What has become of the fun game i used to play ?

I personally despise gated content, world quests running all over the map and especially warscore missions that requires you to wait when you want to play the game, the game used to be a blast to play, i rather drown in quests for a week than doing any of this, there was nothing wrong with the old way to play with quests and optionable rep grind, if it’s not broken don’t fix it with your crappy new ideas.

It seems that they ran out of original content, so its the new idea to gate any content they add behind a mindless rep grind to make it seem more important(just look at the two new additional races as well), well i can tell you now it’s not worth my free time.

6 Likes

I honestly feel they have some sort of kpi based on new mechanics/ideas implemented.
That’s the only way how I can explain to myself why does it change so quickly.
Almost every patch, not even expansion there are new things to learn and try. I personally don’t find it bad. :slight_smile:

But this egg timer paradigm they are so deeply invested in, that every activity should have some decreasing margin of rewards you can get per week after certain specific time investment is kinda sad sometimes.

For example if I complete my conquest bar every week and score just 1 game at my current rating I guarantee myself 2 items, but if I spend twice as much time after that during the same week I can only be sure to get some azurite.

I get it why they are doing this, they want game rewards to promote perma sub and regular participation from me, but I certainly wouldn’t mind if they allowed me do go no life during weekends and get less RND rewards, based on my time invested :hugs:

2 Likes

In a way, classic also was a gated content.

Not gated behind dailies or weeklies like the current version.

But gated behind walking for hours, behind killing one or two mobs per pull and then needing mana and hp, taking forever to gain rep, requiring an army of people to use professions, etc.

I personally would rather have a game where everything is convenient and time gated rather than just artificial grinding added to the mix. In the first one, the difficulty comes with the content. The challenge of doing it. The second one however, the difficulty comes from spending more time playing and being patient enough to spend hours walking around and days collecting ores, etc.

But i guess every person has its own preference.

5 Likes

You play classic huh,
Well, then it must be fun for you. I am happy for it.

Starting to play classic, and QQ-Ing about retail, is like telling your new GF about your ex, which is kinda stupid.

Enjoy classic, but don’t tell bad stuff about something many really enjoy. How hard is it ?

8 Likes

How you can possibly enjoy, rng gear, an unsatisfying AP grind what leads to more AP grind, dont get me wrong bfa has some amazing things to it, but the gameplay and grinding it not rewarding nor as fun as previous expansions, And if you didnt play any of them then you had no idea how good the game has been over the years

2 Likes

Some people enjoy having a belt across their cheeks 8-D
Everyone got their own kinnnnkkksss

Same goes with me. I like it rough and unpredictable. Meoooowwww.

In all honesty I am just a positive person and see ups and downs. But I do hope until the very last when it will all be broken - then for sure you will see me critiquing in on the forums as well. But until then me is happiii

Sure WoW now has its flaws here and there, but they do not stop me from enjoying the game? It’s kind of like my weekly retreat now, with all studies and work and all, it’s kind of hard to dedicate more than 3 days by 4-6 hours. There is something for anyone, and nothing for some. Nothing wrong in liking Classic or Retail for some aspects.

However the aspect of HoA - yea. That one can go burn in hell :J

I like this line of yours. I guess it is quite accurate.

2 Likes

Is stupid yes… but is a mistake that 90% ppl do.

Arguable. Maybe your ex has traits that you really like, that you wish your current girlfriend had aswell.

There are definitely certain traits of classic that i’d wish to see implemented in retail. Things such as no RNG leaving you azerite piece starved for weeks. Class design instead of spec design.

Only thing really discouraging me from playing classic imo, is the lack of skill required, dumbed down 1 mechanic boss fights, everything taking ages to complete regardless of it being hard or easy, lack of cosmetics and awesome mounts, lack or arena, etc.

Give retail better class and game design, but equally difficult content and it’d thrive.

Personally I lay the blame at all those you spent hours complaining on the forums about how they couldn’t keep up against the no-lifers as they could only play a limited number of hours per week. Lo and behold Blizz introduces a system where even if you can only play limited hours, as long as you could still play those hours week in/week out, you could ‘keep up’.

Personally I don’t like it for lots of reasons and I sincerely hope that one of the things they learn from Classic is to only listen to the playerbase when it comes to unforeseen bugs and just put out a game that they want to play.

1 Like

I couldn’t tell you, because I love the current game and play it for several hours each week. I can honestly say I lack time to do all I want to do.

Perhaps taking a break would be a solution?

Taste.
People have different tastes. Not everyone likes what you like.
End of discussion.

1 Like

I like timegating because it makes sure that there are players to play with every time you log in. If every content is always open player base would be smaller per activity because there would be more activities to do.

This is not egg timer time gating. Vanilla was slow and so is classic, but content is there for you to do 24/7 on your own pace. Problem with egg timer system we currently have is following: imagine 2 players, both have let’s say 14 hours per week to play. First one can do 2 hours every day, second one can do 7 hours per day on weekends. First one can progress pretty normally and do tasks that pop up to be available every day. Second one can only do 2 days worth of egg timed content per week. Second one plays exactly same amount in time but will be significantly slower in reaching goals than first player.

In normal “non egg timered” content you don’t have to play any more than in egg timed one. You can play on same pace you always do and still reach goals in about same time. You can just do that any time you want and you don’t have to log in on certain intervalls to be able to progress on full speed. You can adjust your own speed. Non egg timered content is fair to everyone, because everyone can allocate their gaming time as they wish.

1 Like

Single in 5…4…3 …2…

7 Likes

Retail is not for you. Classic is that way ---->

Here’s the issue.

What you’re talking about died 15 years ago.

Now either you go with the same pace as others, or you fall behind. There is no your own pace anymore. Back when people didn’t know what the hell they were doing in wow and everyone was bad at this game, you were right. Now there are 50 billion guides, fast leveling guides, bis gear guides, etc. Those days are long over.

And you talk about being forced to play in retail or you’ll fall behind? Did you forget about classic forced content? You want to do high end content like grand marshal for example? you gotta play 12 hours a day, EVERY SINGLE DAY without a single day of resting for months. I guess you forgot about that huh? Comparing casual classic play with high end content of wow and calling one forced down your throat while the other seems optional isn’t the way to go. If you want to compare high end stuff, compare high ends of bfa with classic.

In the end, Classic just didn’t make it a daily thing, but at least, i don’t need to spend 20 hours doing something i can do an hour a day for a week on retail.

I would rather be able to fly somewhere in 2 minutes and then finish it, being done with an hour per day grind, than spending 80% of my time just walking to where i need with a slow pace, drink before each fight and spend 2 hours doing a content that isn’t difficult, but just time consuming.

The difference between retail and classic, is that retail made things time gated.

While classic has the illusion of no time gate, while in reality you’re stuck behind the limitations of your character, making every activity you do stay behind the limit of your movement speed and mana or other resources.

Enable flying in classic and give it the mana/resources like bfa, and then tell me how much you enjoy it when you’re done with everything in a week.

You’re more than welcome to play classic. You’re more than welcome to not like the timegated bfa quests.

But it’s either time gate, or artificial difficulty adder like classic. And i choose time gate. Because the option 3 of having infinite content is impossible.

3 Likes

Yes this is what we complain here, now you understand.

I am talking about world quest and reputations and such, how are those high end content? My Nazjatar rep equaled being Grand marshall? Good to know. :rofl:
Grand marshall was not forced content anyway, it was top end thing to do for supreme pvpers who were ready to dedicate their time for it. Most people did not even try to do it. But it is good example of non egg timered content. Those who did it played long times, they didn’t log in twice per day to do Grand Marshall world quests.

Once again i was not aware world quests and reputations are high end content.

There is lot of other differences too. I am very loyal “retail” player, continuous sub from 2005 (no breaks). These egg timer things came in too strong in WOD times with some professions and stupid mission table and have gotten worse and worse ever since. I understand you like them, because it makes things easy for your playstyle, but for me they are annoying and are causing me to play less and less.

It is definately not just those options as we have seen all the way trough TBC to MOP.

1 Like

The game - either version of it - simply cannot be catered to everyones preferred way. Every single player (including myself) has their own idea of how the game should be.
What someone loves, someone else equally hate.

The game is what it is. No matter what the developers add or remove, someone is going to like it. Some are going to hate it.

Play the game if you like it. Quit if you don’t.

You’re not forced to do any of those contents with extreme pace. Like you said. you can take it casually. Rep farm when you want. Don’t do it, when you don’t want. If you’re forced to do the rep grind, then i’m assuming you’re talking about being one of the high end players who has to grind everything as fast as possible in order to be prepared for mythic raiding content as soon as possible.

If you’re not, then what’s the difference between unlocking flying in a week or two or 3 months? So when you’re talking about forced content, then you must be talking about high end players of BFA, which in that case, you’re right. Otherwise, you don’t make sense at all with that.

If unlocking flying is mandatory, then so is unlocking your mount in classic. Both take considerable time and effort. Both take lots of grind. So why exactly is one bad and the other is fine again? Because you can buy one with gold and you have to gain rep for the other?

TBC was just classic with extra balancing. It’s still the same grind and same gameplay.

And a lot of people who have problems with retail and prefer classic, started their complaints from wotlk.

If you think there’s a way to make things not time gated, and you can remain busy for a long time, without the need for limiting your mobility, resources or mana/energy whatever else classic did, as well as making sure it doesn’t feel mandatory to do, then by all means. I’m interested to know your plan.