What is with these low-level tanks?

I see a pattern here.

All healers: we hate them. It takes forever to drink up every pull.

Everyone else: noooo, they’re better because it’s faster! We swear! quick glances at the dps meter

Reality: it takes longer because healers have to drink all the time but everyone’s dps looks a tiny bit better and they need the compensation apparently.

4 Likes

reality is the good players in top guilds say 1h and shield is worse and 2H is not the main factor for healer mana issues

Bla bla bla bla “git gud” also means “know your limits”.

if your limit is only being able to tank with a shield idk what to see,

I don’t know what you see either. Can’t be groups because healers don’t want to group up with 2h tanks unless it’s guild groups that know what they are doing.

3 Likes

i don’t pug, pugging is for noobs

I think this streamer / private server attitude is ruining tyhe game some what, tanks don’t tank , theres mroe deaths as a result. Theres the same problems that existed in vanilla with missing healing classes, but most of the shamans seem to be enchance - which were largely useless in Vanilla, and we lack resto shamans who were some of the best healers in the game at vanilla.

And literally noone takes any notice of threat meaning encounters such as onyxia which are fairly straight forwards and taking multiple attempts as noone is watching their threat - oh and decursing/dispelling byt some classes/people is abysmal. L2P.

1 Like

Its got nothing to do with streamer or pserver attitude. Its litteraly only about being good or bad, and wanting to improve or not. Judging by this thread most people seem perfectly fine with being bad

I’ve Tanked all possible dungeons so far in Classic up to lvl 50 multiple times and previously across multiple pservers more times than a lot of people have had hot meals.
The role of the tank being the leader, the protector, the one to keep the group from danger not only through dungeon/ enemy knowledge but through patience and diligence. to care about individual class needs and requirements. the other four people aren’t running the dungeon to merely assist the tank in his day, but the tank is in fact assisting them whilst at the same time easily fulfilling whatever his agenda may be. yes being the tank allows for a lot of freedom and control within the dungeon, but that comes at the price of responsibility. and it’s really fun!

“with great power comes great responsibility type of deal ain’t it Spider-Man?”

2 Likes

You know what’s the dangerous with this kind of an approach?
That you are correct.
Tomorrow, you dear healer are either fine with a 2H or get the heck out of my party.

I’m fine with being a bad healer and terrible player if it means I never have to cross paths with the likes of spelbatching, and those that think the same way.

I really hope you are on Zandalar Tribe, would love to see you out in the world and give you a big old Troll hug.

8 Likes

It’s the only way to keep aggro in low lvl dungeons… 1h and shield gets you very little rage

Isnt zandala tribe some rp server?

I’m not defending bad tanks and what you say in your post is true, however for this issue just type /oom

2 Likes

2H tanking is completely viable and not an issue, in fact it’s much easier than sword and board since you build up more rage and as a result can generate more aggro.
Likewise I have zero issues whatsoever healing 2H tanks when needed and i’m not even specced for healing.
It’s also makes for much faster runs.

1 Like

Make it a macro :wink:

The unkind thing to say - its usually DPS’s fault. Or not their fault exactly - but if they overgear/over level the content, you can just nuke everything down before the damage adds up.

Because all healers can spam heal to keep a warrior using a 2-hander up. The issue is when they run OOM because the mobs are not being killed fast enough. Then the tank dies and everyone dies.

This is especially true when you get a tank who has either been told AoE cleave it the way to go - or is from retail - and will gladly pull two (or three) bunches of mobs despite the group having very limited AoE ability. As people have said - it may be “faster” in the killing, but its much more stressful, and requires drinking back to full each time.

I mean, I might as well use these low tier mana potions - but they are not free.

2 Likes

Well, since that horrid experience I have had two amazing druid tanks, where I actually enjoyed the dungeon and managed to keep everyone up and happy with minimum down time.

I’ve tried two handed tanking and it’s alright, just it depends on the group setup and tactics. If you have a strong AoE group and a strong healer then you can probably run from place to place pulling and then kill the mobs before healer goes OOM. If not, healer goes oom, tank dies and everyone dies. On less AoE groups two handed is fine as well as long as the tank doesn’t go too hard on the pulls. You have to be prepared to switch to sword and board when necessary. I prefer using my shield with most random pugs just for safety and shield block being a life saver sometimes from killing blows. You MUST watch your group’s mana bars though and wait accordingly, this comes without saying.

4 Likes

I played on multiple private servers and 2h tanking was never a major thing like it is in classic. I have no idea where it has come from.

Tanking is not about doing better DPS.
Yes, threat can be difficult to keep. But not worth it at the expense of the Defensive perks.

With the 10% dmg absorb from stance. ~50% armour bonus from shield. Block passive ability chance. And all the Shield-exclusive abilities.
You are meant to tank with shield. Duh…

Also suspect that 2h may not do better threat if you’re not using threat abilities…

6 Likes