What happened to content when levelling? Game is empty and boring

Where is the world in Warcraft - like in the title. I’m a casual player and love the wow world when levelling and at max level. The game got nothing in it. It’s so empty and boring that I’m struggling to level to max (Priest at 65). I used to love casual 10 man raiding until they removed that, then healing dungeons until M+ introduced the go-go mentality. Now I only do things outside of this and now that is gone. Dragon racing is a bit fun but other than that there isn’t much. The leveling experience should make you want more, not make you want to quit.

I returned thinking it must be better than Shadowlands, but I was wrong. It’s like a 3D MOBA game. The only good thing is that the classes I tried playing a bit better.
The hope is the only thing that make me come back. Wotlk Classic is way more fun. I will level the Priest to 70 and then leave. ALL the other big name MMORPG’S have so much content even before max level and a million things to do. FFXIV is completely overrun with content.
I realise that sure, I can play one of those games, but I’m just so baffled that they’ve gone this direction. Not much more to say really just that the casual content is basically gone. I loved WOW and feel sad that its come to this.

26 Likes

The world content given in 10.1 is pure trash and worse than anything shadowlands had to offer.
10.0 was pretty alright imo. It had enough going on to keep you occupied.

But if youre level 65 then im confused as to how youve experienced any world content? You dont unlock it until youve hit level 70 and finished the quest chain. And then you unlock more at different renown points.

6 Likes

I call levelling in the world “world content” as well. Maybe should have said the world when levelling. Changed the title. Thanks. Edited my post also to make it clearer

6 Likes

As far as leveling is concerned, it is really boring, and the reason why is not that it is easy. The reason is that the world is empty. This is largely caused by sharding as well. But what can Blizz do to have people leveling alot again? Well, they could revamp the old world, so that at least you don’t feel like you are playing through 10 year old content with nobody around, and there would also be many players doing the new quests and exploring the updated world.

Thing is, the lore team has been playing it really safe to appease babies that get offended by anything, and so honestly I don’t think we will ever have a new plotline that won’t be like a cringy anime, and that is why I almost don’t want them to revamp the old world, because although I want new models and maybe new quests, I do not trust the team to not mess it up, and I think they would make it just like Exiles’ Reach. Soulless, cringy, and very childish.

11 Likes

:rofl: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :sweat_smile: :joy:

Now show me the contradiction between two sentences.

“world of warcraft” is just in classic servers atm. Retail lost it. It got no more “war”, no more “world” and just a tiny bit of “craft” left. Haha.

On a more serious note, leveling in retail is fast and boring. Feels like a chore. And is liveless. There are like zero players anywhere you go. Chosing in what expansion to level is stupid. It should be something like 1-60 in the old azeroth, 60-70 in the current expansion.

That’s exactly how retail is. It lost the mmorpg element. feels like a MOBA game.

3 Likes

This expansion is out of content and Zaralek is already on deathwatch since the second week. I hope they offer some better content soon cause i already have to wait an hour in queue to do something in this game.

3 Likes

Ah well. I’ve got some good memories over the years.
I remember when I tanked Naxx and everyone was drunk and I ran out with one of the bosses chasing me and everyone just laughed,
-when I was a hunter noob (obviously) and trekked the whole way via boat to Kalimdor to catch a red dinosaur, I didn’t know about the tram,
-when I healed in dungeons and loved spending points on gear and build my character, when I healed the troll outdoor dungeon in Cata (before nerf) on my Shaman and got us through - great feeling!

And in the old times when an new expansion meant exciting new spells.

When you could play without the stress of “Go-Go”.
Loved Frostfire spec on the Mage and the old disc Priest, Gosh, I’m almost getting teary here :stuck_out_tongue: Thank you to the guild “Twenty Percent Sober” who I had some of the best times with. I’ll go in peace. Thank you to WoW and all the players I had fun with. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, the open world is a bit bland, but it seems to be a design choice.

They obviously didn’t spend too much time on the world itself, since they knew we all would just be dragonriding above everything.

They definitely focused on making raiding and m+ simpler also class balance at the expense at casual and open world content.

In FFXIV older activities are still viable, beyond just tmog. And so much more casual stuff to do.

Their festivals and events are awesome, i spend so much time in the golden saucer and in my FC’s house.
It just works as a thing to do beyond just raiding with the FC.

1 Like

Dragonflight is the first expac where i started actively leveling alts and not just sticking to my main.

Classic andies are clueless XD

I do think zaralec caverns are boring af

1 Like

While leveling there’s no one else, in this ‘‘mmorpg’’ I might as well be playing a single player game because I never come across any other player when leveling, and with how horrible leveling is that only makes it worse. Then at lvl 60-70 you have to be lucky to play during the right times, most of the time when I play the world is empty, no one in the dragon isles, no one in the zaralesk cavern, no content to do because I can’t solo the world bosses. I look at groups and I see 2 groups with 1 person in it, truly an empty world.

And there’s no point in leveling new characters for fun because leveling is miserable, the higher my level gets the weaker I get and the longer it takes to kill enemies, I don’t have heirlooms because they’re too expensive, which means it’s impossible for me to keep up gear wise with the levels so I just keep getting weaker, and weaker, and weaker until killing even a single mob takes 15 seconds and spending 15 seconds on a single mob isn’t fun.

4 Likes

Nah, you made it up

WoW was always about lvl up fast and go to end game content.

In your case i suggest something like Elder Rings or Skyrim

It was not…you just had Vanilla…
Leveling in Wrath Classic was amazing compared to Df.
Dont mistake everyone for something percent min maxers that rush everything.

7 Likes

You cant have full world of leveling people in game that doesnt attract any new players.

And MMORPGs are not appealing to any new / young players in 2023 who prefer to Play mobile autobattling RPGs :slight_smile:

So levelling by doing quests, fallowing the story and doing dungeons from time to time?

When it comes to quests on open world stuff I don’t remember current ones beeing much worse than TBC or WOTLK. It was a mixed bag then as it is now.
When I tried vanilla some questlines seem to not make much sense to me.

Environmentaly wise for me it was and is a very strong point of the game. With TBC being the best.

As someone who reads the quests I see some stories are well written and have even some good humour, but there is a huge shift in tone which I don’t like to be honest, but it’s more my taste more then quality of the writing. I did enjoy the ghoulish atmosphere of older wow.

When it comes to dungeons I have to admit. It used to feel much better to jump into a dungeon as it would be harder to get in, was slower pace but felt rewarding both lvl wise and loot was impactful. But this can be said about dungeons in general.

Gonna take quick issue with that. It’s still here, just not Mythic. So if you’re asking about casual, you’ve pretty much got it.

Otherwise… yeah, you’re totally right. Retail WoW’s levelling is trash.

There is a very large amount of reasons for this, but the most prominent is the fact that it’s very short or even skippable in many cases. People just don’t spend a lot of time with it, and when they don’t they’re not levelling.

You’re also constantly at a high pace. There are no natural breaks like flying on a flight path or walking across a long winding road or eating. Makes the game exhausting.

You’re also in CRZ most likely, which means that the players you do meet basically can’t be interacted with.

Your power doesn’t grow - mobs scale to your level. You’re constantly trying to catch up on gear again every time you are weakened from a level up. So a level up is now something you… dread? And it happens a lot. Not nice.

And much more besides.

It’s a big topic. Very big. There’s a lot to fix.

I hope you’ll have fun in Classic. It does indeed have substantially better levelling.

6 Likes

Really? Cause being natively from that part of the forum all I could hear there is exactly same accusations as here. Boring, empty world, bo one to do dungeons with and way too slow thus validating constant “leave JJ on forever” demands.

I dunno, I leveled 2 chars there,one when it was just released and one few days ago and both were a blast for me.
I love leveling,the longish one not super mega fast we have in retail.

1 Like