Video driver crash in World of Warcraft with AMD video cards (7900 XTX) on DirectX 12

This has everything to do with monitors going black or the system crashing… if you do not have the setting lowered for the game… you will experience these types of issues. All I’m suggesting is that IF anyone can enter the cam or at least the video settings for a short while. adjust all the settings to the lowest possible setting. then see if these system can handle it… If it does then players will need to isolate possible driver conflicts within their device manager. matter of fact, even before you attempt to login to wow, check your device manager. Acquire only manufacture drivers from legitimate sites.

Mate, can you please stop? I think we know how to troubleshoot our installations. It is not related, you might have an issue with how your Windows handles drivers but we do not. This is unrelated.

2 Likes

Depending on gpu yes around early days my monitor would go black to and then recover with driver time out, at some point it instead started freezing the system as if it was still responding playing audio but it required reset

Best way to troubleshoot honestly is play something else, you realize the issue is with the game not your system.

Yea, i also think you make no sense Cooperbrew.

In my case, RX 7600, the crashes are apparently fixed. Don’t know what it was but I deleted some folders: WTF, Interface and Cache (these folders are all your configuration and addons).

So I configured everything again, installed my addons and it’s been running fine. No more crashes in 2 days.

[edit] Nope, crashes started again :frowning:

This cooperbrew guys is unhinged, his messages have no relation to the issue at hand. Löbona is also posting pseudo fixes, those are not the issue nor will they fix the issue. You can easily go 2 days without a crash, maybe a week, and then back to crashing every 30 minutes, its all luck. I have had the issues since a fresh install of windows, fresh install of drivers, drivers without adrenaline, mpo, no mpo, all the fixes mentioned in all the sources including fresh install of wow and deletion of all the config files. Its a fundamental issue with the games engine, DX12, and the AMD hardware, there is no fix for it and there should be no fix for it by the customer. Its the companies responsibility to sort this out.

1 Like

You likely still have issues the frequency can be much lower at times, i would not think to much about it, in a couple of days it will start happening again probably.

Driver timeouts usually trigger blackscreen, and in rare case you can freeze video scheduler playing wow as well and not get a driver time out requiring reset, i got these a lot when i went linux those went away but i honestly do not wanna play on linux for such a reason.

Disabling MPO used be fixed before expansion release there where lot of MPO issues, you would get blackscreens after randomly alt tabbing out of the game, from experience if you freeze then blackscreen disabling MPO is pointless, if you blackscreen randomly after alt tabbing disabling MPO makes sense.
MPO issues can be reported on Windows Feedback hub as well such as blackscreens.

Your experience is exactly what if been going thru my frequency depends on how many times i go thru loading screen, which was a lot before expansion release cos i level’d so much thru WOD zones, then after dragonflight launched had no issues for a week then started freezing daily.

Blizzard just closed my topic saying it was AMD driver issue then proceeds to ignore it, while AMD ignores the issue as well cos its likely world of warcraft issue, which is why Blizzard says reporting issue via bug report tool can help, well if it did would not be here 1+ year later.

Its funny playing palworld for hours no issue at all not even a single crash, same in some other games.

Really frustating getting both ignored by Blizzard and AMD, its like they are in a bad relationship and neither side cares about fixing these problems.

Anyway both AMD and Blizzard are big enough companies that can fix this issue but choose not to.

I lost 1 year sub and heavily overpayed on expansion, and yes i regret buying expansion and 1 year sub, so never again.
Still waiting for compensation but i probably never get it.
I guess i’ll keep nagging until they do or until they silence me.

1 Like

The easiest way to end up in my vault of endless names, is to quote others harassing me… Thus my vault of endless names continues to grow. If the Blizzard forums are not helping with your issue, then you need to locate the card/driver etc manufacture forums or contact their support. Perhaps one of their reps will come over here and offer support during their free time.

People have done everything on their side man. It is now up to Blizzard to care enough for the issue. But im afraid they dont really care. Radeon users are a small fraction of the total playerbase. Even if all of us are affected, we are so few in numbers that the money they get from us probably arent worth the amount of effort needed to fix the issue. This is a wake up call to the people who spend so much money in the store or subscribe for large periods of time in advance. The money they receive isnt even enough for them to post an update or let us know if the issue is being looked at.

1 Like

This is still broken after 3 month of patch release!!! o.O
dx11 is legit unplayable for raiding!!

1 Like

dx11 isnt even an actual fix or workaround. dx11 still causes crashes. the game is generally unplayable with an amd gpu

3 Likes

This. DX11 doesn’t completely fix the issue for me either. It just makes it happen one or two times a day instead of every 5 steps. And that’s still not good enough. Once I had a crash mid-fight while we were progressing Smolderon. And it was such a good pull.

1 Like

you’re right, edited my post, crashes are back on the menu :frowning:

Not surprised at all, you can try run game in dx11 and then use dxvk which is also used on linux, but its no gauranteed fix and dx11 performance will still be bad even with dxvk

Trust me the issue has been around much longer then this like since before expansion launch.
This game makes the video scheduler freeze or crash on Radeon gpu’s
All Blizzard have to do is contact AMD tell them many Radeon owners cannot play their game and have their assistance.
AMD even has tools to diagnose cause of the crashes.

When i was playing sons of the forest for example i was crashing near rivers many 7900 XTX users reported this issue, i assisted devs in debugging issue finding root cause, they eventually fixed it in the game it self a shader was causing gpu driver crash.

Anyway Blizzard has ignored me since before expansion launch, if had these issues on 2 Radeon gpu’s 6900 XT and 7900 XTX tryit different PSU new ram kit disable XMP/DOCP
Test cpu overnight for a whole week, test memory overnight for a whole week.
Run various 3D stress test for 48 hours straight without issue

Blizzard likely has incompatible shader causing these crashes or shader corruption issue due bad shader compililation cos from past experience, every time i reset the shader cache and the cache in the game folder before i started a session i had least amount of crashes.

Devs should get a 7900 XTX and gpu detective heck have bunch of devs get it, and play world of warcraft daily, to diagnose the issue, rather then ignore the issue.

Eitherway i am not resubbing without compensation, imagine buying expansion most expensive edition + 1 year sub and all you get is freezes about daily sometimes more often to a point you completly give up on playing wow, cos your entire experience is ruined.

It’s Blizzard job to fix their games not mine, i already hugely overpayed Blizzard past years, and they still ignore my feedback.

It’s like their feedback is going straight in the trash can to be used for fuel for their campires, rather then being taken seriously.

Blizzard can say yeah but its a driver issue, but well yeah its caused by the game, and the developer of that game is responsible, cos they trying to brute force compatibility with Radeon gpu’s.

So yeah, RX 7700 XT here, complete new PC, fresh Windows 11 Install, Original AMD-Driver and I have the folowing Situation:

Dragonflight: runs on dx11, crashes on dx 12
Classic Era (SoD, Hardcore): runs on DX11, crashes on DX12
WotLK Classic: runs on DX12…

All crashes happen directly after starting the game. Doesn’t matter if started directly from the Desktop or from within the Battle.net-Launcher. Launcher says launching, then nothing. A Mouse-click turns the Screen black, the pointer turns into a spinning wheel. A second click turns the screen white and the Message-Box “World of Warcraft stopped working. Close Programm or wait”. Then its back to the Desktop.
Tried everything in this post. The Thing that irritates me the most is that WotLK Classic seems to be working without any problem. Any help?

Since most of you probably likely miss preview drivers and wont try them i link this here.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-24-2-1-helldivers-2

It mentions long startup on world of warcraft

It mentions no fix
It also mentions no driver timeouts, typical of AMD to be tone deaf.
If anyone here happens to play dying light 2 as well feel free to contact me on battle.net or discord Miracle#24975 Arokhantos on discord this game also has issues that AMD is tone deaf on.

2 Likes

All crashes happen directly after starting the game. Doesn’t matter if started directly from the Desktop or from within the Battle.net-Launcher. Launcher says launching, then nothing. A Mouse-click turns the Screen black, the pointer turns into a spinning wheel. A second click turns the screen white and the Message-Box “World of Warcraft stopped working. Close Programm or wait”. Then its back to the Desktop.

This is easy to fix! Just click launch and go AFK for a while. Let it do its thing. Might take like 5 minutes but eventually the game will launch. It happens only the first time after installing the game or a new driver I think. And honestly that’s no biggie, the real issue is we are crashing in-game constantly on DX12.

DX11 with DXVK works buttery smooth for me. I played the last week with this setup and no crash. I have locked 120fps everywhere.

Blizzard/AMD will not fix this, unless by any big coincidence, one of the AMD developers will play WoW with a 7000 series.

We can all start saving for that Nvidia card we all wanted but never bought.

2 Likes

I’m getting no crashes using Steam Proton + closing the battle.net launcher after launching the game. Don’t know if it’s the steam proton runtime or closing the launcher that is giving stability, but there is that.

Entire day without a single crash (from having a crash every half an hour or so)

1 Like

Some bloke in the US thread mentioned the following:

I’ve had this issue happen on a 7900 XTX and 7600 AMD cards in multiple different systems and I finally found the fix. Turn off Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling in Windows.

Search for Display Settings, then go to Graphics. Under Default Settings, click Change default graphics settings. Set the slider to off for Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling.

DDU , driver updates, clean OS install, different computers, etc, nothing worked. I did notice that running Wow in Linux didn’t have the issue either. It wasn’t until I was resizing some videos and had a driver crash, I read a suggestion about turning off hardware GPU scheduling. When I did, I got a lot more activity out of my GPU when resizing my videos whereas before I had virtually none and I have had 0 driver crashes since turning off Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling.

Has anyone tried it?