What do you think will happen to retail after classic launches?

When the whiplash hits you, and you figure out classic will be retail without LFR, and LFG post a post in this thread saying “I’m a F retard”

In your sweaty dreams only, tard.

i spose that is a point. i didn’t start until 2 months after TBC had been out, but i remember back then (and i guess it was more true in vanilla) that people just played the game to play it.

now, for the most part, “content” is at max level. that wasn’t the case back as much.

how many people who played in vanilla and TBC (and WotLK maybe?) have fun memories, of deadmines? it was fun and that whole time period of 10~ to 25~ involved westfall and deadmines heavily.

you dont have that now. everything (98.9999999999999%) is either lvl cap content, or legacy go back and grind content.

but we’ll see in a few months.

Just imagining how sad, and bummed out you will be when you figure out there is zero social interaction in classic, my god. I’ll be harvesting your tears when that happens for sure. And the thousands of other tears from sad little ignorant players that believe it will be any different from retail.

Lol it will lasts few months

2 Likes

careful. remember this is classic. even though he has 2 eyes, he wont produce as much tears as you think.

just like in vanilla - “collect 8 horse hoofs”. you look at a horse, see 4 legs and think “sweet! only need 2 kills!” but you dont get 4 hoofs.

hundreds of kills later… ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh no, you dont get 4 hoofs… :frowning:

Enjoy your delusions, they are free and I could not care less about them to even read it to the end.

Yea, because of course people like you are going to be intolerable douches here (see the post I replied to) but somehow “social” in classic.

Sure you are :roll_eyes:

1 Like

THere was survey on mmochamp, 60% won’t even try, 30 will try a bit to see, 10% going to play classic. Forums used to attract most big mouths spewing negativity, so share of people that has no plans to even try classic is even higher than 60%. So it is pretty safe to say, majority is not even interested in classic.
Once people discover that farming soul shards or recasting blessings every 5 min is not as exciting as it they thought it would, share of people willing to play classic will drop even further.

Classic vs retail is like some indie rpg with fallout2 graphics vs divinity original sin 2. I can do nothing but laugh at people guessing classic will overcome retail.

I mean can we be real here. Classic is Classic, it was great probably the best experiecne any player could have had. Its gone now, everything is literally gone now, what made classic good?

1. The unknown territory
  2. Seeing high level players and freaking out.
  3. Not knowing where to get the best items.
  4. Farming for a month to get the best and then stand in the cities being pounded by Gold beggers are fanboys/girls saying “WOW!” Where’d you get that mount, and that gear, how much gold do you have? OMGOSH!
  5. The social aspect
  6. The feeling of achieving.

Now, to rip all of this to shreds we start from:

1. Nothing is unknown anymore, wowhead, google, everything is there for you.

2. The feeling of meeting a high level player of the oppesite faction with as little knowledge as people had back then was frigthening, today it wouldn’t frighthen even a newbie.

3. Everybody knows, so there is no unique’ness.

4. Nobody will be impressed, nobody will have a hard time farming anything like they used to back then, it was not only about the time it took, but finding out how to farm it efficiently, now there are guides and information, nobody will swarm you in orgrimmar saying sick!, they will most likely just brush it off and say well “Fk you tryhard elitist prick”

5. Back then 90% of all players were guild,less the territory were new, the high levels were frighthening, so people found each other, matching their level, and going together, nobody in todays world need that, 90% of all players have Guilds or friends, aint nobody are afraid of high level players anymore, trade chat will be spammed with Gold spamming, and boosts. Everybody knows what to expect, and where to go, best routes to level, how to avoid certain circumstances, its not gonna happen.

6. yeah, shove that up a certain place, wowhead that sht

End conclusion is, I’ve said this from the beginning, very beginning when people starting demanding classic:

Classic will be exactly like retail, the only difference is that its old, you can’t do as much as you can in retail, and there is no expansions.

2 Likes

I never played Vanilla. I started in WotLK after strong suggestions from my friends. So for me the classic is a way to see the piece of gaming history, to see the game that redefined the whole MMORPG genre.

Me and my daughter are also looking forward to the now missing RP elements, like hunter feeding the pet to keep it happy, when half of your bags were filled with arrows with no room for the loot, and when every weapon was a “hunter weapon”…

Yeah, cause I call it out when I see, I am not passive agressive clown with a delusions of being an expert in sarcastic remarks.

What I called your post was hardly passive aggressive, it was pretty straight forward. If theres any delusions, its how you think you’re going to interact with people in Classic.

You’ll start off all doe eyed and nice but I think the veneer will wear off soon enough, we’ll see how people like the “social you who tells it like it is” after a few days.

You can bookmark this and come back and tell me how right I was afterwards, but for now o/

Good riddance, dream on o/’

@Betol: Since I only started in late TBC, I am not sure how things were during the very early days… But by the time I started, at least on Alleria far more than 90% were already in guilds, because I remember both myself and others struggling with finding enough unguilded people to sign guild charters, back then one needed 9, not 4…

1 Like

i dont disagree with any of what you said really. if people are wanting to play classic to FEEL what they felt in 2004-2008 (tbc still was “vanillary” enough), they are going to be sorely disappointed. very sorely.

while i wouldn’t be “massively” surprised at the 10% number, i am quite surprised at the 60-30 numbers. i thought “as its free” (same sub as BfA) that more people than 30% would try it, even if they gave up before they hit level 10. i do agree with the survey though, that maybe not as many current players will continue playing it as we are being led to believe, hence the 10% figure. you are right, people forget that we had to refresh blessings every 5 minutes. and blessings cost an item if i remember right? or was that for greater blessings? and having to refresh seals every 2 min. or was it 30 sec, and then judgement consumed them. druids needing seeds to cast resses etc etc. people forget. LIKE some guy said above about some of the complains people on the beta putting in like mobs taking too long to spawn. i remember a whole debate as well about (iirc) whether warlock pets could be summoned while one was already out. or something like that. some people swear blind you could in vanilla, others swear blind you couldn’t.

i do have a couple of theories as to why classic is ACTUALLY coming out, but they could never be proved, and have been said by others elsewhere, so no point repeating them here.

“Haha, look guys, I’m doing deadmines. It’s great because it takes more time. Haha, look, we are CC-ing mobs that we don’t have to because Classic is unforgiving so we play it safe, haha. Leveling is an experience in itself, I won’t have ANY item that drops here at level 60 but take my word for it, it really does, haha”

“Haha, look at how much fun we are having in orgrimmar doing nothing. This is totally different than the community events I did with you guys to show off our mounts and transmogs. This community matters more because if I am a duce people will hate me, unlike retail, haha”

“haha, can’t wait to farm herbs for 8 hours to do raids that someone can sleep through. But it’s worth it because the gear you get has real value. Just you wait until my shaman has Sulfuras* and we will relive that epic video of people getting one shot in BGs”

*plot twist: No one will give Sulfuras to a shaman with modern standards

Hype for Classic is like those stand up comedies where they are trying so hard to push the punchline that’s it’s painfully cringy. First hype about something that happened through ignorance and organically getting acustomed to a new world of experiences, then be cringy trying to replicate it and looking at the crowd saying “see, wasn’t that fun? I just killed a boar, BUT THIS BOAR MATTERS MORE THAN RETAIL BOARS”.

1 Like

Some people will play Classic just for the nostalgia value of it, WoW has become so far detached from Vanilla that once people realise that there is no Group Finder and welfare epics.

I rmemeber grinding gold for my 1st ever mount and then the run from the top of STV to Booty Bay was immense…

Lets look at some of the other reasons why people might not like Classic

How many people will stay for the entire duration of Blackrock Depths (This place was HUGE!!)
AoE trash pulling was not such a big thing.
Elite meant Elite.
40 man Raid (People already struggle to get 20 people organised yet alone 40 ppl)

The thing I miss most is the thing which you can never get back the “fresh” feeling of what lies ahead and the fact that a players reputation was more important than their achievements. If someone was an A-hole on the realm word soon got round and people were less likely to group with them.

Best part is. Many are used to the wrong private server values. And now complain that the real vanilla values are to easy and that leveling is easy.

It’s kinda funny to see people realize that auto attacking while not being in danger , is not fun gameplay.

The thing is, you will never have the same development of community. You will have A community, but it won’t be what people hype through nostalgia. It most likely won’t even have the same standards on what builds a person’s reputation.

Going through Barrens and having someone tell me “I can help you with these nuts”, while I’m getting pummeled by Alliance gankers and having typed “help, Alliance is attacking crossroads” is not the same as getting into Barrens and seeing people typing “deez nuts, eks dee” like they are telling themselves inner jokes and having a giggle about it.

That’s a stupid example, isn’t it? And yet it’s the most accurate when it comes to why nostalgia can never be relived. Take the principle of that and apply it to everything.