What would make the alliance more popular?

Seeing what’s happening on my realm and most others, i.e. every ones transferring horde, it isn’t new, but it’s increased.

What do you think would make the alliance popular again and draw more people to it? What would do it for you to switch/remain ally?

Remember, in the original classic, this was the problem the horde faced, Blood elves was the solution that did the trick, but they also turned re-orientated the narrative around the horde too and ensured the horde racials were stronger.

i wonder if doing similar will help the alliance? What would draw you back to the alliance hordies? And those who’ve stayed here, what will keep you here?

14 Likes

Tons of buffs .
Free months , free character transfers .
Bonus for simply being alliance :slight_smile: .

10 Likes

It’s… difficult at this point. This is the point that I was afraid of - this is the point that I was screaming for over a year, yelling over and over again for unfair advantages for the Alliance, to prevent.

Now we have hit the ice berg. Titanic is sinking.

I don’t know where to go from here, but I fear that the factions are dead - and with the factions dead, the soul of Warcraft dies with it.

3 Likes

If you can’t beat them, Join them. I play both factions

Edit: a more realistic answer would be High elves. We got Void elves (which is almost the same thing) so that should make us a bit more popular.

28 Likes

Unless they forcibly move players to alliance by changing a race from horde to alliance, Or give alliance ridiculously powerful advantages, nothing will.

The restrictions between factions , from playing to trading to your own characters, is just too much to suddenly change factions.

People would have to farm gold and do loads of stuff all over again. Unless they PAY of course for a transfer.

4 Likes

As I suspected, high elf skin for blood elves would do nothing, I don’t even think high elves would change much. Unless they could draw new players in. But then they’re just as kin option atm, not a new allied race or sub-race feature which could have drawn some old players back.

No blood elf player will switch from horde to play high elf skins on the alliance, it’s got to be big enough to motivate guilds to move.

Alliance raecs aren’t that attractive anwyay… take elves on the alliance, hugely popular race - both night and thalassian. On the alliance, they’re refugees and homeless, on the horde, they got Silvermoon and Suramar and the flashiest things.

Alliance races until 8.1 were always rubbish or less off in the story and in the advantage vs the horde, you always felt more powerful, more central to the story on the horde.

I don’t think blizzard care to boost the alliance. You’d need to make their races and situation very attractive again.

And give them advantages in terms of racials.

Atm, they really are throwing all the alliance eggs in the human basket, and I’m sorry , it’s not enough, unless they come up with 3 differnet types of human models, it’s boring, yet humans got by far the best customisations of all the raecs… it really was astonishing so far.

Yet Void/Night elves are more popular combined.

2 Likes

Introduce a rule to wold-first-kills, that they can’t be achived (or if - don’t get aknowledged) by the same account with a character of the same faction twice in a row.

4 Likes

I don’t think that this would do anything good.

While I don’t care for the mythic race, I would not promote an even more unhealthy lifestyle. Maintaining two guilds on both factions without cheating is extremely draining.

1 Like

At this point only cross-faction play because no reasonable amount of buffs / goodies is worth the loss of access to the vast majority of high-end playerbase.

19 Likes

No, but it would get a lot of the world-first ppl to faction change at once … and then thy can just drop the rule again. :stuck_out_tongue:

How does this “fix” the issue though?

1 Like

Many ex-horde players are by then alliance, and without a rule that makes them change back, they stay alliance … and since “many” ppl did it, the recruitment pool has grown too. Maybe back to a balanced level. But yeah, probably a very optimistic way of thinking.
Easier - ignor the problem (for the story) and just introduce cross-faction PvE; still the best solution if read up till now.

1 Like

There is a issue with how you introduced your idea.

“The same characters”, so the mythic racing guilds would not expand or branch out. Even more so, they will require people to maintain multiple chars on both sides which is above and beyond a feasible thing for players that “play” WoW instead of "work’ wow.

1 Like

Honestly.

The Alliance has the better Races.
The alliance has Worgen
The Alliance has better Cities.
The Alliance has a more interesting Lore
The Alliance has the better allied races
The Alliance has the more interesting zones
The Alliance is better in every way the horde is. Yet people go horde.
Everything has been done, Just give the alliance highelves and enable free faction changes.

20 Likes

Everything you listed is subjective.

The only thing I can say is 100 True is Boralus vs Zandalar.

13 Likes

For me, Elves, Draenei, Dwarves. Elves especially has been the alliances biggest draw, and biggest asset - they need to make the alliance elves shine, and not throw so much into humans. With Draenei and Dwarves who also offer very unique things given their back stories. Enough to make them appealing, especially dwarves.

In a nutshell, a serious upgrade and build up for all the alliance races but humans. Biggest assets are Night elves, Void elves, Draenei and Dwarves - with their racial lore from pre-sundering to current, The Void, Argus to current and the 3 clans, they could be incredible in ways the devs just didn’t bother with in order to focus on the horde.

• Firstly for Elves, the biggest player attraction: Buff them, work better on their models, give new faces for night elves and void elves, new features, arcane, star (on kaldorei - children of the stars? esp for highborne customisations), void cosmos features, cool stuff on void elves (not just tentacles and eyes -but that too - )

• Write engaging stories - we have wanted night elf highborne, night elf city developments, in addition to extending features like night elf priestess stuff with the Black moon that they started. Draenei developments, copy the great art assets like Auchindouin from AU Draenor to Azeroth, get them involved. Show the warrior, iron heart of the Dwarves who seem to have no reputation vs the horde scene - compare wow dwarves to warhammer ones… it’s obvious they’ve been nerfed in wow, just like Nelves and just about every other alliance race.

• Write engaging plots for void elves, let high elves be an official selection option on the void elf tab, do the same for Highborne on the night elf tab - develop new cities for them that look really amazing.

• Write stories that see them powerful and eclipsing the blood elves and the Nightborne.

• Don’t leave the Draenei out either cos like the Night elves they are vastly under utislised.

• Play to the strengths… people love the lord of the rings trio of elf human and dwarf, give em tthat.

Get the alliance feeling good imo.

Change Alliance Perception

The alliance needs to be perceived as a really cool faction universally. I’m sorry but the horde just eclipses it (only pure alliance lovers don’t see it cos they hate the horde racial themes). On the elves, Blood/Nightborne look and have far more than Night/Void elves, Cool factor on Orcs, Trolls, Tauren eclipses humans, dwarves. (unless again you absolutely hate the horde race themes) - when you think of how poorly the dwarves have been driven in the story, only appearing for the excerpts relating to the titans, nothing about their siege prowress, ining or engineering. Trolls and Tauren have more and better story development than dwarevs

• Goblins are more fun than gnomes almost every time they show, they don’t play up the gnome advantages enough. Again, exception would only be if the gnome deal really appelas to you, but for most neutrals - goblins is where you’d wanna hang out.

• Worgen seem lost, well a bit going nowhere atm, Give Gilneas back to the worgen, then introduce Night elf worgen as an allied race - make them a half animal / elf hybrid for elf form with cool features like Antlers (varying types), animal parts (like tail, legs, arms - that you can swap - including having a normal night elf leg, but with sharper claws). Let them really appeal to a forest elf vibe meets wolf lycanthrope while the Gilnean worgen continues fulfilling it’s original fantasy tied to Gilneas, Silverpine, zombies and vampires. Dual niche

• Bring Eredar in as an Allied race, extend the Illidari’s role with them and skew it heavily towards the allianece, just like the Ebon Blade and DKs are skewed heavily to the horde.

• Replicate both Auchindouin and Shattrath on Azeroth for the Draenei and Lightforged. Auchindouin 2 goes to Dalaran Crater, the Lightforged with Turalyon are more involved with human affairs and the church of hte light, and much politics between them, undead, lightforged undead and demons.

Develop Draenei city in Azurmyst in a revamp.

• Do something special with void elves and high elves, invent a story like when paired with a high elf partner, void elves are able to command much more of the void and 0 whispers vulnerability - as the partner serves as a tether counter. And so a group of high elves choose to work with the void elves also discoveirng a void compliment enables them to draw lgiht powers more effecitvely.

• e.g. Void elves are viewed as much more stable because of the pairing, and when you design a void elf or high elf, you can design the opposite (i.e. high elf or void elf) as the partner just like Worgen tab allows you to switch to human and design the human form. In game your partner accompanies you like a follower, but is disabled in raids and m+ dungeons, BGs and arenas. Give the void elves an amazing new city o

• Humans: Actually they don’t need to do anything here, they’ve actually done enough, let the other groups come up.

• Open up Mechagon, quest zone, sanctuary too, and same with gnomeragan. Make it exciting.

In the Batle for Dazar’alor run up and execution was the first time in WoW’s entire history the allinace looked better than the horde, more competent and winners, it hasn’t actually felt like that EVER in WoW’s 16 year history till then, this was also followed up by Tyrande/Malfurion’s Terror of Darkshore and warfront opening quests, which were also the first time the night elves actually looked somewhat powerful and dangerous in WoW’s 16 year history.

You need much more of that, it’s been 15 years of the horde looking invincible, powerful, but also heroic (as well as villainous too, but they save themselves from their villains) it’s horde centric. - change that.

21 Likes

Alliance has Goldshire Inn, that’s both the biggest asset and the biggest problem.

13 Likes

Spacegoats for me the only real reason. I would not play WoW otherwise though.

2 Likes

We are well past the point where this has anything to do with developer attention, content, or perhaps even balance.

At this point it’s about social pressures. This is simply people moving to the big city.

The only way to stop it is through massive inconvenience, “traffic jams” (i.e. queues) and other extreme measures to make it almost impossible to play the game on the Horde unless it shrinks.

I am quite sure most would not find this acceptable.

But start with opening up free faction transfers at the very least, and shut down Mercenary mode. At least do not give Horde the advantages of being Alliance in terms of social structure.

8 Likes

At this point, either changes do nothing, either changes are too impactful that it would in the end kill the game.

Sadly, what used to be warcraft’s soul, aka factions, is what’s killing this game hence why only merging faction for PvE would be the only thing that would prevent a 80%Horde ratio.