Video driver crash in World of Warcraft with AMD video cards (7900 XTX) on DirectX 12

Does anyone get an instant shutdown of their computer as a symptom. I never had them before and only yesterday i had 3 of them while playing WoW. Just trying to figure out if they are related to the GPU or something else

Power or temparature problems are the most common cause for shutdowns. It’s the systems way of protecting itself from damage.

1 Like

Had more driver crashes last night, crashed out discord at the same time.
Had to reload.

This is my third 7900 XTX as I have RMA’d 2 so far.

Still having issues.

1 Like

Sounds like you need a 4080 Super :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If anyone believes its discord here is my suggestion, try playing without discord or set discord hardware acceleration off.

There is hardware acceleration setting in advanced.

And there is hardware acceleration setting for video playback etc even av1 which is in voice & video section

OpenH264 video codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Hardware acceleration for video encoding decoding and one specific for av1
Turn it all off

I bet you will still run into issues probably, if you play other games without issues and discord its probably not discord anyway, but now you least know discord has 4 different hardware acceleration settings.

Btw i think discord stops closing after gpu driver crash if you disable all the hardware acceleration settings.

Its not your gpu, im surprised they even replaced gpu that many times, its abselutly insane the issue got ignored for 440+ days now and yeah the issues started before rdna3 release, the thing is if you have rdna2 card you can install 22.5.1 you cant if you on rdna3 cos rdna came out around december and that driver is from may 2022, altho from my personal experience this driver never fixed my issue it did change frequency of the crashes by a lot however in my case.

AMD is probably fixing something nasty with shaders now, atleast i hope so cos wow ain’t the only game that had issues for over a year or since release of rdna3.
Anyway these issues defiantly started with pre patch for dragonflight or so before dragonflight release, heck they been worse before dragonflight i had multiple freezes a day or driver timeouts, never found any instability in my system.

Crashed again tonight after 10 mins of play.

Tried all variation of graphics and settings.

Crashed and well, forget it… I’ll go play something else.

2 Likes

yes the past 3 days i ve got an increased number of crashes and for the first time i saw artifacts at some point. what i dont like the most is the lack of communication or an update for the biggest technical issue of the game right now

1 Like

Coming back to update after communicating with AMD support. At first they got me to do some regular stuff like fresh Windows installs and clean driver installations, whatever. We all know these things don’t fix the problem. Afterwards they told me to contact Blizzard and after telling them that I’ve already done so and they told me to contact AMD instead, they got back to me with this:

Thank you for the response.
I checked internally and found that this issue has been reported internally and is currently under investigation. However, there is no timeline to when the investigation will be completed. Therefore, I would request you to wait for the future driver releases and test it.
I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
Thank you for contacting AMD.

1 Like

As expected. They did acknowledge long DX12 loading time (and I assume the crashes that come afterwards) in latest update notes, but nevertheless it is good to hear they are working on it.

Color me pessimistic, but I don’t read this as actively working on the issue. I read this as “give the next driver a shot and maybe that accidentally fixes it”.

2 Likes

i do agree they dont actively work on it. ppl say that the issue exists for years at this point. it should have been detected by now

That is just an auto response, they hoping you bite and give up.
I wonder if Blizzard is still investigating, what i kind of want to know if they in contact with AMD cos that is potentially good news, cos AMD cannot ignore Blizzard like AMD ignores bug reports.

They’re probably not. Blizz support told me they haven’t received enough reports to raise a flag to AMD. I had put that in a previous comment in this thread.

They just hoping we give up, which i did i gave up on playing this broken game sub expired, just waiting for them to fix these issues and compensate me, if they do not want to fine by me, I’ll boycott them rest of my life, chances are world of warcraft ends up getting shutdown anyway cos it does not make any money anyway.

until when are we going to have to stand for this? what are you missing reports? you have 2 large threads in the english european and american forum that exceed 500 replys. you have small threads talking about the topic. there are also people on reddit talking about the same problem, and even on the amd forum, and maybe in other forums that you don’t know about. what else do you want blizzard? what else do you need for you to pay attention to us? do you want me to sacrifice my grandmother in the name of microsoft while screaming for chris metzen to live in lubber cloths so that you will pay attention to us? what else do you want so you should listen to us and get in contact with amd at once? i want to push solo shuffle without fear that in the middle of the arena i will have a block and have to restart the pc, losing 150 points and 15 minutes of desertion. i don’t want to play solo shuffle for this reason, because it has happened to me too many times and this is unsustainable

1 Like

I don’t think there aren’t “enough report” but them knowing fully well its an issue on their end.

I reported the issue yesterday and they resolved it today, I have to “check the forums” lol.

1 Like

Keep eye out on 24.3.1 see what they fix and list as new issues, they keep listing new issues on 24.2.1 as well, but keep ignoring issues people complain about, at this point i do not even care if AMD list it as issue i will still consider this Blizzard fault, cos their shaders are broken on NVIDIA as well.

24.3.1 is probably coming out next week right around launch for Horizon zero dawn forbidden west probably

As for Blizzard at this point best thing you can do is reach out to AMD, im sure they will be willing to help adress these issues as it probably requires fixes in both game and drivers, that these issues still exist after 440+ days just shows how unprofessional Blizzard has been lately.

Other game devs have cooperated with AMD as well fixing problems, lack of cooperation is what leads to NVIDIA having a monopoly which is bad for gamers, and what is bad for gamers is bad for Blizzard as well.

Atleast they are not telling rdna3 owners to downgrade to 22.5.1 drivers that never fixed issue for me either on rdna2 just made it less frequent, btw rdna3 is not supported on rdna3 so dont even think about recommending that to rdna3 users, potentially can make game more playable on rdna2 and older tho but do not recommend that driver my self as it has early stage MPO issues that where fixed since 23.2.1

Hi, Is it only the amd 7900xtx card or ANY amd gpu ? thanks.

If had problems with both 6900 XT in past and issues stayed around with 7900 XTX, if went thru a insane amount of troubleshooting testing ram cpu psu everything its not even funny anymore, which is why i am super mad at Blizzard cos if had issues with NVIDIA as well in past different issues tho but still very annoying, its also main reason i shift towards it being Blizzard fault rather then AMD however both are responsible.

Issues if had on both 6900 XT and 7900 XTX many system freezes where sound keeps going but wont respond to any input, but inserting usb stick hardware detect sound does play, driver time outs in rare case if lucky, in past when it froze i could reset the driver manually thru ctrl + win + shift + b but this no longerr resets gpu drivers, it just resets dwm.

Finding an issue with ram or cpu at this point for example or even PSU would be easy fix and desireable which is why i troubleshooted and tested for really long period, i think i spend an entire month overnight testing almost everything, even 3D test and did not find single issue which most frustating part of this.

Currently the issues are even worse cos since november the amount of driver timeouts have increased by a lot, my system freezes happened maybe once a day once every 3 days if lucky, frequency seems to rely on amount of vram i have, as frequency did went down since i upgraded to 7900 XTX

Only world of warcraft freezes my system its obviously game issue, not even diablo 4 does it
many other games i play for really long without any sign of driver timeouts or crashes even, yes AMD does have driver timeouts in other games usually these are largely reported among users, some other game devs even work with AMD to improve stability like lords of the fallen devs.

I dont see why Blizzard cant do the same, dont they want money ?
Honestly tho i am not returning even if they fix unless they compensate me properly, they should probably do that for everyone effected, for all i care AMD compensates me playtime, but only after they fix it, not gonna play this broken game in current state, shame on Blizzard.

1 Like