic tier is invalidated. Point me to rewards that gave Black Temple loot during Black Temple tier. Daily quest rewards that gave that loot.

2 Likes

Don’t you need to be close to 400 ilvl to receive 400 ilvl rewards? It doesn’t invalidate anything. People that will be getting 400 azerite pieces will most likely scrap them for Titan Residuum.

11 Likes

its funny that you somehow ended up blaming “mustique” raiders in the end :joy:

its other way around, super casual players who spend 2 hours a month playing the game but - quoting - “pay same 13 euros” wanted to be as well geared as everyone else :)) that includes having all cosmetics and what not

so there you go.

4 Likes

World quests and emissary chests still give rewards based on your item lvl.
As for catch-up mechanics in general, before they were mostly there if you already had a max lvl. MoP with it’s account-bound gear, same for legion.
As for the other expansions, the ICC dungeons gave better gear than Naxx did.
I do agree that the speed at which the older raids become irrelevant is rather high.
I’d love to see the reintroduction of raids weekly quests. Like you had during Wotlk.
Kill boss “bla bla” in Raid “something”, giving you titanium residue or something, so that there is no instant reward and you can choose whether to save it for the expensive top lvl gear or spend it on the cheaper weaker gear.
I know IE (island expeditions) already do this in a bit of an rng way, however it feels more appropriate to use raids for this, imo.
To me IE’s are for azerite power and collection items. Not for hoping to get raiding gear currency.

What about the gear from filling conquest bars? On some chars i spent alot of time filling the bars 10 times so i could actually get gear from pvp that i could use.

Seeing how blizz treats pvp this expansion i get the feeling pvp will be the only place that wont have this ilvl increase and will be made even more irrelevant

4 Likes

Yeah, but not to the degree where every single slot can be filled with items of raid level quality from one of the most recent raids.

There’s no reason to bother with normal BoD, anything below a M+10 and gear before duelist/glad range in PvP from a reward standpoint with these changes, outside of trinkets and maybe azerite pieces/residuum.

3 Likes

Agree completely with the OP. There is no reason to be handing out ilevel 400 gear just for doing world quests. This is not about ‘catching up’, 8.2 is not even live yet. There is nothing to catch up; BoD is still current content.

I accepted and expected my items I’ve earned to become meaningless when 8.2 arrives, however this is too much. You are undermining the rewards for doing raid content.

This is what fuels feats of strength and ‘only available temporarily’ stuff is becoming so desired, because in this day and age of WoW, it’s the only thing you can obtain that has any lasting meaning.

7 Likes

Undermining gear? I find that an odd argument to be honest. Titles/mounts/cosmetics are all more ‘plush’ in my opinion. Anyone can get gear seeing as anyone can buy a boost to get said gear…I don’t raid and I’m only 393 ilvl. I could easily spend a few quid on extra gold and get myself boosted week on week to get the same gear you got. Does that undermine your gear?

That’s an ilvl that already makes normal BoD, M+ before a +7 and rated PvP before rival meaningless to you in terms of gear rewards.

It doesn’t undermine the gearing process as a whole to the same degree that these ilvl changes do. Buying boosts week on end gets expensive unless you’re one of those playing the AH or consistently buying tokens.
You can also simply buy boosts to get cosmetic items but those are a one-time purchase only, so by your accord then anyone can get those as well, making them meaningless.

Using boosts as an excuse for this is such a poor thing to do because you completely disregard the larger majority who do this content out of wanting to with others. I could’ve bought my CM gold completes but i chose not to because it wouldn’t feel like an accomplishment ingame. In a similar fashion i want it to fee like doing grouped content leaves me with a more meaningful progression than simply completing WQ’s and other, to me, menial tasks. This change lowers that gap and is part of why raider.io becomes an issue to some.

I care about this because it invalidates progression to a degree that i haven’t seen before in the game. Instead of having players catch up to the ilvl of the previous raid tier (no, BoD is not the “previous” raid just yet when both it and CoS were proposed to be part of the same tier), then we’re now at a point where only mythic BoD offers a substantial upgrade along with the weekly chest for doing a M+ 10 or hitting Duelist/Glad range. CoS doesn’t offer the range of items that allow it to completely stand alone as a raid in that regard.

It’s not a direction i like seeing the game go in. A part of a RPG is having a good progression with rewards corresponding to the difficulty of the content you’re doing. In the case of WoW it’s finding and setting up groups, as opposed to doing things entirely solo, and doing steadily harder content, instead of doing the same things over and over again with no challenge to it. This change goes against this because it isn’t catch-up anymore, it’s a gear progression alongside content that’s harder and more demanding of the player to do.

5 Likes

Well not that I usually mind “catch up” mechanics. But since Legion(unless it’s WoD) the catch up’s have gone to the extremes. The whole gearing have been put out of bounds. Catch ups should be solved by "new content" not a overall increase of old content.

A proper catch up whould had for example badge vendors and these vendors increase the ilvl’s over time. So if the “badge vendor” who did not exist in 8.0 whould had started at 355 for dungeon badges and 375 for mythic+/Raid Badges, have It’s dungeon badge gear increase to 375 and top end to 400 in 8.1 people whould after a few weeks of farming old content Uldir, Appropiate level mythic+ etc. be able to catch up to the new tier.

But they have decided to do this poorly altogheter, so I don’t really get bothered… here have ya gear I don’t care.

3 Likes

I think we’re blurring the issue here. Paying to be boosted is your choice and if that’s what you enjoy then more power to you. But ‘most people’ don’t get boosted by paying gold to strangers, because they want to just play the game as intended. Helping friends along the way is part of the social aspect of WoW which I don’t have a problem with. The argument that we should just throw high ilevel gear around because ‘a few people can pay to get the gear, so let’s just give it to everyone in a blanket change’ is not reasonable.

We are talking about is getting heroic quality/M+10 gear from dong world quests.

People respond by saying catch up mechanics have always been present. My response is that catch up mechanics is bypassing old content, not current content. The changes Blizz have announced are not catch up mechanics and should wait till 8.2 is live before introducing.

3 Likes

Emissaries and WQs give 5-10 higher ilvl of loot, so no you don’t need 400 to get 400, at 390 ilvl you can get 400 azerite, and at 360 you’ll get 370 WQ rewards, so even azerite quests will give 370 pieces rather than 355, there goes mythic0, if you thought it was hard finding groups now (0-3 groups unless peak times) wait until this.

Not blaming mythic raiders, saying they’re only ones who have it well with reward system, everyone else basically has no rewards to aspire to, why bother with anything if you can just do emissaries, WQs and warfronts?

And yeah i agree Bukachu that there’s entitled people and it’s shame Blizzard caters to them, by giving them stuff they ruin the whole concept of the game for everyone else. Those people will either play or they won’t regardless of whether they get free gear, it’s the people who play daily, whenever they can find some time, they should consider more.

Emissaries should not be giving mythic9 ilvl rewards (bout heroic raid tier), or 675 residuum reward, and WQs shouldn’t be replacing mythic0 entirely. Game was dumbed down to “log in and do WQs for your fancy reward”.

I can’t say I’m surprised. We get +30 ilvls with every tier so casual player who got his welfare gear from emissary can feel like he’s the most powerful hero in Azeroth. wake up blizzard

3 Likes

There was same thing in early December, with 40-50 days left on season, they put in incursions that give 370 items, which was heroic ilvl, basically geared 375 on paladin in a week, just emissaries, warfront and incursions. Now it’s 2 months before next season, and they’re already invalidating everything, they’re basically saying “Next season is coming, don’t bother, here do some emissaries to catch up if you haven’t”.

This entire expansion feels like a scuff fiesta. We started with wotlk dps (numbers) and by the end of expansion we’ll be doing WoD dps. I could write another essay on how do I feel about wow but 1) nobody will care 2) no matter how bad the game is I will resub anyway as wow is the only game I play.

I need to contact some kind of psychiatrist or maybe hypnotist to help me get out of this addiction.

7 Likes

The 400 ilvl rewards will only be available to those already at 392/393 ilvl (385+7,5). That means they must’ve already done heroic or mythic BoD, or mythic+ to reach that ilvl. The rewards will not be much relevent to them as they will only need a few pieces to complete their 400+ gear set.

1 Like

Untrue. Because of rewards with much higher ilvl boe prices will drop by a lot and you will be able to buy 370-400 gear for a pocket change.

I had hopes for 8.2, some nice changes, but I can see they’re just going to keep throwing more free gear around, so not really worth sticking around waiting 2 months for same thing more or less. Best to come then for a week or two to check what’s new. And of course they’ll stick with crossrealm and sharding indefinitely, which is also a downer.

If you did just warfronts and emissaries since start of season 2, you’re around 395 at this point, so with this increase, can get to 400 easily, and then we’ll see some more: “I’m 400 ilvl but I don’t get invited to this” and this pushes low/mid tier requirements even further, you’ll need 390-395 for normal raid, 385+ for mythic0.