What is even the point of fire spec?

Fella fire-mages don’t be insulted by topic name. I just can’t find a reason for firespec to exist. Long time ago i played mage in BC and later a little bit in Wrath, (never raided much) but my impression about specs was - fire good dps, extremely mana-efficient, frost - good control, can keep up with fire in raids…briefly, before OOM. Arcana - i dunno it had no DPS talents until, like, levels 30 or something, never saw arcane mages in raids and even in dungeons. But in BFA frost and fire mages seems to never be out mana, so if damage of frost is same to fire and both have same mana-efficiency, then - what is appeal, reason to play fires-spec? Did it get better, later on, when you get good equipment?

Why do you think Fire needs to do more dps then Frost? What’s your logic? Mana is not an issue any more. All ranged classes/specs including Warlock, Shaman, Moonkin has absolutely no mana issues, with Arcane Mage being an exception here because of completely different playstyle which heavily relies on mana usage. You just can’t go oom as frost, fire, affliction, destruction etc. I don’t know why mana even exists for these specs.
If Fire would do significantly higher dps then Frost, why would anyone play Frost in raids and dungeons? In PvP there is a different story: Fire being pure dmg, while Frost is more about control and a bit less dmg then Fire, unless you get super lucky with procs.
Anyway Fire is one of the top specs in BFA.

2 Likes

You just said that it has same dps as frost. So much for the “top spec”. So basically it is pointless from game mechanic perspective, right? Just different animation and no CC, but same dps?

Because arcane is too easy and i don’t like frost, plus i like the fire mage fantasy

1 Like

Well I too find entire Fire Mage fantasy to be eeehh cool? Or should I say hot?

Anywho. Especially Blood Elves make wonderful Fire Mages, both in gameplay and definetly in RP.

My greatest pain though is the fact that fame orbs that Felo’melorn used to give are no longer with us.

It was such a wonderful and Kael’thas like visual effect. Blizz gave us magnificent heritage armor for the Blood Elves but they taken something that would make it even more complete.

Still I find Fire Spec quite funny, even though personally I find myself more keen to use arcane for pure PvE experience.

2 Likes

We really need a glyph for that.

I swear every class used to have like 20 odd cosmetic glyphs, now we’ve got like 10 and most of them are for the Water Elemental or Polymorph…

I love the AoE effects, and being able to walk away as the mobs burn to death - feels epic.

Fire has an intereting rotation for a change, unlike the “spam frostbolts and the buttons that shine” sleep-inducing frost gameplay. That’s its purpose. If not for fire, I’d probably reroll by now.

1 Like

I play fire because:

• I love the visuals
  • I play Belf, and they are great looking Fire Mages
  • Mobility - really like the fire spec mobility,
  • decent AOE
  • fun to play in PVP, especially in Epic BGs (although definitely more difficult to deal with melee classes like Rogues, Druids compared to frost, but still doable - well most of the time).
  • Meteor and Greater Pyroblast - love the animations :slight_smile:

If your point is fire and frost are too similar your very wrong.

4 Likes

I read your post a couple of times, yet I was still not able to decipher what your point was about fire. That it never runs out of mana? What? Arcane is the only spec concerned with mana, and it has been that way for years.

And by the way, fire is the best raiding spec right now. It is leagues above both arcane and frost for the current tier, so it’s not bad either. Oh, and if your point was about frost and fire being the same, then I recommend that you try the rotations out yourself, because they’re not even similar.

4 Likes

They are absolutely the same. Both spec is built around fishing for the proc. The only difference is source of the proc, in case of fire it is crit. Im pretty sure you can write fairly simple macros for automating your rotations, because in both cases the rotation works around your char having specific buff. My point was pretty clear - if your mana efficiency is the same, then what the point in fire? And nobody can’t make good argument. So i guess for now answer will be “the end-tier raiding/sucking at everything else”.

The fireblast spell itself (especially when combined with blaster master) is enough to make fire distinct from frost. Not to mention that the openers are nothing alike.

You can say it to yourself all day long, but in the end, both specs would still be about fishing for procs.

Have you even TRIED fire’s combustion rotation?

1 Like

This whole thread is so absurd…
if fire and frost are the same then why ask what is the point of fire? why not ask the point of frost instead?
atleast fires procs can be affected with gear and good playing, when frost only has random procs, this thread makes no sense at all.

4 Likes

Easy rotation seems to be the point. Spam fireball until you get flame on. But that also applies to Frost, except Frost has more spells and micromanagement.

Have you ever perfectly pulled off the combustion rotation when you have all the correct items?
i would say fire is easy to learn and hard to master, like it should be.

I prefer to burn everything rather than freeze :slight_smile:

As to pulling the combustion rotation, I am totally new and don’t know when to use it, either when fight starts or after Heating Up gets triggered. I usually try the latter, that is after Heating Up, I use Combustion, followed by Frieball and get Hot Streak. Then Pyro, which triggers next Heating Up, then Fire Blast that triggers Hot Streak, and Pyro again. I repeat all this until Combustion ends but I am not certain if that is a correct rotation :stuck_out_tongue:

their damage patterns are entirely different, fire mage is burst orientated whereas frost is consistent damage oriented.

Also no dps specs outside of arcane goes out of mana anymore.

Also frost does not even remotely keep up with fire mage in raids, it’s not even close enough that it makes this entire post sound like a complete troll.
Frost mage is damage wise the worst dps spec in raid atm, and it’s not even close to 2nd last, whereas fire is the 3rd best spec in raids.