We need faction change

<Edit: putting an amendment here as it is something people gloss over>

Faction change should not work for moving to a bigger population on a server with an imbalance, it should stop working for moving to the bigger faction when it reaches 60-65% of the population at the very most.

That should refute any point about faction change making the bigger faction stronger, which is the argument that forms the basis to most objections to faction change coming in.

The point I made about nochanges being over is due to Blizzard already making changes like AV premades and changing reckoning. Therefore the stance of Blizzard not making changes is over.

To start, I think we can all agree that nochanges is over - so arbitrarily clinging onto it, so services that don’t already directly alter gameplay won’t change the experience of WoW Classic. The rule should be microtransactions don’t offer direct impact or visibility in gameplay, but function on a service level, so no vanity pets, tabards, mounts, etc, but transfers, faction changes etc, yes.

I’m going to clearly summarise my argument in bullet point form because this is the internet.

• Factions are separate communities, just as realms are. A precedent for players to move from one community to another already existed in classic via transfer, so this impact on gameplay won’t be altered.

• A faction change should still not work on a PvP server with another character on unless coupled with a realm transfer.

• The WoW Classic launch was scrappy, and this split communities, guilds, and friend groups who were initially planning on a single faction/server got split by this. This is actually the main issue here. There were only two PvP servers at launch, which was woefully inadequate. The response to add servers was not fast enough, and this caused people who were initially planning on playing together to split up and go with other people they know, etc.
    2What should have happened from the start would to have had more servers for release, with the team ready to add new ones quicker if needed. Rather than having lots of groups of people you know going on the same server,

• The further point is compounded by the initial population dying down a bit, resulting in situations where groups you initially played with not being around anymore, yet you may still have other people you know on different servers/factions.

• The Classic experience will never be the same as 2005, although it can be similar. Tying into this, a lot of us are older, in our 20s, 30s, and even 40s and above, with jobs, or families now. As a result, we don’t have as much time as we did to reroll the same class on a new faction.

• The money is a no brainer for Blizzard. I’d happily pay ÂŁ250 for a faction + server change on my undead mage.

In summary, faction change should be introduced as the precedent of realm transfers is similar, it does not directly effect gameplay, and it makes it easier for people to play with friends. Just because it didn’t exist in 2005, it shouldn’t arbitrarily be written off, as we clearly have had changes from original Classic (reckoning, walljumping, different interface options, and graphics spring to mind). Furthermore, the financial benefit to Blizzard is pretty clear. There will be resistance from a Luddite, highly vocal minority, but this would be healthier for Classic in the long run. I’m not asking for quality of life changes within the game, such as faster levelling, alteration of honor calculation curve, transmog, etc, but the introduction of a service that no one will notice as they play the game. Much as you don’t notice realm transfers from random players you don’t know.

47 Likes

I’ve seen what faction change does to healthy realms, literally destroying them over night. I hope it never comes.

11 Likes

I’d have to disagree. The benefits, racials, etc of each faction in Classic have been known, and are not changing.

What caused faction change to be a problem in retail was the human racial being made ridiculously OP (free trinket one), which created a snowball effect where communities changed to human to be competitive, then moved to certain realms with large PvP communities such as Outland.

Not to mention, the restriction on different factions on PvP servers would mitigate the issue. Faction change isn’t the problem, it’s the ridiculous and inconsistent way balance on retail keeps changing.

I’ve seen it happen, the slightest issue causes a snowball effect.

First it was stormscale back in wotlk when i was there, ally lost a couple of wintergrasp back to back, faction change was announced and bam, the ally side just died. They opened free transfers and the rest of the people left.

I was on outland horde when it happened again in mop. Human racial did play a part but mostly it was down to people following their favourite twitch streamer to be part of the “pvp scene”, loads transferred in to the ally side which left us quite outnumbered and by the time timeless isle hit people got sick of being killed and faction changed aswell.

It honestly causes more harm than good, blizz dont care about restrictions and would just milk it until most realms are 90% one faction on most realms.

4 Likes

Thing is though, that’s it.

It’s initial faction problems that cause it, which are less pronounced on Classic. The reason twitch streamers went human was to minmax, and it does have that snowball effect, of everyone moving to Outland as a human, because that was the only PvP community.

Like I said though, with Classic, the abilities of each faction are so set, you won’t get something like that. People know what each racial does. There isn’t that reason for faction change to decimate servers like there was with the old human racial (and honestly, if you’re making that argument, you could say the same thing about realm transfers, because people migrate from realms where their faction gets stomped). It’s probably healthier for Horde in terms of PvP queue times anyway if some of them moved to Alliance.

There’s too few servers compared to retail Wotlk-MoP as well. You’d get a case where people just move to their friends on other servers instead.

2 Likes

Healthy realms what? There are 2 out of 100 realms that seems to be “healthy” the rest is overpopulated with one faction (mostly horde)…

Horde player and there illusion about the game is fine how it is atm LUL

But a faction change would bring nothing… even more ppl will flee from alliance —> horde… blizzard fu ck d up at the start as mentioned and now we can see the results

3 Likes

And the solution here would be free faction changes for horde :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What part of “I’ve seen it happen to healthy realms” was hard to understand, i never said anything about current realms.

Btw my realm is slightly tipped towards alliance, so please spare you “horde are the bad guys” whining.

2 Likes

I’m on Gehannas, even with APES there is a large horde bias, and the population of the PvP community in Horde is awful, very hard to gear as a mage due to how many PvPing mages we have running MC, and I think something like 400,000 honor would get you 1000 standing here, the server absolutely needs some sort of balancing.

What should have happened is what some private realms did, lock the character creation of the largest side until it evens out more. Blizz had the hindsight because of what happened in the past but for some reason just didn’t care.

I think they pretty much proved that by opening paid realm transfer. Maybe they will open faction change if they think they can get money out of it, but i dont think they will incase all the alliance just leaves.

Or an easy solution is preventing faction change to servers where the population is already too high, much how they prevent realm transfer to realms that get “locked”.

There can be an option that opens faction change combined with realm balance, it doesn’t have to be a chaotic free for all. It can be done in a moderated way.

1 Like

agree !! bring factin Changes now! TEAM CHANGES FTW !!!

2 Likes

Boy your daydreams seems be to on lvl that causes alot of health issues… get some help or stop writing here LOL

1 Like

What?

I know you want something to whine about, but what i’m saying isnt any less true.

You realy think there is anyone that would faction change onto server with 70%+ horde as alliance? hahaha HAHAHA

And not to be mention that you would have to pay hard money for that… ok that Eggs guy could be someone like that cause hes hard on drugs

I would not mind faction change as a service. However, it is the PvP realms that need it the most

I think the take away here is every player is going to experience different issues with different realms as they all have different faction balances. Just because one server is heavily horde, it doesn’t mean they all are.

Not so sure, what do shamans do? Morph into Paladin?

It would have to be a horde only transfer, since I’ve spoken to a crap load of alliance that wanna faction change to horde. Me being a horde main for so many years, is one of them.

How much time does it take you to earn the money to pay for a faction change + transfer vs how long does it take you to reroll, relevel, and regear a new character?

And people do actually make transfers like that, free migrations have proven that in the past, regardless of whether or not it is a good idea for the player to do it.

No we dont need it.

3 Likes