Want to start RPing but feel lost/unsure/anxious? I'll introduce you!

The general discord has an RP channel that people use to ask about RP stuff but if it isn’t to your taste I don’t mind listing some specific beginner RP discord there if someone wants to make that also

2 Likes

I think it would be good for new RP’ers in general to have a channel or discord to have a safe space to ask questions which they may feel are “stupid” to more experienced role players. I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question but not everyone thinks that way. Even though I am engaging on the forums and I reached out for help myself, I don’t feel overly comfortable with the idea of RP yet. I’m very much using the excuse that I need to level a bit first as a way to avoid approaching, or being approached by, a stranger! I have applied and joined raiding guilds top 200 in the world without batting an eye. The thought of applying to a casual friendly guild for RP purposes? Frightened beyond belief!

A dedicated channel or such would be a good place to link an FAQ of sorts, racial discords, and only people wanting to help can engage while those who don’t want to help don’t have to be “hassled” with the endless questions. Guilds who are open to brand new role players could also be listed there in a collective forum thread or google doc. It’s a bit daunting going through argent archives, especially when there’s guilds who may be open to fresh faced newbies but their stuff is so well put together that it feels too advanced for anyone like myself. Just as there are guilds who only want experienced role players, you have to filter through all of them too.

I wont pretend that this could be a fair amount of work to keep newbie friendly information up to date, and maybe it’s asking too much. I don’t know how many new RPers you get that are in a similar situation to me, with no D&D experience or anything. It doesn’t change the fact though that I personally think it would be nice to have.

3 Likes

Look at all this response! Thanks so much everyone who’s commented, contacted me, and expressed their support so far.

The opening post now has a lil’ list of kind folks who you can get in touch with. If any of you would like additional contact info listed, or to be delisted, I’ll do so. Will keep it up to date as we go on.

All in all I’m really glad I made this thread. If I can help even a single person then it’s all worth it.

I hoped you would :smiley: Looking forward! Good luck with the degree by the way.

I considered this too but decided against it because I thought it might feel daunting. Like, if you’re not really sure about the whole RP thing and you think everyone else is going to look at you weirdly for making beginner mistakes (They won’t), you may feel discouraged if you have to jump through all sorts of hoops or commit to membership before you can even talk to somebody. Also not everyone uses discord and I don’t want to make people feel excluded.

However.
Eristrai here shows us a different perspective and I think there may be many more who feel the way they do.

Would you people like a discord along those lines? I’d be quite happy to set it up.

1 Like

“You people”?!

But as I mentioned above, even if it’s just a channel on a discord it would be helpful. I don’t know if a discord on it’s own would be worth the upkeep as I don’t know how many new people you get. If you get a fair few then an individual discord could be nice. Those of us who are new could eventually become teachers.

And thanks! First day of classes started today so it’s all going forward. Going to be hard work but it’ll be worth it in the end.

1 Like

Maybe a new-to-RP channel could be made in AD/D? Pretty please

Personally I just generally feel like forum posts get either side-tracked by off-topic comments or buried, but I think you should do what you feel is right. You certainly have more experience with all of this than I have

1 Like

I’m absolutely happy to help out as mentor, this is a great initiative and i love helping new rpers, since i was a brand new rper very recently! sign me up pls

1 Like

If we are getting into mentorship… Where do I apply? My qualifications are mostly in mercenary rp thou I know a bit of soldier as well, and I’m, for the most part, an veteran orc rper.

2 Likes

I think there’s a post going on right now: Wclosedwyen - #15 by Firelle-argent-dawn

1 Like

Already got my discord tag in there.

I’ve added you both to the OP, cheers!

2 Likes

Thank ye mon, ye forgot to add me number thou… (Zagkush#7584)

1 Like

Fixed, cheers mon.

Also my thanks to Thodim for cross-posting to the Argent Dawn EU Facebook group, hi folks from there!

Great initiative and I would love to help out. I have … some years of RP-ing in WoW behind my belt and over two years of being Game Master for DnD so I think I can give a good idea or two as to how to weave an interesting and fun character.

To get in touch with me - Either discord with Neiven#6497 or B-tag TheNeiven#2123

2 Likes

This sounds like an absolute blast and after reading the post I was inclined to sign up for an evening of this but then I remembered that I’ve RP:ed since TBC and thus fail to meet the criteria of being new. But, this is a great initiative!

2 Likes

I’m sure if you ask nicely you can RP being new to RP and have an RP event teaching you how to RP even though you’re only pretending to not know RP because you actually RP.

3 Likes

I would find this really cute and am 100% down for it tbh
I’m up for RP tonight or on Thurs if you’ve no other plans!

All right, I’ll take you up on that offer! I’ll keep an eye out for you in game tomorrow (Thursday) evening. I’ve actually been gone from the RP scene for like 6 months so this will be a way to get into the groove again!

1 Like

This is a great initiative. I personally got my first RP experiences with a similar open invitation RP session back in Legion, on a long since abandoned orc warrior character. That one was a simple artifact retrieval from the elven ruins on the coast of Azshara. Nothing special, but it was a perfect thing to get that all-important first step over and done with. Good luck with this. Fully behind it all the way.

3 Likes

I may not have much time to help out initiate someone into the realm of RP, but I am always down for discussing / answering lore questions and spitballing character ideas.

Hit me up at Dodger#6969 on Discord

1 Like