What is the point of having hybrid classes

If every spec you know and love is being rejected in endgame content that is raids then what is the point with making hybrid classes in the first place, blizzard were clueless in the beginning of WoW, it was their first online game and clearly that reflects on classes as well.

Paladins are pushed into playing holy, druids are pushed into playing a resto druid and shamans are also either pushed into playing resto or elemental, it completely defeats the point and purpose of having the choice of spec.

Before anyone should claim that this is unlucky, this happens to pretty much every player out there unless the guild leaders are family related or friends.

2 Likes

Nobody has to do anything - every class and spec has something to offer a Raid

Stick to a guild and it becomes irrelevant

Don’t walk into the bear trap of ‘best build’

27 Likes

It was well known ahead of the classic release that some specs were a bit lacking compared to others, if you choose to play such a spec you can’t really be surprised when many guilds/groups will turn you down because of it.
But if you look around you’ll also find guilds that don’t care about min-maxing everything and will allow non-optimal specs.
I do think it’s a little silly for the current raid content of MC/Ony as you hardly need min-maxing in there, but for later raids it’ll become more of an issue tbh.

4 Likes

your not pushed into anything, stop making threads the way u do and start growing braincells.

13 Likes

This has nothing to do with best build, this has something to do with what perform better and it should not be a great surprise that the majority of guilds does not allow feral , retri and enhance to raid period.

You can thank the damage meter addon for that, for example a good prot warrior is never on top of the damage meter if he’s doing his job right, his job is to develop threat and sure damage does that too but not nearly as much as skills, mocking blow, sunder armor and revenge rarely place you on top.

But because that everyone use damage meters, prot warriors tend to focus on damage too much rather than threat, i have seen many twitch prot warriors with no threat meter out.

The excuse i get to this is that they check it after the fight, but that’s no good because after the fight you can’t change what you’ve done, you need to drag a damn threat meter out if you’re a tank.

2 Likes

Link evidence of this claim.

You’re not playing a hybrid class, the evidence is out there have you been living under a rock ?

druidsofthebeast. com

is all I have to say, and yes they were formed in vanilla and pretty much cleared everything. Hybrids are fine.

2 Likes

Am I not? Your answer is the usual cop out

Because out of all the other classes Shamans, Druids and Paladins never had a solid class identity and so they likely didn’t know what the hell to do with them (something that wasn’t helped by the restrictive class sets and weird itemization) and so they went largely “unfinished” until TBC where they finally figured out what to do with them and realized that handicapping people for wanting to play a class a certain way was dumb.

This is wrong and it’s the other way around, well not quite the other way around.
The class fantasy is strong with the hybrid classes so the devs went overboard.
So they ended up with alot of different abilities that didnt quite work out as intended.

Are you trolling ? Or do you just not grasp Classic?

Folk have had 15 years to work out how to ‘beat the game’ - so those interested only in raw damage and fast clears will pigeon hole certain builds as sub-optimal

But that was never how the game was designed to be played

It was an environment in which folk could choose a race and class they liked, customise it to suit their play style, group with friends to defeat dungeons and raids and generally just have fun

So there are super competitive folk who will demand specific classes and builds - but the vast majority don’t give a hoot

Because it isn’t a competition- it isn’t a business- it’s just a place to hang out

The moment you feel intimidated by streamers and semi-pro players the fun ends - and you should stop

Because where then is your enjoyment

26 Likes

If you find the correct group of people you don’t have to worry about your spec.

A min-max guild probably wont allow certain specs and classes, that’s fine and how they want to play.

Just think it’s silly to write off every guild as the same and then come to the conclusion that hybrids are “useless” tbh.

1 Like

Tanks and healers, all hybrid classes so therefore your original premise is flawed.

1 Like

This is why TBC PvE is 10 times better than Classic.
You still had core gameplay mechanics like threat management and relevant cc in instances (rather than zerg-fests) as well as class uniqueness/ flavour, all of which were crippled in WotLK, and its moronic mantra of “bring the player not the class”.
TBC was the peak of WoW, not only in spec viability, but class fantasy archetypes, flavour, iconic and awesome abilities were added in 60–>70 path, as well as to talent trees, raid design.
Class design in TBC was simply outstanding.
The one weakspot of TBC was, well, spaceships. Put TBC gameplay with WotLK lore/ zones, and you’d have the perfect expansion.

20 Likes

Raiding is not the only endgame content. Every spec has its advantages, just not all of them are within the context of raiding.

3 Likes

Yeah, TBC is the expansion I had most fun with. But I still think Wotlk was really good too, specially in pvp.

1 Like

Wow did not pushed paladins and druids to play holy and resto - it was the players! Now in classic i play hybrid tank/healer spec. I raid with guild as resto or tank. I also sometimes dps, whatever guild needs. We are casual guild without mim/max things, and i definately got my spot in raid - even more, i have feeling that due to various roles i habe been more valued.

2 Likes

the point of hybrid classes is healing in raids and dps’ing to level up. Then ofc u got better survivability in pvp only you can’t kill people as fast… got it?

People are very closed minded when it come to hybrids. And i am not only talking about the people who refuse to bring them, but just as much the people who play them.

Hybrid means a mix of one or more things. A hybrid in WoW can perform two or more roles.
The problem with many people who play hybrids, are that they simply refuse to play more than a single role.
“Sorry i cannot heal, im dps specced” is not a excuse, you can heal just fine in dps spec, just put on some healing gear and it’s cool.

If you are the kind of hybrid who are fine with performing all the roles that your class can bring, you will be loved by your guildies, especially if you play a class that are able to tank.

Raids in classic are simple enough, that you dont need to have maximum dps roster to do them, but that doesnt mean that they should carry around dead weight just because it’s doable.
Show dedication, carry your weight, and help your guild, using the tools that you got when they are needed, and you will get far, but you need to work twice as hard for it, but thats the life of a hybrid.

My guild have a feral druid as 4th tank, its great, he dps when he is not needed as a tank, wouldnt trade him out for anthing, he perform whatever role the raid needs him on a fight to fight basis, just swapping gear, he doesnt top the damage meter, but the utility and flexibility he brings make up for it.

7 Likes