What is your character wrong about?

When writing a character, we assign them opinions and ideas, learned traits and all sorts of things that make them people. Not all of these things are necessarily correct and having the wrong idea about something can be an interesting challenge. Tell us about your characters and their wrong headed fancies.

2 Likes

There exists a ludicrous idea that trolls and night elves are somehow related.

This is objectively false!

I may be a half demon now, but be warned; anyone who dares hold such a foolish and outrageous notion - I will fight you!

Uruk believes that it is his people’s right to rule central and southern Kalimdor, and that playing sidekicks to the lesser races is a disgrace to the ancestors and the ultimate sign of weakness.

Oh boy, so many things…

My blood elf magistrix firmly believes that commoners are, by default, physically and mentally deficient compared to the nobleborn. She doesn’t intend it as an insult, of course! It’s just logical that a carefully curated bloodline would produce better far offspring than the haphazard, careless and chaotic breeding propelled by animalistic urges rather than common sense.

My Zandalari troll thinks that dwarves and gnomes are the same race as humans, only members of some kind of servant caste. Possibly runts of the litter.

My worgen rogue thinks it’s perfectly fine and socially acceptable to kill not only those who hurt you, but also their families, extended relatives, pets, and possibly neighbours.

My high elf priest is slowly learning how to be more lenient, but deep down he is convinced that free will is an inherently flawed concept. What need is there for free will if all the Good People are naturally predisposed to make the Good Choices? As for the Bad People, well, this is what smiting was invented for…

The same character is also absolutely certain that one of his colleagues, a mage who at one point suffered a polymorph-related accident and was temporarily turned into a rabbit, is actually the rabbit that has been mistakenly polymorphed into a mage.

My Revantusk troll firmly believes that the Revantusk are far more important allies to the Horde than the Zandalari.

My Mag’har shaman believes these new orcs from an alternate world are not real Mag’har because they have completely different history and circumstances. She calls them the Time-Lost instead. She believes the distinction is incredibly important.

My high elf warrior has a very radical (especially for an elf) view that the Arcane is the ultimate source of all the crap in the world. He’s strongly in favour of banning the use of magic, or at least severely prohibiting its use, firmly believing mortals (and some immortals as well) to be simply too stupid and rash to deal with it.

Meanwhile, my Vulpera mystic is convinced that baby Night Elves are found in the cabbage patch.

No, really. She is convinced the Kaldorei are some kind of plant-based life-form. She’s not completely sure about the mechanics, but acorns are almost certainly involved at one point…

7 Likes

Yeah! Just look at those finely bred, shaky dogs with breathing problems. What a delight.

How did she ever arrive at that one? It’s fascinatingly incorrect.

Marinya believes that one day, Quel’Thalas will be whole. It’s irrational, but she loves her homeland fiercely and seeing it so scarred and divided shatters her. Justifying some contrivance to see a sliver of real possibility is kind of just coping at this point but she’ll object to a fair few conventional, common sense solutions, divorcing her further from reality.

It may take centuries, but it will happen!
More realistically, the elven people will be scattered further and no kingdom may persist as we know them by the next decade. She just wants the old days back, reading by the fountain in Goldenmist Village…

1 Like

Marinya and Laurenn have that one in common, then. She believes in the idea of unity, although as the time passes and her idea of Thalassian unity clashes with the grim reality, her belief in such progressively grows weaker.

As of other stuff:

• Her knowledge of geography has some noteworthy gaps. She for example used to think that Uldum is somewhere in Pandaria, that Winterspring is a part of Northrend and Vol’dun is part of Kalimdor.
  • She has some very infavourable (and untrue!) views on the humans. Believes that backstabbing is part of their nature, that they are never truly loyal to anyone, that they have an irrational hatred for the elves and so on. Those views also extend onto the rest of the Alliance… not that she’ll openly show it unless with someone who she believes shares the view, mind you.
  • Even though she’ll claim otherwise and has done a plenty of theoretical reading, Laurenn has absolutely no clue how the “spiritual” magics (Light/Shamanism/Druidism) actually work. She’s never practiced any of those and firmly believes it is something that can simply be learnt like the Arcane, lacking understanding about the bond between, say, Shamans and the Elements.
  • In her opinion, Thalassians are the most skilled Magi and it is not even up to debate. The only reason why Khadgar/Jaina/any other human Magi are noteworthy is not because of their skill, but because of the strong artifacts/relics the Kirin Tor had managed to amass and pass onto their most promising students. As the elvish arrogance dictates, she believes she would be able to destroy any of the famous mages if she had Atiesh or another weapon that’s as powerful.

There’s some other stuff that I cannot come up with at the top of my head, but yes… Laurenn is wrong about a number of things, and in the case of most of them she’ll stick to her claim unless she witnesses hard evidence of the opposite being the case.

Tyrinne (ironically for anyone who knows my OOC views on them) despises the undead and doesn’t think any of them are capable of being good – wether they’re Death Knight, Forsaken or otherwise, no exceptions, regardless of their loyalties. Even an elderly forsaken just trying to live her (un)life selling flowers or something is bad in her eyes.

She’s learned to hide her distaste when necessary against a greater threat or such, but really would just rather avoid working with them altogether.

She’s only recently left Vol’dun and still has precious little experience when it comes to racial diversity. The Kaldorei were essentially described to her as “tree elves who have leaves growing out of their heads,” and the only one she’s ever saw (from a safe distance) happened to have green hair.

The rest is history and vibrant imagination.

1 Like

Lyth has several incorrect theories about a wide variety of subjects.
He thinks most draenei are inbred because of their spending so much time on one airship.
He has a firm belief that most straight blood elf males died during the Fall of Quel’thalas.
He’s also convinced there’s a lot of faulty demon hunters that the illidari trainers came up with an easier training for them so they have cannon fodder, then just dropped them off in the cities when they survived so they’re not the illidari’s problem anymore.
Yes, that is my popular answer for when people IC bring up DH characters so lore breaking that they should not exist.

How else to explain their numerous, prodigious deformities?

Why, though?

“We’ve purposely trained him wrong, as a joke.”

A IC justification for straight couples not existing in Silvermoon’s RP? That’d be my guess there.

To explain the overwhelming majority of couples seen among blood elves being gay.
Is that homophobic of him? Maybe. He doesn’t treat members of the LBGT community with any disdain, but he’s prone to some offensive jokes. :man_shrugging:

Better that than acknowledge a demon hunter with a pitlord bound to him, or ones using a succubus to ERP.
You could say I should interact with or acknowledge those, but when other decent RPers do, I have to address it.

Tyram believes wholely in black and white morality; that there is good and just, and vile and evil. It’s less so bound to the Light, and more so to the moral core of the Light, the three virtues of: Tenacity, Compassion and Respect. The less someone has, the more wicked they are in his eyes; the more they have, the more upstanding.

Utmost important to his personal views, compassion.

I don’t like mixing IC and OOC though in this regard I’d just take the IC approach of these kinds of demon hunters being lying braggarts and deviants making up excuses. If you ate a succubus and now act exactly like one, you clearly lost the fight and if you’re not making it up to bed locals, you fellow illidari need to hunt you down.

You’d think that’d be the most reasonable approach, if most of those people weren’t god emoters too.
It’s the cleanest to make a joke about it and move on, to be honest.

My zandalari believes that all the negative things that ever happened to elves was divine justice for their ancient conflict with trolls.
Fall of Quel’Thalas, Burning of Teldrassil, even the Sundering.

My tauren sunwalker believes that paladins that follow the Holy Light, are simply worshipping the energy instead of its source (An’she).

My nightborne believes that gnomes are human children. Beards and wrinkled faces do not prove the contrary, in his opinion these are just this race’s traits.

Nex blieves that demons aren’t really evil and that the Legion made them so. She also believes that every demon she summons is her friend.

LirĂşthien believes that despite being a demon hunter, she should be welcomed with open arms, praised and panpered.

Bonn believes that the moniker of “Daughter of the Sea” should be given to herself and not to Jaina.

Rylothia often thinks that her treaties on magic and gothic books are massively sucessful.

1 Like

Ky’nini is convinced the Celestials are made up just to mock the Loa.

2 Likes

Salarya has a god complex and protagonist syndrome; she believes she is the chosen one, born unto this age to save Silvermoon from its moral decline with purifying flame.

2 Likes