Weekly reminder 004: community wants pvp vendors back

Great job with these posts mate, keep it up.
I’m behind you all the way, I so miss PvP right now, but can’t bring myself to play the broken system we currently have.

I like all your suggestions, just bringing back Resil/Power gear on a vendor would be a huge step in the right direction.

1 Like

I never played PvP, but even I think you guys should be able to get Gear without having to do PvE.

The point here though, is that the MMR system makes “pushing” irrelevant if you already have a high rating from the previous Season(s). Then you’ll acquire the same high rating (naturally) much faster than any newbie or low-rated player can “push” to it.

You’re basically getting a head-start for being good, which seems a bit counter-intuitive. You usually seek to help those who are struggling, not those who are ahead. :upside_down_face:

I kind of feel like you brought up the problem yourself there.
In “the old days” the PvE gear acquisition was limited each week to however many raid bosses there were. If there were 10 raid bosses, then you had 10 chances to get loot. That turned out to be somewhat balanced relative to a PvP vendor where you could buy 1-2 items per week.
But that’s not how WoW works today.
Today you can farm Mythic+ Dungeons all day long and get as many items as you want. If you can still only buy 1-2 items from the PvP vendor each week, then PvPers will obviously still have to grind Mythic+ Dungeons for months each Season.
So it won’t work now just because it worked in the past. The game has changed.

Untrue. The Crucible of Storms, Mechagon, and The Eternal Palace are loaded with such items. It’s obviously the direction Blizzard are driving the item design toward, i.e. more items with active/passive effects, not fewer.

How? How would you still win if you entered an Arena and 30%-50% of your items had their effects nullified?! What value is a PvE trinket if everything except the raw stats are disabled? You might as well be half-naked. You’d be slaughtered against any PvPer or player who had fully-functional gear - regardless of your skill.

So if I want to play Arenas I have to grind countless Battlegrounds for PvP gear first? How’s that going to encourage any new players to try out Arena?!

That is also an absolutely ridiculous and crazy amount of time having to spend doing Arenas just to get the gear so you can actually compete in Arenas.
If you think 15-20 hours of currency grinding is alt-friendly, then our definitions of “alt-friendly” are probably very different.

Maybe you should write this in your initial post. I somehow doubt all those Arena posters who’ve otherwise liked your suggestion are too fond of this sentiment. That’s usually a statement that’s rather controversial in the Arena community.

But you can’t swap gear if the Rogue has already amushed you.
You obviously have to choose which gear you want to use ahead of time - PvE gear or PvP gear. That’s an annoying dilemma. Today’s design where your gear is unverisally good avoids that dilemma entirely.

My PvP network is vast if I had to say so myself, and the one issue that I and all of my PvP friends share, is that we can’t get anybody to start on PvP. Everybody quits the second we say the best way to gear for PvP is to PvE.

well actually you have no idea how the mmr and the seasonal mmr reset works.
mmr is not even close to current rating.
You can gain 100 rating in 5 wins but you will gain much more mmr and Vice versa.

so ending last season 2850 in 3v3 leads to start at placements arround 2k
why should someone reaching 2850 face 1500 rating in next season. ( oh in first 10 Games (placements) you actually do that…
and sometimes it just feels cruel.
don’t say if u reach 2700or 2500 or what ever it’s free to reach the same rating again.
i have faced so many proplayers arround 2200 - 2400 mmr this Season that were 3000+ last season, it’s actually scary.

It may sound strange but if u wanna archive a high rating you have to win games. having mmr alone is kinda pointless.

Additional it’s one of the best working systems for ranked pvp ever.

I have.

I am not saying he should. I’m not sure where you get that from.
I’m questioning the “obvious reasons” for giving high-rated players a higher weekly currency cap.

The OP says it won’t matter because if you’re good you’ll catch up, and if not then you’ll also catch up(?). But fact of the matter is that it gives high-rated players a gear advantage over everyone else, which doesn’t seem to be in the spirit of promoting fair competition. And isn’t that the point of wanting PvP vendors in the first place, to have steamlined gear acquisition so the ranked competition is decided primarily on the basis of skill?

Yes, but if you were 2400+ in one Season, then you’re not going to struggle to get past 1000 in the next Season.
There’s (I’m assuming) not as huge a weekly currency cap between a 2400 and 3000, as there is between a 2400 and 1000.
But again, that’s something the OP will have to elaborate on. It’s his idea. I’m simply asking for clarification as to what his weekly currency cap is for the respective ratings, because he hasn’t said so.

Yes. And this may also sound strange: It becomes more difficult to get a high rating if those with higher rating than you have better gear by default because they get more currency each week.

lets start from a basic concept
if you want join arenas, first go practice in BG, for a simple reason… arenas are waaay faster and every little mistake you make will punish you, on BG this doesnt happens!
just for example, imagine if i want to debut in the Formula1 racing… i will MUST start by driving gokarts, otherwise i would kill myself in the first 5 sec after the start of the race! same on wow when playng arena with no experience ^^ so basically a new player would work forward 2 objectives at same time! 1- gear up 2- improve your knowledge/skills

you do not think that in pvp you have a leg piece with 100 intellect, in pve you have a piece with 100 intellect PLUS an active/passive XD disabling those stats make it fine! then, you can just have a capped ilvl on pve wich is higher than pvp and give back resilience to pvp! by doing so, max ilvl would word in a way so pvp gear > pve gear IN PVP and viceversa ^^ (it make sense, no top player will push both content… you either go mithic raiding or you go gladiator! its a fact… you dont have enough time for both, so no meaning to have pve/pvp gear with same “value”)

add resilience and problem is gone…

15-20h /played is a lot of time for nearl full gear an alt? :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: wtf u smoked bruh

at this point the conversation its kinda taking a bad way because you start acting like you just wanna sya i’m wrong while you dont even think about how the game works and what i’m sayng…
lets say that top ilvl from PvE is 100 and from pvp is 80 + resilience! f i check War Mode on, i would obviusly use my pvp gear because TO DO WORLD QUEST NOTHIGN CHANGE! you dont have to be ultra competitive (just by inspecting you, i can already say that you already do not care to be 100% competitive with BiS and stuffs)
loosing some ilvl in favore of a lot of resilience would force you to chose pvp gear over pve gear…dont you think so?

YOU are kinda counter-intuitive with this comment… ever heard of “Pole Position” ? basically EVERY sport that involve a race has this thing (guess what? PvP is a race at “who is better, wins”)
taking agaibn the example of Formula1 … if you do the best lap, you will start race in first spot, if you win race you will have more points than others so next race (next season in wow) you will still have an advantage…
i think now you understand it better and you can aggree that i’m right :stuck_out_tongue:

POLE POSITION BRAH

PAY ME or make blizzard hire me, im already doing way too much in the hope to have a better game… aint waste time to do the numbers for free, sorry XD

This makes no sense.
First of all, you don’t learn any Arena skills from doing Battlegrounds. If you did, then I should be an absolute pro at Arenas, because I’ve done a lot of Battlegrounds. But I’m not, because there’s little correlation between the two.
Second of all, if you want to do Arenas, you definitely don’t want to be told to go do Battlegrounds. Like, how’s that in any way sensible?
Like, if I want to play RMP in 3v3 Arena with my 2 friends, then why should I first have to grind Alterac Valley? That makes no sense.
And finally, what about my alts? Even if I were a pro Arena player, then your suggestion would still force me to grind Battlegrounds to get currency to buy gear with. That’s ridiculous. That’s not fun on your first alt, it’s terrible on your second, and it’s forum-QQ-worthy on the third.

I already asked about Resilience. How would you introduce that on the stat budget? As a free stat or as part of the budget? If it’s the former, then PvP items are by default superior to PvE items. If it’s the latter, then you end up in a weird situation where PvE items might still be better than PvP items, because some specs simply need Crit/Haste more than they need Resilience to function. We saw that in past expansions as well.

No it’s not. If you’re getting 1 PvP item per week, and you have 14 item slots, then you’re still forced to do PvE for the first 13 weeks. I mean, if you aren’t getting your weapon from PvP on day 1, then the only other way to get it is by grinding Mythic+ Dungeons. And you’re not getting your BiS PvP weapon on day 1, are you?

If you can casually dump 15-20 hours into the game only to do something that’s time-consuming and a necessity in order to acquire the gear you need so you can do what you actually enjoy, then you have too much time to spare.

I would estimate that I play WoW for around 8-10 hours a week. Between family, friends, sports, and job, that’s all I have time for. Requiring that I grind currency for 15-20 hours just to start doing competitive Arena is insane. That’s no-life levels of crazy. That’s obviously not going to promote Arena activity beyond a small hardcore segment of players.

No. But I thought it was peculiar that you could list sooooo many “pros” to your suggestion, but you couldn’t think of a single “con”. I thought I would point out a few for you.
It doesn’t mean a PvP vendor is a bad idea - it’s not - but it’s not as seamless and straight-forward to implement as you suggest.

Fair enough, but the devil is in the details. PvP vendor is an easy concept to imagine - for one because we’ve had it in the past. But the actual implementation of a PvP vendor in today’s WoW is rather complex (at least to me) once you look at the details.

You get a first impression of your class and other classes

In rated bgs sure, in random bg? NO WAY!. In random bgs you have 75% of everyone not using and cc/interupts/slows/roots. You have healers who do not heal or throw maybe 5 heals the entire bg. Also 0 communication most of the time because nowadays half of your bg is russians/italian/spanish. Atleast russians try to communicate more often than the others though

oh and lets not forget people ragequitting after the first minute

I’m pretty sure that can be said for anything in the game. I mean, you couldn’t make a broader statement even if you tried. :yum:

You only get matched With your language tho

I could also give you a exact definition why I think bgs are a good place to learn , but people warned about you , and I don’t think it’s worth to discuss with you.

Yeah thats a huge lie. I get so many russians/italains/spanish in my bgs, especially epic bgs

Do you que alone or with a group ?

Our hope lies with 9.0.

I sometimes queue alone and get into a group with mixed languages, from German, French to Russian players, all in one mixed bag.

All the WoD pvp items.

2 Likes

That sounds odd. Iam on a german realm and only get grouped with Germans.

One of my mates hates german alliance and than queues from a English server and we only have English speaking in the group.

That either means scaling, which is not part of the OP’s suggestion (unless that’s fluid and changing on the fly), or Resilience off-setting or complimenting a Mythic-quality item level (in which case I would again ask for an example).

If you want them to have pvp stats instead of item level scaling, then the all the MoP pvp items after the first season. It’s really not hard to make pvp gear good, it’s nothing but unwillingness because the devs mistakenly think they can make a unified gear system and keep failing at it.

2 Likes