Video driver crash in World of Warcraft with AMD video cards (7900 XTX) on DirectX 12

I also get that. Maybe is normal

Did anyone get their crashes fix on DX 12 after the 24.1.1 Driver update on AMD?

The best way to get the attention is to use the bug report tool on the AMD drivers. Given previous communication in the past few years, it is the best wasy to get the attention of the driver team.

Top right of the control panel for AMD.

As in the actual GPU option in game just says “low power” where it would normally say “AMD RX 7900 XT” for example? What card are you using?

I cant say I have seen it say low power on mine. As far as World of Warcraft is concerned you are still just running standard dx11 and its your card/the driver that knows its actually vulkan so the DXVK fix should not do anything like that.

This method is just one that I thought to try (and happened to work real nice) coming from Linux so using DXVK in this specific use case (under windows and with WoW specifically) is very very untested so I would not rule it out as a posibility. Though its worth noting that when I was running the game under linux with both VKD3D and DXVK I never had that either.

Are you sure it did not say that before? Also is the performance OK and in line with what I described in my guide?

I just got back from holiday tonight so I will have to check my game tomorrow. I am 99% sure mine just says my display adapter name though, which is " RX 7900 XT".

With normal directx11 and 12 it says “Amd Radeon 7900xt” and with ur fix it says “Amd Radeon 7900xt (low power)”. With that said the performance is better than x11(close to x12) and i only crashed once in 3 days, and that crash happened early day 1. Gonna see today if wow are still using full power from gpu even tho it says low power tonight. Thx for the fix and taking ur time writing a guide for us!

Thanks man, this seems to work(around) on my 7900XTX.

I have DX12 performance but the game looks a bit sadder and sometimes I get micro stutters. DXVK is hitting my GPU harder than DX12 was, my temps are higher and I can now hear my GPU fans. The life of a peasant
 buying a top end card to downgrade to an API version from a decade ago

I opened a ticket with Blizzard and they ‘acknowledged’ that it is an ‘AMD driver issue’. AMD isn’t acknowledging it either in their official forums or release notes after, what probably are, thousands of bug reports over the last year. We are just being passed around like sheep. Getting the money out of our pockets is nice!

“No king rules forever, my son”

According to some guy on the AMD forums it solved issues for him, but with limited testing. Gonna install it and hope it gets better. Had 2 m+ runs where in the worst of times the game crashed, causing a wipe (being the tank)

just installed it. like before i had to wait 4:18 till the game started the first time. then when selecting a char i noticed it being " build" up
 that happend to all my chars once. then when i entered valdrakken i noticed fps drops for about a minute and everything was ok.

It kinda reminded me of gaming on linux where the shaders had to be compiled

The AMD Profile i used was performance, Eventhough AMD defaulted me to HYPR-RX Eco

Noticed a 4-8 fps difference in using the two, but that might just have been NPCs walking

It doesn’t fix it. The game still crashes in DX12.

I do not think Blizzard or AMD cares at this point, sub expired now no way i will re sub without compensation.
Hopefully Microsoft will clean up at Blizzard.

2 Likes

I suggest that you all open a case with AMD Customer Support, they have a form on their support page and a human will contact you about your issue with some troubleshooting steps. I am already in this process.

More of us hit AMD with support requests, more visibility this issue will get
 try Twitter as well

2 Likes

Speaking of stability anyone playing palworld ? 46.4 hours early aces game with small budget on unreal engine 5 zero crashes at all
This team doing better then Blizzard does currently on this game, get your crap together already and get wow fixed, and get devs to play palworld on break the game is huge inspiration probably for stuff players want in wow.

1 Like

have play wow alot over week now do LFR and HC runs with guild and alot +18 runs on my lock on DX12 + RT and no crash any more.

knok knok on table

pc set up
i7 13700KF 5.5ghz
Z790
DDr 4 4400 at 4500Mhz 2x16gb
7900XTX 3030 / 2680 +15%
1Tb 970 Windows 11
2x 2TB 980 pro in Raid 0 for Games

I had another crash after I did 2 M+, Fyrakk and another Galakrond’s Fall
 in the same area, the platform of the Manifested Timeways boss.

I had big hopes after the first 2 M+, where both were Falls and I had no issue, but eventually, the issue came back. Prior to that, I did the following:

• Checked BIOS is up to date
  • Checked Windows is up to date
  • Checked Windows system file corruptions with DISM and SFC
  • Upgraded my main monitor’s firmware and reset to default setttings
  • Disconnected my second monitor
  • Reset DirectX shader cache from AMD and Windows
  • Reinstalled my graphics driver after using the AMD Cleanup Utility and DDU
  • All settings were on Default with no Radeon boost, no bells and whistles, no overlay, nothing. The only setting enabled was the FreeSync for my monitor.
  • Disabled all startup tasks like RaiderIO, TSM, PowerToys, etc
  • Only running application in the system tray was the AMD and Battle.net
  • Reinstalled World of Warcraft
  • Default settings maxed out with NO addons installed

Game crashed!

C’est la vie. AMD Customer support directed me to use the bug report tool inside the Adrenalin software, they are very funny.

My system is: 5800X3D, 7900XTX Red Devil, 32GB 3600Mhz CL18 and PSU is the Corsair RM1000x.

1 Like

Does not hurt to send bug report to AMD as well but considering how long it has been broken its probably all Blizzard fault for rushing out expansion after expansion in broken state not fixing engine issues.

Can someone please explain what their crashes look like? Is it a blue screen, just blackness and then recovery? does your screen stay black permanently until a forced reboot? I got a new pc with a 7800 xt and i had 2 crashes in wow which were black screen and with a buzzing sound coming from the speakers with no recovery. in both cases i had to force shut down my pc

I got new a PSU, new NVME.

Picked up Windows 11 and formatted, fresh install.

Reinstalled wow and started on old AMD drivers: 23.8.1
DX11

Worked for a week then last night in the middle of running a community event BAM.

“Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”

On my new PC with a 7800XT I get a black screen driver crash that recovers, didn’t happen with my previous amd setup running a 6000 series card. The crash is totally random.

Hi,

I put this thread as a bookmark to see if anything at all helps.
I was hopeful due to a new driver update the other day, but it didnt do anything.
Just now I went to to my weekly transmog runs
its impossible to play.

I went into Kara and my monitors went black 4 times. Monitors came back, 20 seconds later crashed again. Last one made 2 of 3 monitors stay black and required a full pc restart.

Problem first appeared for me with the new dungeons (DOTI: Fall & DOTI: MR) [basically Patch 10.1.5], especially the big open room with the yellow “time stuff” on the ground. I avoided those dungeons, but the problem spread to everywhere else. Emerald Dream, Valdrakken, Stormwind, Karazahn, ALL other current m+ dungeons. Tahe game is pretty much unplayable on any competitive or even enjoyable level. If you crash in a +25, yeah well suck it loser? No thanks blizzard.

None of the proposed fixes in this thread helped, none. Sad!

Please keep this thread up-to-date in case something is actually changing and a lot of us can play the game properly again. Until then, subscription is running out.

PC Specs for reference:

i9-13900K
SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 7900 XTX NITRO+ Vapor-X 24GB

Imagine those specs and not even able to play a 20 year old game kekw

Its dissapointing that we have no update on this.

1 Like