Wasn't Azshara a bit out of the blue?

no pun intended

I last quid mid-legion and came back this month. I levelled my first char to 120 and was working through the campaign. I took a quest to send the fleet, and a few seconds into the cutscene: BAM! Azshara’s palace. Azshara. Now I’m in Nazjatar. Nathanos says ‘get up buddy you ok? bit unexpected lol but lets carry on’ and thats it.

I’ve been playing since the beginning and Azshara was always my favourite part of the lore. What she’s been doing under the sea has been a secret for 15 years. We’ve been constantly teased with naga armies, naga generals, flashbacks, old ruins, etc etc. I genuinely believed that Azshara’s big entrance, her remergence, would have more of a build up, more preperation, more spectacle than this. I thought she’d have her own expansion that was centralised around her, instead of just popping up like this.

Did I miss some sort of mid-expac build up or event, or was she actually introduced this way?

2 Likes

Queen Azshara is a “means to an end”, i.e. to let human potential shine once again. Her “popping up” is the only five minutes of fame she’s bound to get (unless Blizz needs a convenient scapegoat to slaughter).

3 Likes

Azshara needed her own expansion. N’Zoth needed his own expansion.

Whatever bfa is got many people confused.

14 Likes

I didn’t like Nazj, but I’m glad it broke up the tedious forced faction war a bit

What ?!

How ?

Azhara yes, n´zoth nope never, Old gods has never gotten their own expansions, and they realy should not get eighter, have to rember N´zoth for example was not a well known old got at all, heck if you look back the first time you even hear his name is in cataclysm, after that not much else until BFA again.

1 Like

You had better question that Kul’Tiran Minister of Propaganda, who is masquerading as a hunter^^.

Kul Tiran.

TRIGGERED.

See, this is why Daelin did nothing wrong. Death to the greenskin!

I have to disagree here. Trues old gods havent had an expansion based on them but N’zoths case is a bit different seeing how he is the only onewho actually broke free. And an expansion should have been a good way to end the whole old god plot seeing how it has been build up since vannila atlest. Also the whole point of you not hearing his name was because the theme around old gods was about mystery and the unknown danger like how many are there, who they are and what they are.

4 Likes

Was it really?

Any concept of mystery died the moment we started being best friends with the servants of the Titans, who can basically answer any question we’ve ever had about the Old Gods, considering they’ve been there since the beginning.

Furthermore, one reason you haven’t heard much about N’zoth before was 1. because he was only made up later 2. a lot of things that are now ascribed to N’zoth had nothing to do with him specifically at first. The Emerald Dream is probably the best example, but even Deathwing is a case of this. Blizzard just took the lazy way out with hyping him up.

Even in the wider world they aren’t the enigma some people like them to be, or are at least not presented to be so. The best example I can think of is one of the island expedition events, when Old God minions appear and Flynn drops the epically comical line “Ew, tentacles! Must be Old Gods!”

1 Like

We “started being best friends with the servants of the Titans” during Legion i was talking about pre-cata , where we didnt know how many there were and N’zoth was know as the “sleeping one” or something like that hence why we didnt know his name and why we never heard it before cata.

1 Like

…what? are you drunk or something? never played WotLK? hello, Ulduar?
Not sure what’s the point of discussing the lore when you’re so ignorant about it lol.

1 Like

Yes and we didnt end up being best friends with those constructs pre-leagion , heck Thorin even forgot about us again.

Yes. We lore fans are all extremely dissapointed with the way blizzard is literally BURNING away ALL the remaining villians that have been waiting for YEARS for their own xpacs in the matter of a few patches and raid tiers.

Emerald nightmare gone, Azshara used as a final boss in a patch dispite lore wise not being dead (still wasted her first time to shine!), argus wasted, N’zoth wasted and all other old gods retconned to actually be dead for good and now with shadowlands, bolvar just wasted as well despite the hype generated in the legion DK class campaign.

Meh. I’m glad we’re moving away from the Old Gods. They were never an interesting villains, since they were not characters but empty plot device. Hopefully we’ll get more Arthas-esque villains after Shadowlands. Even Garrosh was preferable to dumb evil octopus with no motivation.

…like every other WoW villain. Even those that had character in WCII-III had none in WoW. And they could have given the OGs a character, if they wanted to. They did a bit with Xal’atath. Not so hard to do, really. If you can write, that is…

3 Likes

No. Several villains in WoW had character and were interesting.

No. Back to you.

3 Likes

If you didn’t pay attention to the story it’s not my problem.

Same to you.

3 Likes